Chasing Summer

August 20, 2012

After what felt like a brutally hot and trying summer, there is a shift in the air that is subtle but clear. The days are just a tad shorter, the nights a little cooler. The golden glow of August has descended on us, and everything just looks more beautiful and alive in it’s light.

These are the days when we spend all of our time out of doors, from breakfast until we fall into bed. These are the days when we lay by the river, skipping stones and floating along the shore. These are the days when the water runs so slowly that all of the kids can run and splash. These are the days when books are read by the light of the fire pit, smores can be called dinner and tents are pitched in the backyard. These are our true lazy days of summer.

The weather shifts fast on the Front Range, and in just a few short weeks we could be seeing the first glimpses of Autumn, but for now we are pretty content to keep our Summer rhythm going. This has been a season filled with many new experiences for just about all of us, and it feels like a time where we are holding onto each other just a little bit tighter. Maybe it is the older boys leaving behind early childhood and venturing into a new phase of life. Perhaps it is Landon entering fully into toddlerhood and bringing with him a spirit that is not easily matched. Whatever the reason may be, I feel grateful having my whole family close this season, and  making the most out of the time that we have together.

Summer babes are never cuter than when they are enjoying the season in a comfy romper. Landon lives in one piece sun suits and I love to see those chubby legs running around all day long.

A few weeks back I came across a pattern for a knitted romper that I was just too excited not to make. I knew that the truly hot weather was just about to break, but I also knew that this was Landon’s last chance to wear something so darn cute, and even if he only ever wore it as pajamas, it was worth it.

Thankfully it was a super quick knit, and he has enjoyed running around in his mama made romper all weekend long. I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino that I had been saving since Jacob’s birth, and was excited to finally find use for. I got gauge perfectly using a size 7 needle, but the piece still came out a little longer than I had hoped. Perhaps this might still fit for a warm weather spring break next year (I know, that is wishful thinking, but a mama can hope).

There is a long sleeve/long pant version of the same pattern that I must admit is tempting to get started on for the cooler season. I am also considering making the top part of the romper into a sweater, as the construction was so simple and quick to knit up.

For now, Landon is just over the moon excited to have the privilege of walking the dog (Jack is so old that he really never strays, so it is a safe chore for Landon to help with), and to have a place so close to home to dip his feet in the river. I, of course, am hoping that the romper can make it just a few more days before it sees the mud, sand, marker and yogurt that only an (almost!) 18 month old boy can bring to it.

We are chasing Summer for all it’s worth, squeezing every last drop of golden sunlight from it’s grasp, and collecting a lot of sweet memories along the way.

My Ravelry notes for the Rhino Romper can be viewed here.

renee ~ heirloom seasons August 20, 2012 at 7:24 am

It certainly looks like you are all making the best of your summer days . We are already feeling the shift down here. A few days ago the intense heat returned, the next day was quite chilly. I already wore a sweater one morning!
The romper is adorable! I marked it on my ravelry page, a longer version could be just right for keeping a little newborn warm this winter :)
Happy days to you and family Heather!
Love, Renee

Nina - Tabiboo August 20, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh look at your beautiful babe in the water – I must agree…such gorgeous chubby legs.

Nina x

Jamie August 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Love the romper. Landon looks just like your mom in these pictures. Miss you all!

Tiffany August 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Your photos are lovely — and I just queued that romper on Rav! It is just adorable, and I know of a couple of little ones due to be born this autumn that I am sure would appreciate looking snazzy in one!

Imene August 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm

The romper is so cute and Landon is so adorable in it.
It is true that they grow out of the rompers too quickly

Emmalina August 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Heather, you’ve just put into words (so much better than I could) exactly how I’ve been feeling this last week. I do so adore this time of year, especially this year when the earlier months felt like a trial to be endured rather than a season to be enjoyed! These gentler days, this softer weather, suits me way more. I feel more myself again, at last!

Enjoy it all and soak it all up, it’s well deserved : )

Tonya - Plain and Joyful Living August 20, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Oh Heather, Landon is just the most adorable little boy:)
Enjoy these days!

Becky August 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oh my! That picture of Landon in his diaper in the water is a HOOT! What a doll!

April August 21, 2012 at 1:49 pm

What wonderful summer pictures! We are starting to shift into cooler weather as well, and enjoying the last nits of summer. Your antipasto pasta looks delicious as well, I will have to try that! :)

Lisa Q August 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I made the comment to my friend the other day that I feel like I am chasing summer…but not quite catching it. So glad you’ve caught it! Love that cold dip photo with the diaper! And how sweet is he to walk the dog….adorable. enjoy your last days of summer!

Gerri August 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh, I could just eat him UP!! Beautiful images and babies…

AG Ambroult August 29, 2012 at 11:57 am

ugh, I know. That shift, while welcome, always seems to come abruptly and then, bam, the kids are back at school.
Landon is rockin’ that romper (which is utterly adorable, by the way) and I can just imagine the expression on his face while he was walking the dog. And that last photo of the big boys says so very much.

a little crafty nest August 31, 2012 at 9:51 am

Heather, these photos are so picturesque. I just want to step into them and be all late-summer-lazy there, too. And that romper ~ oh, my!
xo Jules

Hullabaloo Homestead September 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Look how big your big boys have gotten!! I love your photos and sentiments here. There is just something extremely sentimental in that shift toward fall for me too. Much love mama!

:)Lisa