Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
The Moments that Matter - Shivaya Naturals

The Moments that Matter

September 4, 2012

I suppose that it is safe to say that life has been busy. A good busy, but busy none the less. This space has been quiet, but our days have been anything but.

These past few months have seen some real changes for our family, and part of that change has demanded that we step back and self-reflect on the way that we are choosing to live our lives, the work that we are doing, and the commitments that we have taken on.

So often life seems too short, and our time here too quick. The days go by so fast, my children grow, and I wonder where the time has gone. Many days I live slowly and with purpose, many I do not. Many I waste, many I savor, but I do manage to find joy in them all.

Tomorrow sees three years of Rhythm of the Home come to light, and it feels like a big milestone. These past three years have been some of the most fulfilling, and some of the most challenging. I am left with such gratitude for the community of people who have supported the publication, and the work that many have given to it’s pages.

I have to admit that it also highlights some of the choices that have been in front of me, as I strive to balance being a mom and being a writer with every turn. These past few months I have stepped away from this space, and many others, in order to be sure that I was indeed living the authentic life that I try and convey. It is an odd thing to write about parenting, rhythm, balance, health and well being, and to try and stay in balance with all of those things at the same time. I had begun to ask myself if my life had become a series of blog posts that I was writing, or if my writing was indeed a reflection of the the life that we were living.

I have used this summer to connect deeply with my family, to close us off just a little bit and spend the time that we need just being together. The days have been wonderful, and I think that we all came away feeling a little lighter. Truth be told, I was so very glad to realize that our days looked just about the same as when I use to write consistently about them. For some reason, even if it sounds silly, that was important to me. I think that I can return to this space with the knowledge that the life that we have shown is a reflection of the life that we lead, rather than one that we want to portray.

I believe so thoroughly in the topics that I discuss here, and at Rhythm of the Home. I believe in families reconnecting through nature and art, I believe in looking deeply at the food that we eat. I love to share crafts, and recipes, and the special moments in our lives, and perhaps most important, I love the community that has been created, no matter how big or small, in the blogs and magazines of so many of you.

As summer fades, and Autumn begins to make it’s arrival, I look forward to all that is to come. I look forward to sharing here, to watching ROTH continue to grow, and to slowly reconnecting to this space that has always meant so much.

Tonya - Plain and Joyful Living September 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

Thank you for sharing your choices – and I can share with you how challenging it can be to combine and make time for all the many daily “needs” of being a mom and wife and small business owner.
Thinking of you and thanking you for your sharing.

Heather September 5, 2012 at 8:54 am

Oh my Tonya, I can only imagine how busy life must be for you. The balance is hard, but so very worth it.

Meryl September 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

Well said!

Rochelle September 4, 2012 at 8:47 am

Beautifully said Heather. I look forward to all that’s to come.

Tawnya September 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

I love the pictures <3 and the authenticity.

Susan Urciuoli September 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Glad that you spent some of that precious time off with us! Loved seeing you and yours….Thank You, susan

Heather September 5, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am so glad that I was able to visit all of you as well. It was a blessing.

KC September 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yeah! Congratulations on year three. You’ve created such a wonderful resource for families. I go back to the back issues with every turn of the seasons to find inspiration. I look to the contributors to find new people to connect with. I wish I had a voice that could shout to the top of the world and say, “This is a great magazine, read it!”

I’m glad you found your balance with family and blog. I would hate to see you go away, I find this space to be so peaceful.

Kim Akari September 4, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I am looking forward to this next year of ROTH; I do love the work you do Heather. I’m glad to hear that you took some meaningful time off and that all is well with you & your family. Welcome back!

kate September 5, 2012 at 4:43 am

love this so much. It resonates so deeply here, and felt this morning like the permission slip I needed to sit back, breathe, smile, take it all in….Noah is in school today (real, gulp, school)– eighth grade, Heather. EIGHTH. We spent summer trying to find new and collective balances too. Here’s to being gentle on ourselves, and filling our days with what makes us most alive. xoxo

Jen September 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Thank you for sharing “out loud” what I think many blog moms wonder from time to time. I know I did. I used to feel almost guilty if I didn’t blog every day. I eventually had to let it all go. I started a new blog, that reflect an authentic me. I choose not to blog every day. I am happier for it. I wish you many blesssings and joys as you return to a space that brings you comfort. (((hugs)))

Anna September 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm

For some reason it always comes back to balance doesn’t it? It’s so hard to find it and keep hold of if. This summer was incredibly hectic for me — trying to balance my kiddos with my work schedules. I felt like a spinning top. I wish there was a way to add a few hours to the day just so I could catch my breath. So, so glad you found some space to catch yours!