Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
On the Needles and By the Bed

On the Needles and By the Bed

June 27, 2012

I am joining Ginny here for the first time in the Yarn Along. You would think that with 5 + days of over 100 degree temps that I would have no inclination to knit, but my fingers seem to have a need for wool. This past Monday marked just 6 short months until Christmas Day, and while I normally try never to think that far ahead, I have promised myself that this year I would begin my holiday knitting on December 26th. The picture above is the Cobblestone Pullover in the process of being made for Elwood. This sweater is a project that I both love, and have a need to put down on a regular basis. I have never quite worked with such heavy modifications, and I pray that this beautiful yarn does not go to waste will an ill fitting sweater come Christmas Day. Creating a sweater for a 6 year old from a pattern for an adult male has had it’s challenges, but I think that in the end I am going to feel a little bit more capable of tackling such big projects, and perhaps have the ability to let go of some of my insecurities about the relationship between math and knitting.

On the nightstand is one of my all time favorites, Women Who Run With the Wolves. I remember being introduced to this book in my sophomore year in college, and this is still my original copy (notes and all). Clarissa Pinkola Estes is a magical storyteller whose work has inspired so many women to hear the call of their wild and true self, and it is a reminder to me about the beauty that all women hold. The boys love the stories, and it is nice to have something both deeply personal, and fun to share all at the same time.

Knitting often feels like the weaving of the stories of the times that we are in. I will always remember this sweater as the piece I made the summer that Colorado burned. It will always be the sweater that kept me sane as we endured a season indoors that by all accounts should have been spent along the creeks, in the mountains, and on the trails. Perhaps I might be lucky enough to also remember this as the first sweater that I did not finish in the final moments before Christmas dawned.

One can dream.

Joy June 27, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is knitting for Christmas already. I generally try to start by April. I’ve finished 4 Christmas knits already and I’m working on one now as well. 🙂

Joy June 27, 2012 at 6:27 am

PS. Good luck with the Cobblestone. I can’t wait to see it on him come December!

Heather June 27, 2012 at 7:44 am

I am really excited to see it too! Joy, you never cease to amaze me. 4 sweaters done! That is so wonderful. Between the cooking and the knitting, you are one busy lady 🙂

Rosemarie June 27, 2012 at 7:03 am

I remember reading that book while I was in college as well. I had kept my copy for so long but it since has disappeared. I may need to find another copy. I also am finding my fingers itching to knit and have started some new projects in the heat of summer.

Heather June 27, 2012 at 7:45 am

It is certainly one of those reads that I gravitate towards at least every few years, but often times I find myself looking up a story, quote or poem as needed. It is one of a kind.

Heather June 27, 2012 at 7:58 am

I start thinking about gifts around this time too. What a lovely sweater. Modifications can be so tricky. I am sure it will be grand. My husband gave me that book recently. I have only briefly opened it. We ended up moving for a short time to DC and it did not come with me. I am eager to get back to it. Thanks for the reminder.

katrina June 27, 2012 at 8:05 am

I, too, need to feel the wool gliding through my fingers this summer–it is such a comfort. I am eager to see how your son’s sweater knits up. Modifications are always tricky–not that I know much about that–I am a pattern follower to the letter. I envy your bravery 🙂 I will most definately place your book on my list–it looks very interesting. Thanks for stopping by my blog-I enjoyed your words and your visit! Happy knitting.

Tonya June 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

I love what you wrote about remembering what was happening while you knit – knitting really is therapeutic, isn’t it? I was just thinking yesterday about it being six months until Christmas!

Tracey June 27, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Your knitting looks beautiful Heather and I am sure the sweater will look just wonderful on your young man come Christmas. I always start my Christmas making in January and still cut it close, I really must stop adding items.
The book sounds very interesting and I am surprised,but I have never read it.
Have a great day and stay cool.

Paula June 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I live on the eastern plains of Colorado. Everyone I know is keeping the front range and the mountains in their thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the reminder to start those gifts early.

lori June 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm

you are a lovely writer, i so enjoyed reading this. congratulations on your knitting management, hee hee, i’m sure the sweater will be done in time and be beautiful. welcome to yarnalong.

AG Ambroult July 6, 2012 at 2:37 pm

my goodness I’ve never even heard of that book. Putting it on my list (and I do have a file of books I want to read, because when it comes time to choose another book, I could never remember a good one.)

You are so brave to make all the adjustments needed to turn a man’s pattern into a boy’s sweater. I would sooner sky dive. That’s how scary knitting something like that is to me.

Have you even read any of Tom Brown Jr’s “Tracker” books? I read a bunch of his books in college (what up, fort collins?!) but something tells me you would enjoy them (your boys would, too).