Antipasto Pasta

August 16, 2012

A few weeks back I ate at one of my favorite places in Colorado: my friend Cindy and Jeff’s house. Cindy is one of those cooks who could take 5 random ingredients in your fridge and make something amazing out of them. Everything that she cooks is truly delicious, and it always leaves me wanting to recreate it when I get home.

At brunch Cindy served an antipasto plate that consisted of mozzarella wrapped in prosciutto, roasted tomatoes, marinated mushrooms and artichokes, and sliced olives. It was the perfect meal with a Pomegranate mimosa and great conversation.

A few days later I was craving that same plate, and it was just as good at dinner as it had been at brunch. I did, however, have a ton left over, but I needed to do something new with it that would ensure that it would not go to waste, while not seeming like I was serving the same meal twice in two days.

This is how we got antipasto pasta.

An antipasto plate has so many wonderful flavors, oils, and juices that it is the perfect, and may I say easy, way to spice up a pasta dish.

A little quinoa pasta served up hot and tossed with the leftover antipasto plate turned out to be a family favorite, especially with the youngest amongst us. Landon found the pasta utterly to his liking, and indulged in quite the helping before the rest of us even sat down.

The pasta can be served with almost any antipasto ingredients, and will need nothing more than a good glass of wine to accompany it. Although the more friends to share it with, the better.

Some days I just love leftovers.

Andrea August 16, 2012 at 8:42 am

Yum! I do this sometimes, scooping up whatever looks good on the “olive bar” at the grocery store and tossing it with spaghetti (although it looks like macaroni mixes better with the good stuff). So easy and delicious!

Heather August 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I know, it is odd but the macaroni really did do up very well in this salad. Some days with those GF pastas, you just never know 🙂

sara August 16, 2012 at 9:17 am

This post made me so very hungry!

Meryl August 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Delicious! This was one of my go-to meals in college, and it’s still great for a quick lunch or dinner!

melanie jennifer August 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

This sounds delicious and is one of those meals when you see it you wonder why you didn’t think of it yourself. So thank you! I’ve added it to my Pinterest, hope you don’t mind!

Heather August 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I had so much left over when I bought all the antipasto ingredients for lunch, that I had to come up with something :). I had that same thought, like “why did it take me this long to come think about this?”

KC August 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Since my husband is from Italy we do a lot of pasta dishes. In the summer pasta salad is one of our favorite. We try to change it up all the time. I do a caprese style with mozzarella chunks, cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic and olive oil. Some times I will add to that kalamata olives and peas. Other times we do mushrooms, peppers, mozzarella, artichokes and kalamatas.

I’ve had whole wheat and rice pasta, but never quinoa. I should try that! 🙂

Heather August 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love that you just toss whatever you have or what sounds good with pasta, I need to do that more. I think that the GF pasta kind of turns me away from that, but the more that I make with the quinoa, the more I feel like I can experiment the way that I would like to :).

Lisa Q August 18, 2012 at 3:17 pm

he is so cute..sitting up there on the table and nibbling away! Sounds delicious! I am really into quinoa right now…so good with veggies for dinner!

AG Ambroult August 29, 2012 at 11:59 am

oh the expressions that boy makes!
antipasto pasta seems so obvious, now that you write about it, but somehow it never occurred to me before. Sounds so good! thanks 🙂

Anna September 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

That boy is so stinkin’ cute! He looks just like your other boys while still being exactly himself. Love that he just got up on the table and dug in.