First a Hello, and Then a Goodbye

ROTH8

ROTH9

ROTH10

ROTH11

ROTH12

ROTH13Past projects from Rhythm of the Home

First, thank you so much for the comments and emails from yesterday’s post. I am always so uplifted by you all, and I can’t believe how much support and care you have given to my family and I over the years. Thank you Thank you.

Today is a hard day. After four years, 16 editions, and 1195 published articles, Bernadette and I said goodbye to Rhythm of the Home with this final holiday launch. It was one of those monster decisions. The magazine has been a major influence in our lives, and something that we poured our blood, sweat, and tears into. It is such a strong community of creators and writers, and letting go of that is by far the hardest part.

The face of online writing and publishing is shifting, and rapidly, and Bernadette and I did not want to ever charge for ROTH. It was our sincere goal to keep the magazine free, and open, and available for everyone to read and contribute to. It was in that spirit that we chose to end our run.

I can not say thank you enough to everyone who contributed, read, and supported ROTH. We have a really heavy heart today, and I don’t think that will fade easily. The magazine will stay open for years to come, and we hope that everyone will stop in each season to gather what they can to create the traditions and memories that we were aiming for when we started. I always love to go and look through the old editions, especially that first one. Oh my, we were so lost on what we were doing back then. We were still shooting pictures, and baking bread, and sewing tea towels the day before we launched. It was chaotic, but it was a blast.

I wrote two final pieces for this edition: Pursing your Dreams, and Becoming the Storyteller. Both were really close to my heart, and a good note to end on. I hope that you enjoy them.

I suppose now I will have to save all the crafting and creating goodness for this space. For now, I think that I will take the weekend to read through this new edition, reflect on the past pieces, and enjoy the goodness that the magazine has given.

Kara October 31, 2013 at 6:15 am

Oh, wow. I imagine that must have been such a tough decision to make, for many reasons. I hope, now that you have decided, that it feels easier and lighter – the relief that comes with knowing you are doing something for the best, even if it is a very hard thing.

ROTH has been such a blessing to me, and many, and that you’ve given us this gift? One of the best kindnesses of the internet. Thank you! Thank you for giving us that great space, thank you for keeping it authentic, and thank you for knowing when the time was right to let it go.

Best wishes to you, friend!

arianne October 31, 2013 at 9:53 am

Goodbye ROTH. Thanks for all the great memories and ideas over the years. P.S. Your little girl is so precious. I love my four boys with everything in me. But to have at least one daughter has been such a treasure. Hugs!

Carrie @ November Morning October 31, 2013 at 11:06 am

ROTH has been such a treasure to so many of us. One can only imagine how much work it has been over the years. I must admit I shed a bittersweet tear learning this was the final edition. Thank you so very much for all you have shared with us the last four years. I hope your future adventures are just as joyful!♥

tracy October 31, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I’ve been a ROTH lover since day one, and I’m brewing a strong cuppa’ so I can read the afternoon edition during our afternoon down time. So sad to see it going, but grateful for the inspiration it has inspired, thank you thank you thank you!

KC October 31, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thank you for bringing so much goodness to our lives. I go back to ROTH every single season for inspiration. :) I’m so glad I got to be a part of it.

Sarah S November 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thank you so much for ROTH. It has been such a beautiful place to stop with a cup of coffee every season. I cannot imagine how much work must have gone into it. Thank you, thank you. Will the archives remain up?

Peace to you and yours.

Kelly November 1, 2013 at 11:48 am

thank you for doing it for so long, a labor of love. sad to see it go but I understand.

Kyce November 1, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for the gift of ROTH, for following that dream thread and bringing such beauty and inspiration into the world to nourish and deepen the lives of so many of us. I have so much respect and empathy for your decision to let those four years stand on their wondrous feet, and to move forward with your creative lives in new, possibly simpler ways. ROTH will live on, and I bet someone comes along to make it into a book for you, and also for all of us who know what a treasure it is. But sit back, and let that happen in its way. You have worked long and hard on this, and it is complete exactly at is.