Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
A Long Week

A Long Week

March 19, 2014

These-two The-Beginning Golden-Light Hand Watching-brother Working

Embrooidery-Sketch Spring Oh-no. In-Progress Looking

Don’t let that first picture fool you, for it has been a long week, and it is only Wednesday. Some weeks are like that, I suppose. They are the types of weeks where you dream of knitting and tea, of warm baths and long naps. You don’t actually get any of that, but you can still dream. They are the types of weeks where your kids cry, you cry, and life goes on.

There have been smiles too, of course, thankfully. Baby smiles make everything better, and this babe can sure smile bright. These golden days we are having make me feel dreamy about the turn of the season. It is hard to believe that Spring is truly almost here, and that flowers, and color, and warm nights, and long days, and lazy moments are just around the corner. Oh I can not wait.

My knitting seems to be dominated by texture right now. Do you all ever go through periods in your crafting where you see a pattern to what you like to work with? I find that the more texture I come across at the moment, the happier I am. I am working on a knitting pattern for a beautiful eBook that friends are putting together, and I am just giddy to finish it up. It is simple but fun, and a great piece to wrap up after a long yoga practice or a cool spring evening. The only hard part of these coming warmer months is saying goodbye to the wool that has been slipping through my fingers this winter. I knit all year round, but that heavy and warm knitting of thick wools is generally only saved for colder months.  I will miss it. I think that I will turn my attention to light cardigans in vibrant colors to ease the transition. I see an adult Tea Leaves in my very near future, and perhaps a simple dress for Emma Jeanne.

My embroidery basket is still never far from my feet, and my love of this art was certainly the surprise of the winter. I have been embroidering for many years, but never to this extent, and never with this must desire to learn about the fundamentals. I have piles of samplers from Rebecca that are keeping me busy, and I am taking a thread to a few of my sketches as well (the one of the left). So much vibrancy and life in embroidery. It is certainly a craft that cultivated patience as well as beauty, for I could knit an entire sweater in the same time it takes me to complete a simple sampler. It is worth it, though, in the end.

I planted all of our greens last week, and this is by far the earliest I have ever done so. I wonder how much I am going to regret that one in a few weeks when an inevitable snow storm comes roaring in. Oh well, I will take my chances for now. I am craving fresh vegetable from the garden, and I am going to follow in the inspiration that many of you give, and expand our garden this year.  I can’t wait to walk Emma Jeanne through the sunflowers and zucchinis, beans and lettuces, and let her taste each one. What a joy that must be for a baby.

I am procrastinating on returning to this crazy week, can you tell? I need some good book recommendations. I haven’t read much since Emma Jeanne was born, and I am ready to get lost in the evenings inside of a great novel. Again those dreams of warm evenings, soft candles, and a fresh picnic blanket are creeping into my thoughts. What have you read lately that you just love?

Okay, I must get back now. Perhaps I should bake a chocolate cake, that always helps. I swear I think that I saw a post from someone last week that talked of making a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting like my Nana Catherine use to make. I need to go and find that recipe. Yes, it is a chocolate cake kind of week.

Kim March 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

Love those samplers, thanks for the link to Rebecca’s shop. Hope the chocolate cake helps and that your week does get better.

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:38 am

Rebecca’s work is amazing. Hope you enjoy it.

Tracey March 19, 2014 at 8:28 am

I am reading The Snow Child, everyone has told me how wonderful it is and they are right, maybe you would like it too.
Yes, some weeks are just too long, chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting would make any week better!

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

Thank you! That book looks great, and I am going to check it out today :).

This Little Blue Homestead March 19, 2014 at 8:34 am

We had a brownie week two weeks ago, totally know how you feel!!

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:41 am

Brownies might be next 🙂

MamaAshGrove March 19, 2014 at 10:49 am

Hi Heather,
It has been a long week for us too!
I have had my eye on some of those samplers, thinking of getting the color wheel for my girl’s birthday- she is an artist, and also love handwork so I think it would be perfect for her 🙂
I am also in need of some good reading. . . and I second “The Snow Child,” if you haven’t read it yet. Also, “Wonder” is a beautiful book.

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

I loved Wonder! Jacob read it first, and he was so in love with it that he begged me to read it as well. The Color Wheel looks like such a neat sampler. Rebecca is doing a giveaway next week for an original sampler, so be sure to enter!

Eryn March 19, 2014 at 11:44 am

I hope the remainder of your week feels easier. We have had many sleepless nights with the baby working on his molars. The new knitting project sounds lovely. Will you please link to your friends e-book when it is published?

Not a novel, but I am really enjoying Hand Wash Cold by Karen Maezen Miller this week.

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank you for the book recommendation, and yes I will be sure to post a link to the eBook when it is published :).

KC March 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Oh Heather I feel you! Many hugs. I threw in the towel last week for sure.

I love the paisley! I adore all paisley. It’s such a happy pattern.

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

I sure hope that this week was better for you! Hugs to you as well.

kyndale March 19, 2014 at 10:16 pm

It’s almost the weekend! I think this wacky spring has made everyone a bit crazy and I’ve been really tired to boot. Then it’s been the full moon. Sending love! Kyndale

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:43 am

I hope that it is something that easily passes, that is for sure. Thank goodness that it is almost the weekend.

a little crafty nest March 20, 2014 at 12:39 am

Dear Heather…Oh how I wish we lived closer…there is so much to talk about ~ long weeks, embroidery samplers, knitting (always knitting), chocolate cake, and photography. Honestly, your photos make me speechless! What a gift you have, my friend. Do you have any remay cloth for your greens? I have lettuce growing indoors under lights as I’m also craving the good stuff. Wishing you much happiness for the rest of your week.
xo Jules

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

Oh I wish we lived closer too! That would be so much fun. I would still love to chat photography with you someday. Do you grow the lettuce through the entire cold season under lights? I have heard that is a good way to keep things year round, and I am really considering it next year.

sondra March 20, 2014 at 7:49 am

anything by John Steinbeck but particularly East of Eden – it is my all-time favorite book and one of my son’s was even named Samuel after a main character. It is a book I turn to during harder times and one I have read about ten times so far; I read it every summer at least. The imagery is beautiful so read it slowly and soak up every word. It was a book that he wrote for his two sons to teach them about life, becoming a man, their family (it is semi-autobiographical) and about love. Other good books by Steinbeck include Pastures of Heaven, Winter of our Discontent, Grapes of Wrath (of course), Cannery Row…oh I could go on. Just don’t read the Pearl just yet because it is too sad for reading when you have a new little one. enjoy!

Heather March 21, 2014 at 11:45 am

I have that look downstairs, and you are right, this might be the perfect time to get it back out. Thank you!

Tonya March 20, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Love, love the embroidery Heather – what fun.

Debra March 21, 2014 at 2:39 pm

LOVE the embroidery. LOVE the babies even more 🙂

Meryl March 23, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I’m having trouble finding a book too. A friend recommended “The Good Pig”, so I think I’m going to hunt that down. Loving all of your embroidery posts and pins, though!