My 30 Minutes

April 18, 2012

This was my lunch yesterday. I set my place at the table, poured myself a large glass of water, dished out my soup and my salad, and sat down to a good book. I did nothing for 30 minutes but read and eat.

The meal wasn’t consumed quickly. I had no one to talk to, no interruptions, and no place to be right in this moment.

It looks good, right? It looks like a luxury some might say, and they would be right. It is a luxury.

What you can’t see in the picture is the time spent all around these 30 minutes. The two hour conference call during Landon’s first nap, the 24 emails I have written, the play date that I have run Elwood to and picked him up from, the soccer practices I will soon drop them both off at, the lessons we have done and will continue to do, the breakfast and dinner made, the laundry folded (or perhaps just piled up waiting to be folded), the bathrooms that need cleaning, and the book outline that I need to complete. I could go on, but really I think you get my point.

These are my 30 minutes. Landon is quietly resting in my bed, the older boys are upstairs reading, something that I ask of them sometimes after lunch, so that I can enjoy mine.

This might be a luxury, the good meal that keeps me nourished and going, but this is also my sanity. My little slice of me time. I am a better mother after this meal.  A better friend, wife and daughter. I am refreshed and ready, and I can push through all the way to bed  time with just these 30 minutes.

Our days can go on forever if we let them. We can find ourselves at the end, ready to collapse into bed, wondering where it all went. For me, that is surviving, and no matter how crazy things get, I want to make sure that I am taking the time to not just get through it, but live it. I love the busy days that we have. As my kids get older, that is something that I knew would come. They love to live as fully as I do, and that means that sometimes days look the one above. They look crazy.

No matter how hectic the day is, there is still 30 minutes in it for us to say “This is mine, and I need it”.

Wishing you 30 minutes of peace today.

Anna April 18, 2012 at 8:22 am

There are days I try to make that happen, and others when I feel lucky if I sneak in 10-15 minutes during the day. Undoubtedly that is one of the reasons I feel so rushed and hectic most of the time. Something to think more on — thank you once again for the reminder to take care of ourselves as well as our kiddos.

Lisa Q April 18, 2012 at 8:42 am

very wise! I know that I’m a better mother when I’ve had time to recharge myself with reading or creating. Your lunch looks wonderful…hope you can get another one in this week!

a little crafty nest April 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

Heather, I’m so happy you found your 30 minutes here! I only recently started creating a Quiet Time after lunch and these past few months have allowed me to be so much more centred and happy. I notice how much the children need space from each other, too. Just Quiet moments to ourselves, to regroup. I usually spend my time reading in bed while nursing my youngest to sleep, then quietly sitting beside my 3 year old daughter in her room while she looks at books and puzzles and I knit. Quite right for all of us…(my 6 year old is busy listening to stories on tape in his room and drawing). I so appreciate your intentions here, and I do hope you get to have your 30 minutes more often than once in a while! Have a great day, Heather!!!
xo Jules

Kristi aka FiberFool April 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

I have to say I am jealous. I’ve been struggling with any “me” time since starting work outside the home. I’m ready to fall into the bed the minute I get home from work, though I’m usually up until 9p, at the earliest. Sounds early, but I get up at 4:30 so I get exercise in. But my new workplace does not have a break room or that and no one respects my lunch hour. The only way I get a lunch hour is if I leave, which means the hustle of driving and the cost of eating out. I would love a laid back lunch that allowed me to eat mindfully and fall into a book for a bit. Instead I’m leaving my lunch to get cold and helping some frantic person remove paper jams from the printer while also taking last-minute reservations from people who didn’t plan ahead and on and on.

Linda April 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am so happy you had 30 minutes to yourself today, I had 2 hours to myself this morning and it was wonderful!
Much love
Linda

Katie April 18, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thank you so much for sharing this! It was exactly the inspiration I needed today

Melanie April 18, 2012 at 10:51 am

yes, yes, yes! I try and carve out little snippets like this for myself as well, a must for busy Mama. 30 minutes, sometimes 20, maybe 15- of quiet time to take deep breaths and center oneself.
Glad you had your 30- and your lunch looks delicious. :)

Luisa April 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

That’s the problem in blogging is that we take the picture of our favorite moment of the day that makes us better but there is so much more going on during the rest of the day. That 30 minutes may seems like a luxury but it’s nourishing, calmness and sanity saving. Believe me I know yesterday my sanity saver was 2 hours alone at the beach crochetting.

dominika April 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

oh yes and I am happy I realized that as well and try to make it possible…that looks like a wonderful nourishing lunch, what soup is it? keep enjoying…

Nina - tabiboo April 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Mine would be pancakes and a herbal tea.

Nina x

Hannah@HomeBaked April 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

Absolutely – I wrote something similar recently about how important these little pauses can be.
Thanks for sharing your 30 minutes, Heather.

Shannon April 20, 2012 at 7:05 am

Sweet, sweet Heather! After lunch, usually when my 18 month old is napping, my older son and I have our own special quiet time. He picks his quiet activity, and I pick mine. And it is a way I nourish myself throughout the day, too. I also think it is a gift to show our children the importance of taking care of ourselves. And they learn to respect mommy’s time, too. I’m excited for the day when you and I can share lunch together! And thank you so much for your last comments on my blog. You touched my soul. xo

Kristin April 21, 2012 at 8:17 am

Beautifully written. It is so easy to just “get through” these busy seasons of our lives. I was having a moment much like yours yesterday as I walked the dog. I tried to just enjoy being outside in beautiful springtime, instead of planning the rest of my day in my head. Mindfulness. Thanks for the reminder.

Nicola April 23, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Made me smile. I insist on quiet time daily, with each of us separated. I need it. They need it too, even if they don’t think they do.