Yarn Along :: Dreaming

March 27, 2013

::Dream::

a series of thoughts, images, or emotions occurring during sleep — compare rem sleep

an experience of waking life having the characteristics of a dream: as a visionary creation of the imagination : daydream

a state of mind marked by abstraction or release from reality : reverie

an object seen in a dreamlike state : vision

something notable for its beauty, excellence, or enjoyable quality

a strongly desired goal or purpose

something that fully satisfies a wish : ideal

Joining Ginny for Yarn Along today.

Dreaming is one of the most beautiful of the human experiences. Both while awake, and asleep, dreaming can take us to places that only our hearts knew we wanted to travel.

A few days back Bernadette and I were chatting online and she asked me “What are you going to do with all of that knitting if this baby turns out to be a boy?”

It was a logical question, since over the weekend I had posted to Instagram a photo of some rather lovely lavender yarn that was quickly making it’s way into becoming a baby sweater. Or should I say, blouse. You see, I have been doing a bit of knitting, and some of it has a distinct feminine vibe. Slowly, a few sweaters have materialized with ruffles, lace, and detail that is beautifully suited to a girl. So, you ask, do I know what we are having?

Not even a little bit.

I am dreaming, and my oh my, it is a beautiful dream at that.

I would love to have a daughter, it is something that graces my thoughts at least a few times a day, and certainly something that I have wished on just a few stars over. Friends have wondered if I am setting myself up for disappointment, but I gotta tell you, I would rather dream a big dream and take my chances on it coming true than to never express what is really on my heart.

Does that mean that I would be disappointed with a son, heck no! My three boys have to be three of the most loving towards their mama, and they have made my life so darn good, I have no right to even think of a fourth. No matter how much I love them, I still choose to dream that we might know what it is like to raise a daughter, that they might know what it is like to love a sister, and that I might get a little bit more feminity on my side at the dinner table.

So what will I do if it is a boy? First, thank the universe that he is healthy and happy. Second, wrap up those sweaters and become the best gift giver of baby clothes that my friends have ever known. It isn’t scary, it isn’t risky, it is a dream. I fully intend to ride that dream all the way into the labor and delivery room, and embrace and love whatever we are given.

Dream big my friends. As far as we know, this is the one and only life we get, and we should be willing to embrace the dream, even if we know full well that it only has a 50/50 chance of coming true. I pray every day that my kids take some big risks in their lives, that they wish and hope and dream for what they want, and that they embrace what they are blessed with.

And hey, can you imagine the love that a mother of four boys will get? My life is a dream already.

Michelle March 27, 2013 at 7:11 am

Very inspiring! I love your attitude. Dream big. Thank you.

renee~heirloomseasons March 27, 2013 at 8:13 am

Heather, my sweet friend, sometimes I dream of a girl for you too :)
I was happy to hear from you yesterday, happy to see you here, I will come later to catch up more.
Beautiful knitting, beautiful baby, beautiful family! Love to you all! Renee

Eryn March 27, 2013 at 8:53 am

I think this is the loveliest post I’ve ever read regarding dreams of a new baby’s gender. As a mother of 3 boys also I would feel similar if we had a fourth child.

Your knitting is lovely!

Erin March 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

I remember dreaming these same dreams. As each of my boys came along, I left a corner of a drawer free for a tiny stash of girlie things. When my daughter was born nearly four years ago, it was such a wonderful feeling to see her wear and use those long-collected items. If you end up with four boys, do save some of your girlie things –maybe even for granddaughters! :)

swanski March 27, 2013 at 10:31 am

Well your baby will be your baby whether it’s a boy or a girl! You are one of the few that is waiting til delivery. When I had mine (cough) over 20 years ago it was only just becoming popular to know the sex. We opted to be surprised. Our first was a girl (yay!) and then our second was a boy (!?!?!). You know what? I loved both equally. Can’t wait to see what you get!!

Lisa March 27, 2013 at 11:21 am

Love this Heather – what a great perspective to share. Dream big – good words as I embark on a cross-country move with my family to a new life.

Ginny March 27, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I love this, Heather, and completely agree with you.

Hannah March 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Lovely post, Heather – good for you for allowing yourself to dream.
When I was pregnant I didn’t know what sex the baby would be but I seemed to just *know* that I wouldn’t need any girly things. At about 36 weeks I dithered over some pink outfits at a second hand sale but I ended up leaving them there for someone else because it just felt wrong. I had a boy, of course, and never did manage to find a way to explain that deep knowledge.

Tonya March 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Oh Heather – just perfect – yes, dream – and then love what you are blessed with – so perfect!
My husband and I have been working through helping him realize his dreams -nothing he has ever let himself do, actually something he has never even really let himself acknowledge – the result – anger, disappointment, grief and not fully living – and it also has hindere our relationship – you are an amazing example for your family.

Lindsey March 27, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I think verbalizing a dream like you’ve done here can be one of the scariest parts about dreaming, and also something that lends the dream heft through the process of sharing. Whatever happens with it, once shared we can have people support us and that feels good.

Best wishes for your new one’s wellness and your own. And for your dream. :)

Kristen March 27, 2013 at 7:01 pm

What perfect words to describe a mama in waiting! We have inklings and secret hopes but always end up blessed beyond our wildest dreams no matter the outcome. Beautiful knitting!

Katherine March 27, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Great post! And love the sweater pattern. Going to try and find the book now.

Meryl March 27, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I just assumed–based on your knitting–that you knew. I think I like that you don’t know, but are knitting away anyway, even better, though.

Beth Curtin March 28, 2013 at 1:49 am

Gosh, Heather! I haven’t visited your blog for a while and it is a beautiful place to be. You have it, the creative power to make the world a more beautiful place. Beth

Esme March 28, 2013 at 10:36 am

I have three boys along with you Heather. My last was born at the same time as your last. I am planning on trying for one more very soon…we have a move on the horizon so I want to get through that first:) I am ALREADY knitting girl things and I dream about having a little girl too. You are brave, so very brave for posting this and letting your dreams live. I understand you only as a mother of 3 sons could. I love my boys SO SO much and another would just make me thrilled…but how I would love a litte girl too. I will be watching anxiously to see which gift you get. My best to you and your family.

Cynthia K. March 28, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I’m planning to do the same in reverse. I have 4 girls, and I’m dreaming of a boy. I’d love to know what it would be like to raise a son, too. Of course, I’d be happy with another girl, buti as well dream.

meghann March 29, 2013 at 7:15 am

Oh my goodness, that bouse is beautiful! I need another little girl to knit lovely things like that for; I didn’t pick up knitting again until Asher was born & there just aren’t as many sweet little boy knits… I love those ‘in threes’ – for a while that was my go-to new-baby gift. Maybe I’ll knit another one soon…

I don’t think I knew you were expecting again. Or maybe I did, but I forgot? It seems like a few of my favorite bloggers are/have been expecting these last few months & somehow it always takes me by surprise when they give birth even though I’m sure I knew… Congratulations to you – and do dream! When we were waiting to adopt I said I would be happy either way – and of course I would have been – but I thought we would only have one child and I *really*, secretly, wanted a girl. We were considered a dozen times, always for baby boys, but when we were chosen the baby turned out to be a girl. I’m sending little-girl vibes your way. :) xo

meghann March 29, 2013 at 7:15 am

(“bouse” = “blouse”, of course. I think I need another cup of coffee…)

Rebecca April 3, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Congratulations! You know, we had midwife-attended homebirths with no ultasounds. I had such strong feelings with each about their gender – first a boy, then two girls. Now I dream of another little boy. Enjoy those sweet dreams.

Sheila April 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Congratulations. What a lucky little one to be born into a family such as yours. It’s a beautiful dream and beautifully expressed.

More beautiful knitting for you. I love the yarn and the blouse. ( I think I spy some silk sheen in that scrumptious pink on the top :- )

Taisa April 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Oh congrats Heather! I didn’t know you were expecting another bundle of joy! This post is dear to my heart- I also don’t know the gender of this babe, and I know I will feel so very grateful for whichever precious little person comes to us- but dreaming over the odd little frilly thing, or some gorgeous lavender yarn seems unavoidable for any mama of boys. In fact, my boys do it too!