Yarn Along :: Tama and Kanako

October 31, 2012

Oh my, it has been a really long time, hasn’t it? I am not even going to try and explain, let’s just move on to the knitting, shall we? There have been a whirlwind of changes in my household in the past few weeks, and a lot more coming at the turn of the year, but for now there is changing leaves, autumn colors, and the first real sweater wearing of the season.

The Tama sweater had been on my radar since it was released, and I knew that it was something that I wanted to do for Landon this autumn. I came across the brightest of orange yarn at a trip into my LYS a few weeks back, and I knew exactly what to do with it. Landon’s daddy calls him his little Punkin, so a sweater to match seemed appropriate. Add in a few fall leaves as buttons, and the sweater will carry our little one all the way through the season.

I also tried my hand at some longies for the coming cold, and oh my, I think that I have found a new passion. The Kanako Pants are a wonderful pattern to start with, and I love the texture, stitch change and drape that they give. I would love to get a few more off the needles for Landon before the real cold sets in.

As for what is on my needles this week, a little something just for me. I figure every mama needs a cowl, and if you have all boys in your family, a pink cowl at that. The Noble Cowl has a lovely stitch pattern that caught my eye, and I am excited for a cold weather day and a little snow to wear it with.

On my nightstand is a book I feel the need to read for a second time. Hold Onto Your Kids is a great resource for staying an active and engaged part of our children’s lives, and helping to make sure that family, rather than just friends, is a guiding force for our kiddos. I love it this time just as much as the first.

I feel somewhat silly writing about knitting and books in a time when so many people have endured a terrible storm. My heart is with all of you who are beginning to dig out from Hurricane Sandy, and I hope that the road to restoration is a quick and safe one.

Melissa October 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love the orange sweater! I agree, a pink cowl is a must!

anushka October 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm

love it all!

rachel October 31, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Does Landon ever look sweet in all those knits! And the pink cowl looks perfect – so soft!

Tracey October 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Landon looks amazing in all his mama knits and I know he is nice and warm, inside and out!
I have one girl, the oldest, and four boys so when my daughter left for college I was left
here surrounded by ‘guy stuff’. Yes, you really do need some pink, girlie items for yourself,
it’s a requirement for a mom of boys! 😉

Kim October 31, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Beautiful hand knits!

Luisa October 31, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Love these sweet knits. They’re just beautiful. I’m definitely going to add the book to my wishlist. I recently had a frustrating conversation with someone who felt that socialization and development should come from peers. My respons was not enthusiastic because kids need adults more than peers now there is actually book to support what I meant thanks !

Jasmine and Talia's mum October 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The orange sweater! and those pants! cute cute cute!!!

heathermama October 31, 2012 at 10:03 pm

that orange sweater is so lovely. your baby looks so cute.

sylvia November 1, 2012 at 3:39 am

love all the handknits on your babes!! i made the kanoko pants too a while back, although i omitted all seed stitching which technically doesn’t make it a kanoko anymore, but i’m in love with it. and that bright orange sweater is simply adorable!!!

Anke November 1, 2012 at 7:06 am

Aww, just look at all that knitted goodness… Love the orange sweater and the cowl is going to be so pretty.

Andrea November 1, 2012 at 7:18 am

What a cute knitted up boy! I’m impressed with your productivity! I’m just hoping to get a couple pairs of mittens on and off the needles by Christmas. That book sounds interesting; I’ll have to “add it to the list.”

amanda November 1, 2012 at 9:23 am

cuteness overload! love the orange puerperium, so perfect.

KC November 1, 2012 at 1:00 pm

That orange sweater is amazing, the color is stunning! I’ll have to check out that book!

6512 and growing November 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I just picked that book up at the library today. Glad to hear your recommendation.

Deila November 2, 2012 at 10:27 am

I love your blog, great writing and photos. I have that book, and have not read all of it yet, but you have prompted me to get it out again. I’m one of those crazy moms who decided to homeschool (after my first two kids barely got through the peer system of the public school). Beautiful knitting.

Amber November 11, 2012 at 8:35 am

Those pants are too precious. Your babe is clearly dressed with love.

AG Ambroult November 14, 2012 at 5:30 am

ah! well after leaving my comment on the post about kindness, I think that book might help ME know how to help my girl.
And please, stop it with those knits — they are adorable. Just when I thought that boy couldn’t possible get cuter, you put that outfit on him.

And yeah, I’m on a once or twice a month blogging schedule, so really– no explanation necessary.

Alyssa November 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Oh my my do I love those pants. Beautiful work.

Emmie November 25, 2012 at 6:46 am

I love the knits, they are adorable! I also love the book Hold Onto Your Kids…As my oldest is about to turn 19, I can say honestly that I wish I had read this book much sooner, but am glad I did find it. Thanks for sharing your beautiful fiber work.