We Deserve This :: Adventure

January 5, 2012

There is something so essential about a fresh start, a new year, a proper end and the promise of a new beginning.

As we were approaching the holidays I told Joel that I needed to see this year come to an end, and that I was craving what was ahead. This had nothing to do with 2011 being a bad year, it was one of the best on record, but rather a feeling that there is something brewing in 2012 that will change the dynamic of my relationships, and my sense of self.

We spent New Year’s Eve with close family and friends reminiscing on the past, as 2012 would mark my 20th year of knowing my husband. As the night drew on, I began to play with the feelings in my heart that were coming forth. Joel had declared that 2012 would be our year of fun and that this would be the year that we finally took the chances, the adventures we had been dreaming about.

Adventure, connection, joy and simplicity, these became our resolutions for twenty twelve.

There is a commercial on television right now from Citibank that shows professional rock climber Katie Brown enjoying quite a view after a hard climb. I love this commercial, I watch entire football games with my husband just to see this commercial. I want to be that woman standing on top of the rock overlooking the world.

For Christmas Joel showed that he pays full attention to my dreams, and bought us a two day pass to learn to rock climb together.

Adventure means many things to many people, but it is an essential part of the life experience. Choosing to follow our dreams, taking the first step, taking a risk, that is all part of the fun that makes any adventure worth taking, any life worth living.

When I think of things that fill the soul, that help us dive deep within ourselves and pull out what truly makes us happy, I think of adventure. I want to fill this year full of them.

:: I want to climb Longs Peak
:: I want to learn to rock climb
:: I want to finally write that book
:: I want to throw on a potters wheel
:: I want to back pack with my children

Adventures are exciting because they propel us further than we thought that we could go, they remind us we can do what we set out to, that we are strong and gracious and amazing and full of such spirit. They remind us that life is awesome.

We deserve adventure. We deserve to dream big and see it through. We deserve to declare an entire year to the adventures that will change us and define who we become in the future.

I have lived many an adventure so far in my short 35 years, but what keeps me happy, keeps me sane, is knowing that there are so many more to come.

Emmalina73 January 16, 2012 at 1:06 am

What a great list! Having a sense of adventure seems to be in the air : ) Like you I’m looking forward to this being a year of stepping into a dream, making things into a reality. I look forward to hearing more about what you are up to! Happy New Year : )

adkmama January 16, 2012 at 1:07 am

Adventures are a lovely resolution for 2012. Here is to a year like no other…in the making.

Love and miss you.
Jules

boatbaby2 January 16, 2012 at 1:07 am

Adventure rocks! Go mama!

geek+nerd January 16, 2012 at 1:08 am

Rock on, Heather! Climbing is hard – but rewarding when you can over come the challenges of the rock. Have a blast! xoxo

Plain and Joyful Living January 16, 2012 at 1:10 am

What a wonderful post. I am often overwhelmed with all the delicious possibilities life offers – so exciting!
Happy New Year Heather – wishing you joy and peace,
Tonya

Joy January 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

I love your list of adventure! I hope you have a blessed and happy new year! Love that banner shot of your little guy. He’s getting so big (and cute!)

Meryl January 16, 2012 at 1:15 am

Amen! Happy New Year!

renee@FIMBY January 16, 2012 at 1:16 am

Yes, Yes & Yes.

Living an adventure, specifically the culmination of our move and the last 2 months, has brought me the greatest joy I’ve known in my whole adult life. I can’t wait for me.

kate January 16, 2012 at 1:17 am

love this heather! We too are entering a year of intentional adventure– some very near home, some far….in fact, we’re packing up for Truckee right now– heading out this week and not returning until the 20th. It’s amazing– we just opened up to the possibility and a place to stay fell into our lap! This trip (obviously as it is a long one) is a family adventure, but I’m thrilled to know four years after the birth of our third…there is a mama and papa only adventure (for three full nights and four full days– whoa!) in the works for late spring. Cheers to partners who grow and change looking in the same direction, and here’s to a clean slate, deep breath, and year of possibility! PS– If you want to climb in Salt Lake, let me know. I have a dear friend who is a guide there– and her photos remind me of that commercial;)

Valarie January 16, 2012 at 1:18 am

Happy New Year Heather! I can hardly wait to see your photos from the top of Long’s Peak. Such a great list you’ve created. I can hardly wait to see each of them come true. Here’s to your year of Adventure!

AG Amboult January 16, 2012 at 1:18 am

I love it! I can feel your excitement and yearning. Especially because it was when I was living in your fair city, that *I* learned to climb and mountaineer. Get on up to Horsetooth Res where there is some fine bouldering (on the foothills side, at the end of….I cannot remember the name of the street…Laporte? By the auxiliary campus.) You need nothing but a pair of climbing shoes. From there…well you are living in just bout the best place to learn!
Good luck and I cannot wait to read about your family’s adventures.

Anna January 16, 2012 at 1:19 am

What a beautiful post Heather. I love how you describe adventure as being integral to life. So true. It takes on many forms — some physical like rock climbing and some more spiritual. Essentially it’s about taking risks, embracing change and being willing to take a chance. Wishing you and your beautiful family all the best in 2010

Anna January 16, 2012 at 1:20 am

Opps…. I obviously meant 2012, but my fingers are a few years behind. 😉

Brooke G January 16, 2012 at 1:20 am

Rock climbing sounds fun! My husband loves it! Too bad he can’t find a spot here in Texas! My oldest likes it too.
By the way, I don’t even have a tv and I have seen that commercial… Awesome!
Can’t wait to read about your adventures (and that book too!)

Kyndale January 16, 2012 at 1:21 am

Ha! I wish I wanted to write a book! Maybe in my future. But, I definitely want to throw on a potters’ wheel. That’s for sure!

Here’s to some great adventures in 2012!!!!

Imene January 16, 2012 at 1:21 am

How wonderful to be adventurous! The rock climbing might not be on my immediate list but the potter’s wheel is absolutely there

shannon January 16, 2012 at 1:22 am

Wishing you a new year full of peace, love and adventure!! Be well…

April Hansen January 16, 2012 at 1:11 am

I’m so inspired Heather! Looking forward to hearing about your year and the adventures you’ll be taking. I really do hope you write that book :o)

Happy New year.

Kristi aka FiberFool January 17, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I like the new space! Your plans for 2012 sound fantastic. My sister rock climbed for the first time back in November. I got to do so at a science camp between 7th and 8th grades, but am thinking if may also be on my 2012 bucket list to give it another go.

6512 and growing January 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Heather,
I love your adventurous aspirations. Go, go, go!
I want to write a book this year too.
It’s powerful to put your intentions out to your community.
Wishing you fulfillment in your days and pursuits.
xo
Rachel

Nicola January 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Such a lovely, joyous post. Adventure is good. Rock climbing is fun!

Jennifer January 20, 2012 at 7:22 pm

So, so glad to see things are going gloriously for you and your family! I wish you all the best to come during this year!

– Jennifer