A First Knit for Landon

November 30, 2011

Thank you to all of you who stopped in over the past week and said hello. It has felt so nice to come back to this space and reconnect.

In a perfect world, every child would have a first hand knit sweater (or in my kids case, apparently, a sweater vest).

There is something so precious about knitting a tiny sweater for a little one who just might grow out of it before it has a chance to get soiled.

Landon was long overdue on receiving such a sweater from his mama, so with the holidays coming up, and a chance to knit uninterrupted over Thanksgiving, I turned to my trusty favorite pattern, and knit him up his very own Pebble vest.

There are many reasons that I love the Pebble vest. It is an easy to modify pattern, it can be knit up in ways that work well for where my kids are, and since Colorado weather lends itself to lots of sunshine, even in the winter we rarely need a huge amount of bulk. Of course, my favorite aspect might be just how quick this pattern comes to life. Within a day, a little 9 month old squirmy wormy has a new vest.

Landon is a squirmer while dressing. For being such a quiet, happy baby, he will let you have it any way he can when you change his diaper and dress him. Therefore, there was no way that I could use the Pebble pattern as is with all it’s beautiful buttons. The idea of having to get even one of those buttoned while trying to keep Landon from crawling away was almost enough to just choose a different pattern, but I returned to the idea behind the other boy’s Pebbles, and simply knit it in the round with seamed shoulder. It came out perfectly, and is a cinch to get over his head quickly.

You can see the modifications I followed on my Ravelry page.

Now that I have one piece out of the way, I feel the joys again of knitting warm woolies for my babe. Of course, it is not helpful to return to your knitting projects that have been abandoned for months, only to discover that you have NO idea where in the world you are in the Baby Surprise Jacket, or boat neck sweater you were so diligently knitting up. If I have learned one thing from my knitting break, it is to write down exactly where you stop when you put your knitting needles to bed. I am not looking forward to the work that it will take to get back on track, but it will be worth it.

Tomorrow the winter edition of Rhythm of The Home will be live, and I hope that you will stop over and visit. The edition is packed full of winter goodness, and I hope that your family enjoys the projects, recipes, and fun that in holds.

Luisa November 30, 2011 at 4:10 pm

The vest looks adorable on him.
Sometimes that happens with projects they need to be put to bed for a few months to be looked at with fresh eyes later.

Meryl November 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Adorable! It makes his little blue eyes pop out so beautifully!

Kristina November 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

The color is perfect for him! Beautiful job, as always, mama.

Allegra November 30, 2011 at 5:30 pm

You create such beautiful and adorable children. The vest is great too :) Can't wait to see the new ROTH.

a little crafty nest November 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Heather…First, I was enchanted by that lovely variegated Pebble…it is a popular one in my home, too. I also like how it can be upsized so easily. But really now, that last photo of your littlest boy is Absolutely. The. Cutest. Ever. Oh, yes.
xo Jules

Rain November 30, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Oh those blue eyes! I have a 9 mos. old who also wiggles when trying to get him dressed. Thanks for the modifications.
Blessings!

Sarah Jane November 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

What a sweet! Looks perfect. And an early congrat about the winter roth!

anushka November 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

ooh so cute! good to know about the pattern adjustments. i'll probably be making one like this one day. what a cute little babe you have. : )

Angela November 30, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Such a gorgeous vest-love the blues. Landon is beautiful. I have come late to knitting and therefore knitting for my kiddos; now is time to catch up. I am not sure I'll be venturing into Sweaterland though. Can't wait for ROTH; congratulations on another edition!

Teri November 30, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Ah the Pebble! Just did an upsized one for my baby boy, now 1 years old! And a second on the needles for a friend's baby. It is such a great pattern and looks so darn cute on them! Can't wait to check out the new ROTH.

Lisa Q December 1, 2011 at 12:15 am

what a sweetie….those eyes are just the best! I really like that vest…very interesting with all the different stitches and yarns that you use. It looks adorable on your little guy!

Nicola @ Which Name? December 1, 2011 at 1:21 am

What a cutie little he is! The vest is sweet and your post below was beautiful and honest and just so right. Nice to see you here, just the same.
Nicola

Michele December 1, 2011 at 3:33 am

Love the vest! Your children are simply gorgeous!!

Naturally Chic Mama December 1, 2011 at 3:54 am

The vest and your sweet little boy are both adorable!

geek+nerd December 3, 2011 at 11:22 pm

So beautiful! (That applies to both the vest and the little one)

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 1:57 am

Thank you Nicola, it is wonderful to be back. I have missed you too :)

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 2:00 am

Thank you Lisa. Landon, like his brothers, seems to be blessed with blue eyes, so the yarn colors just called out for him.

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 2:01 am

It is just my go to pattern right now. I love the look and the texture, and the fact that it knits up so fast is just a major bonus. I have the Cobblestone on the needs, and I am attempting to size it down for my older boys right now. I love that patterns as well, and it knits up very similar to the pebble.

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 2:06 am

Thank you so much. I am learning more and more about sizing, and using Elizabeth Zimmerman to do so. I am planning to size up to an 8 for my oldest son and I am using his chest measurements x my gauge. From there I am divinding the original cast on # of the pebble by this #, and multiplyimg all of the other important numbers by this #. It is working for a sweater I made him for Christmas, so fingers crossed.

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 2:10 am

I love that photo too. It may go down as one of my favorites of Landon's first year.

Shivayamama December 9, 2011 at 2:11 am

Thank you Kristina, I always love knitting up that pattern.