White Chocolate, Cinnamon and Blueberry Bites

January 31, 2012

I have a new love, and a time consuming one at that. Pinterest.

I really wasn’t looking for anything new to keep from the ever growing pile on laundry on my floor, or the gazilion emails I need to respond to, but Pinterest did it anyway.

Having a digital inspiration board and creative to-do list is a brilliant idea, and one that I think will be around for a long time to come. I wondered when I first began just how much I would actually use the pins that I was creating, but I have to admit that I reference quite a lot through the week, especially when it comes to food.

Last Friday was my husband’s birthday, and we had a house full of guests who came to wish him a great year ahead. Food and friends are always a welcome addition to the weekend, and I enjoyed cruising the pin boards to see about some new recipes to make. On the morning of the party I stumbled across this pin for frozen chocolate covered strawberries. I had one of those “get up and go to the store right now!” kind of moments, but I was already knee deep in cooking and the wee one’s nap so that was a bit out of the question. The idea of cut fruit and melted chocolate all coming together in an ice cube tray was just too simple and perfect to let go of completely.

While I didn’t have strawberries, I did have a left over bag of yummy white chocolate chips (think peppermint bark) and a container of blueberries. As much as I love white chocolate, it can be a bit over powering, so I decided to add a touch of cinnamon to give it a kick.

The result was a creamy and fresh dessert that was gone long before the cake and ice cream. Three simple ingredients and ten minutes of prep yielded a very good thing indeed.

White Chocolate, Cinnamon and Blueberry Bites

1 12 oz bag white chocolate chips

48-72 blueberries, washed and dried

1/2 tsp cinnamon

Melt chocolate in a bowl set over boiling water. Add cinnamon and stir to incorporate fully. Place 4-6 blueberries in each cube of an ice tray. Pour the chocolate over the berries and bang the tray gently to allow the chocolate to fill all the crevices. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes, then into the freezer for 20 more. Pop out of the tray mold, cut into cube size chunks and serve.

Maria January 31, 2012 at 6:51 am

Yum!! You’ve been pinned!

Amy@FashioningHearts January 31, 2012 at 7:37 am

Sounds wonderful! I immediately clicked on your link to Pinterest and began following you. Anything that interests you is usually right up my alley. :)

Heather February 22, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thank you! I am in love with Pinterest, it just is the first site that I have found where there feels like everything is one place, and I am always up for that.

jules January 31, 2012 at 7:51 am

Now, I see what you were talking about the other day. Holy YUM!!!! wowzer. I am going to try that, but I NEED to go to the store, or else it would just be melted chocolate.

love you.
J

Heather February 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Well, sometimes there are days when melted chocolate is enough :). Love you too.

Teri January 31, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh, isn’t Pinterest divine! I just love the inspiration I get there, mostly in the knitting department!
These little bites just look heavenly. I wonder how they’d taste with dark chocolate? Hmmmmm….

Heather February 22, 2012 at 11:33 am

I think that they would taste really good with dark chocolate. I might even add in a bit of spicy cinnamon in that case, and give it a kick!

Anna January 31, 2012 at 9:38 am

Looks yummy! I can spend way too much time on Pinterest, but it is so fun. I think I repin half of what you post, so please don’t stop. :-)

Heather February 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

That is so very sweet. I love Pinterest, it is so much fun to see what inspires so many people.

a little crafty nest January 31, 2012 at 9:41 am

Heather, I seem to be less inspired in the kitchen, though I also appreciate the yum factor for enjoyment. And as you know, I love pinterest too. It is such a great tool…I have a board for two of my children just to look at fabric for their quilts ~ so useful!!! Now, I’m off to pin all about you:)
xo Jules

Heather February 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I do find it to be a super useful tool, especially in the craft and kitchen areas of life :).

Joy January 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

What a lovely idea! I’ll definitely try these. Pinterest has started sucking my time too, as if blogging and Facebook weren’t enough. I did make 2 Pinterest projects this morning though so that makes me feel a wee bit better about my addictions. 😉

Tonya - Plain and Joyful Living January 31, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh I know Heather. I look at pinterest as a way to help stimulate the artistic/creative side:)
Your dessert sounds wonderful.

Linda January 31, 2012 at 11:13 am

Oh Heather, this looks wonderful, I bought blueberries today and I am going to try this tomorrow.
xo xo

Tracey January 31, 2012 at 11:24 am

I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but I do have all the ingredients to prepare this ! :) Now I just need a house full of people so I don’t eat it all myself …oh, maybe not!

melaniejennifer January 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm

This is perfect! I can’t eat “chocolate” chocolate & it’s hard to find good white chocolate recipes. Thanks!

kathy January 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Love it! Pinned!

Melanie January 31, 2012 at 5:00 pm

oh yes, pinterest is a great place for inspiration! I have not yet formed an account there, though have had an invite- but I enjoy looking at other people’s pins. :)
The white chocolates look awesome.

Sunshine Mama January 31, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Oh yum that looks good! I also love Pinterest. Turns out I am the most addicted out of all my friends… It is dangerously addictive, lol.

kate February 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm

love. now stop pinning such great things~ maybe it will curb my new addiction to pinterest too– because I so *didn’t* need another reason to be on the computer;) ….and yet, all that white chocolate sitting in the cupboard, from the peppermint bark I’ve YET to make….and all those frozen blueberries in my upright garage freezer…..hmmm….

dominika February 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm

what a great idea! and as I couldn’t wait for blueberries I used strawberries…yummy, thanks!

Noell February 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh yum! I have to try this! You are quite the creative cook!
And yes, Pinterest is starting to really take up my time…not sure if that’s good or bad! 😉

AG Ambroult February 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

ah yes. yet another internet-based time suck, but oh how wonderful it is! And you’re so right…I refer back to pins at least a few times a week.
that recipe looks amazing.