Healing

February 18, 2014

Blowing Running

Relaxation DSC_7794-copy Walking-together Snowball-fight Snowball Eating-Avocadoes Eating Grey On-the-bridgeOh my, I am becoming the random blog writer, aren’t I? These past two weeks have been spent recovering from back-to-back surgeries, and I have to admit that the healing process was much rougher than I thought that it would be. For once, I let myself rest. There really was no other choice, as my body seemed different this time than in the past.

Healing is one of the most important processes that we can go through, both emotional and physical, and yet we are so often encouraged to get back up, get back in the saddle, get moving on with life. Stepping away from things, and giving our bodies a true chance to heal is almost seen as an indulgence, or a sign of weakness. I find that to be so odd, as healing is a part of living a long and fulfilled life, developing strength, and ensuring vitality, and yet I have certainly always had a very rough relationship with the healing process. Taking time for myself, and oh my asking for help are things that I have needed to work on for a long time.

The past year has taught me a lot about healing. It has been 11 months since I went into pre-term labor with Emma Jeanne, and was put on bed rest. It has been 7 months since her cesarean, and now this final process of healing a body a little banged up has begun. In caring for someone else, I have been reminded about caring for myself. Taking it slow, guarding what I feel I want to do with my time, choosing to eat, rest, and live in a way that built my body up, rather than continue the patterns of ill health that I truly feel are out there in our day to day world. Life has been so different this past year than in any other in my mothering years, and although I am honestly looking forward to getting back to a more active life with my kids, I feel nothing but gratitude for learning and embracing healing ways.

I was reading an article today that suggested that children who get even a lack of one hour of sleep a night can, overtime, digress one to two developmental years behind their peers who are sleeping an adequate amount. That is is astounding. If we take just that one fact, that one statistic, we know how important the idea of rest and well being can be. The body simply can not heal without our help. There are many that say that life is just too busy, there are too many things that need to be done, accomplished, etc. for healing to be a priority. I believe that there are always ways to step back, scale down, and live simpler that allow us to take the time that we need to heal. Rest and healing do not have to mean a total retreat from the world (although some times that it is just plain necessary), but more a mind set that we will do what it takes to allow our body and our mind to recover from whatever life event we are facing. Learning to come home from work, or from school, or from wherever our life has taken us and sit quietly, take a bath, and rest is possible. Saying no to ourselves or our children being involved in every life activity is possible. Creating a home environment where rest is encouraged, where taking a walk and letting the fresh air guide us is possible. Healing takes an embracing attitude, and the knowledge that each of us knows how to heal ourselves, we just have to agree to do so.

I am hoping that in seeing the way that I have protected my body and embraced rest, that my children will remember the importance of healing as well. It feels weird to say that it takes practice to create a healing mindset, but it does. Healing is a practice, and learning to look at our lifestyle, our food, our time management as a source of healing is as much a skill as learning to knit or fix a computer. I assume that these are skills that we will continue to cultivate and strengthen, but this year has been a good starting place.

Andrea February 18, 2014 at 9:07 am

Heather, all my best wishes for a full recovery. Sounds like you’re doing the work your body needs…the work of rest. This past weekend, after putting on a party Saturday night, the boys and I spent most of Sunday and Monday lounging around the house, reading, drawing, knitting. I did get us all outside to play at least once each day, but otherwise, we let our inner desire guide us, and for most of us (except for the perpetual motion child, who kept going outside to try to catch a wild turkey–in his pajamas and boots and coat; and except for my husband who doesn’t sit still) it involved a lot of rest. I think we all needed it, but I still couldn’t help feeling a little guilty that we SHOULD be doing something, going somewhere, making something of the days. Thanks for the reminder that resting is doing something. Also, oh, my god, I love that orange and green quilt! Gorgeous (as is the baby on it)!

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

I love that quilt too Andrea, it is very special indeed.

This Little Blue Homestead February 18, 2014 at 9:10 am

Sounds like you are getting the rest you need which is wonderful. I’m realizing the consequences of inadequate rest the hard way with a 7 month old who keeps getting teeth and not sleeping. Emma has the most beautiful eyes and the image of a toddler chowing down on the salad warmed my heart. Sending restful and healing wishes your way.

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:29 am

Thank you! Rest is a hard one with a 7 month old, for sure. Emma is just beginning to get teeth, nothing popped out yet, but we can tell she is restless and hurting :(.

Meryl February 18, 2014 at 9:12 am

I saw those rest stats too, and was amazed. It really has me committing to a more regular bedtime for everyone!

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:29 am

It is just scary to think that one hour loss could cause so much damage.

a little crafty nest February 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

Dear Heather,

I also am sending you lots of healing energy and welcome rest. It is so true what you write about how our culture is just not very hip to taking the time to nurture one’s health with adequate rest and with focus on our own body’s healing and restorative powers. It seems to be go go go! I also am hopeful those stats are wrong (though I know better) because around here, sleep is ever elusive. We are up so many times a night caring for our daughter and this will be our reality until she takes over her own lifelong care. Type 1 Diabetes does not sleep. :( However, nurturing ourselves in other ways is a priority in our home, so maybe that helps balance it out (asked in a hopeful kind of way)?

Heather, your photos are stunning! Lately I am wanting to get better at taking photos…I have had my camera for 3 years now and use it like a point and shoot still. I need some inspiration. And your photos are amazing!!!!!!! You also have some pretty adorable models!

Lots of love to you…I certainly hope you continue to cultivate that time to heal your body.
xo Jules

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

Thank you Jules! I am so excited to hear that you are ready to play a little deeper with photography. Email me anytime and we can chat about your camera. I am just about to switch gear again, so I am back into learning mode as well :)

Debbie Qalballah February 18, 2014 at 11:34 am

Never underestimate convalescence – I went without sleep for the midget’s first year and I’m still affected by it. If our body’s requests aren’t heard it can quite insistent until you give in anyway. xx

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:30 am

I agree. It is amazing the long term effects of lack of sleep.

Hannah February 18, 2014 at 11:56 am

Oh, yes – I’m sat here nodding away. I definitely needed to read this. I have such a hard time in doing this for myself despite preaching it to others all the time.
Happy healing, Heather xx

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:34 am

See that is where I am at too. I have talked about taking care of ourselves a lot in the past, but when true convalescence is needed, I have not always been good about taking it. This was an important time and step for me.

Adrie February 18, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Heather – lots of love and blessings to you – and healing light! I absolutely agree – we don’t live in a culture that values healing and rest, but it is oh so critical, and as we learn that ourselves, we teach it to our children, too. Your photos are stunning, as always – and your beautiful little ones! Oh my. Wishing you lots of space and time, and most of all, hoping you feel that you have space and time.
With love,
Adrie

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:34 am

Thank you my sweet friend. I hope that you are feeling better after the flu. No fun at all!

kyndale February 18, 2014 at 3:06 pm

I’m glad that the surgeries are over and you can start healing. It sometimes takes a long time to heal, especially if you aren’t getting rest. If you don’t get rest, you aren’t wanting to eat well, you can’t be patient. It’s a domino effect. Now that I’m older and my babes are getting older, I put a huge amount of effort toward getting rest (and drinking enough water!). ♥ ♥♥

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:35 am

Yes, I have to remind myself everyday that this is a process, and healing is not always quick.

KC February 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Sending love and healing. I’m glad you have been able to take it easy. I imagine it would be hard todo with a new baby and three boys! And as for being a casual blogger, that’s ok! I don’t think any of us should feel pressure to blog everyday. I only blog when I have something to say that sings to me.

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thank you so much. I agree, only saying something where there is something on our hearts is a good way to write.

Janet February 19, 2014 at 4:51 am

Beautiful post Heather. Thank you. I needed this today as I am at a place that I simply say “I walk by faith and not by sight.” My body is in need of healing and I believe the good Lord wants me well. I am resting in Him.

Heather February 20, 2014 at 9:37 am

I believe that you should be well too. Glad that your journey is a healing one.