His Summer Wardrobe

July 23, 2012

This Summer has been a first for me, as I have made most of Landon’s clothes. It was something that I had always wanted to do for Jacob and Elwood, but life (and my sewing skills) had gotten in the way. Although the first year of Landon’s life saw almost nothing handmade, as we spent every moment just soaking each other in and getting to know this growing family of ours, I was hoping for some time to get a few things together as we made our way into Summer. The extreme heat and the fires have made it a little harder to be out of doors as much as usual this season, but it is also the perfect excuse to sit by the sewing machine during those long toddler naps.

Although it has been hot, I still made a few Summer pants for those sweet little chubby legs. I traced a pair of Landon’s pants to use as the pattern, and then cut off 4 inches in the leg for the shorts that are pictured below. A simple hem and elastic waste band makes for such easy construction and wear, and the thin cotton keeps him cool and protected all at the same time.

I have fallen in love with knitting with cotton, and after making the vest at the beginning of the season, I figured it was high time to make a cardigan as well. It seems like everywhere we go this summer the AC is blaring, and although the temps keep topping 100, there is a definite need for layers. I chose to use the Pickles Plain Cardigan pattern (Rav notes can be found here), and it was a fun and quick knit. I am going to fully admit that the arm hole directions tripped me up like you can not believe. I sat for days just staring at the directions wondering what I was missing. I emailed friends, I Skyped my editors, and nothing was clicking together. It turned out to be the easiest bit of arm hole construction I could have imagined, and neat new (new for me anyway) way to put together a sweater. If you ever decide to knit one up and you get stuck, just shoot me a quick email.

Having some white yarn left over from the cardigan, I figured that the kiddo needed another vest as well, and of course, some shorts. This was my first time ever making shorts, and I have been on an obsessive kick ever since. You gotta love something that comes together in the time that the kids are eating breakfast, and that looks so fun to construct and wear.  As I mentioned, I simply cut off 4 inches from the pant pattern that I made above, and followed the same guidelines for making pants. The only change was to make the front flat and to push all the elastic gathering into the back half of the waste band to create a flat front feel.

I have a feeling that I might be making shorts diligently until the end of summer, as this little one spends his days running and playing hard. A bit of soccer with the older brothers, and some fun throwing the ball at each of our heads is a great reminder of how much we all adore this little one, and enjoy seeing him grow up. It is always hard to tell how long a child will enjoy handmade clothes, etc., but I feel blessed that each of my children still seem to love the idea. Landon so proudly wore each of his shorts this weekend, and seemed in 7th heaven with all the attention that gained him. Now the older brothers say it is their turn to sit down to the sewing machine, and make themselves some long board shorts. This should be fun!

Joy July 23, 2012 at 6:56 am

He is such a cutie and is getting so big! All of his handmades are adorable! I really like the Plain Vest. I’ll have to make a few of those for expecting friends. 🙂

Tonya July 23, 2012 at 7:03 am

He is so adorable Heather and I just love the handmades.

Tracey July 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

He is such a doll baby Heather and it is a joy to see him grow.

Tracey July 23, 2012 at 10:04 am

I forgot to tell you thank you for your Breakfast Blend post, I made a batch to add to my morning smoothies and love it.
I have now had to make more Breakfas Blend to share with all of my children.

Heather July 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Oh I am so glad Tracey. I have really loved having it ready made for smoothies, and I am so glad to hear that it has worked for you as well :).

a soulful life July 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Your little boy looks so beautiful in his perfect for Summer Mama made clothes!

Imene July 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love love the pants and the shorts look like a big success!
I haven’t been sewing much for anyone but I just feel the itch to get started again.

Heather July 24, 2012 at 8:22 am

Oh I felt that itch recently as well. I had been away from the sewing machine for much of a year, but when the call came back, I just couldn’t stop 🙂

kendra July 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm

adorable! nice work, mama (the clothes AND the boy!)!

~ joey ~ July 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Oh he is SO darling! I love the clothes you made him!!!!! I bet he can get away with a lot looking that cute?!?
~ joey ~

renee ~ heirloom seasons July 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Dear Heather, This is all so wonderful! I love the cardigan, and all those cute little shorts! I have spent so so many years sewing for my girls, what if this baby coming is boy! If so I will surely be getting lots of sewing inspiration from you!
Well that is exclamation points on every sentence…
I hope all your family is happy and well, I think of you often up there. Right now it is starting to get nice and stormy outside, we have been having a pretty good monsoon season.
You know someday (some year..) we will all have a wonderful picnic day together, and we will definitely have to play backgammon!
Love to you, Renee

Heather July 24, 2012 at 8:23 am

It is so funny, because I was thinking of you yesterday, and hoping that one day soon our families would be able to get together :). I am glad that you are having a good summer, and that the weather is turning nice. Enjoy these baby moments in full.

Adrie July 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Seriously adorable! Oh my goodness. Must make plain pickles vest. But – white???? Now you have to tell us how you wash them, lol.

Heather July 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

I know! There is no trick, that was just a very risky move. I have to admit that I worry too much while he is wearing the white, which is not as much fun as just letting him play in his clothes. I am not sure that I will do that one again.

Meryl July 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Ahhh! What a little gentleman in his striped pants and cardis! He is so cute!

Kim July 24, 2012 at 4:18 am

Oh my, your little man is so adorable. And the handmades are beautiful!

Taisa July 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Oh my, he is so adorable! I love the sweater and vest and the shorts are so cute. Beautiful work mama!

KC July 25, 2012 at 10:31 pm

What a lovely wardrobe! I’ve tried to do the same for my girls. Slowly but surely The store bought clothes are making their way out and really fun and funky clothes are coming in. The other thing I like about handmade is that I can really limit the amount of clothes we have. I find that by having a small number of shirts dresses and pants/shorts to choose from they girls do get so crazy.

Kelly July 26, 2012 at 11:15 am

these are adorable!!

Claire July 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Hello, what a lovely blog 🙂 I’ve just come across your work having been searching for some tips on joining the sleeves on the Pickles Plain Cardigan. Would be ever so grateful if you could give me some advice as I too have been scratching my head on how to construct the cardi! Big thanks 🙂 Claire x

Heather July 30, 2012 at 7:46 am

Hi Claire,

I will be happy to take pictures (I am just about to add sleeves to my second cardigan later today), but here is what I did. Once the sleeves are completed, you put the stitches that are not bound off onto a straight needle. The sleeves are attached to the body in one row, and all of the sleeve stitches get knit at that time. So you will knit up to the bound off stitches onto the body piece, then knit the sleeve stitches from the straight needle, then knit the body up to the second bound off stitches, and knit the second arm from the straight needle. I used a straight needle because it was so much easier than trying to do that in the round. At first, when I had the inclination to do this, I thought for sure I was way off base, but this knits up an easy cardigan with just those 4 underarm stitches to have to sew up. Hope this helps.

Claire July 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks so much for your help Heather. I’m having a go and it’s looking promising so far. I just hope the sizing turns out ok too as I’ve found my other pickles attempts (vests) have come out a little small. Thanks, much appreciated. 🙂

Nicola August 10, 2012 at 11:42 pm

He is so cute and his clothes are perfect and he’s not allowed to get so big so fast!