Right Now

August 11, 2011

We are returning from a beautiful trip back to the east coast, where we took the boys on a tour of Washington DC. What an experience to see their eyes light up at the White House, the Capitol, the memorials and museums. With everything going on, with all the political strife, the name calling, and the general depressing news, it was great to see the world through the eyes of a 7 and 5 year old. There was so much possibility and promise, and we need more of that in these days ahead.

We arrived home to our garden overflowing, and that end of summer joy that comes from so many days toiling in the dirt. I love this time of year, when the sun takes on a lingering golden hue, when that slight chill creeps in at twilight, when the harvest has come and the fruits and vegetables are stacked on the kitchen counter. There is a moment every day when I can feel the shift in the earth becoming stronger, where that depth of summer heat is letting go, and making way for cooler seasons ahead.

These are the days when we barely come indoors between sun up and sun down. When our feet dangle in the water and all of our meals are taken creek side. It is the time that I want to freeze, or find a way to bottle so that my kids will always remember how much fun we had. Oh how I wish we could. For now we will just have to enjoy each moment, and savor these days outdoors.

The giveaway for The Rhythm of Family will end at midnight MST, and I will post the winner on the bottom of the original post.

heirloom seasons August 11, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Dear Heather, I'm sure your boys will always remember!!! Quite a chill to the mornings also, we are embracing it, feeling a cozier season approaching. Still definitely celebrating all the summer garden goodness for now though!
Welcome home. Love to your sweet family. Renee XO

Kim Akari August 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Oh! This makes me a little homesick. All this talk of spending all day outdoors! I grew up on Maui and there, with that climate, you really can live outdoors year round. I grew up with a pretty blurry line between inside & out. But now that we live in Annapolis, MD (which is great because we're near things like DC!) the line is clearly defined. Ahhhh well, I will soak up your words and close my eyes and imagine milder weather!

sherene August 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to our next of the woods!

maeghan August 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

So true so true. The heat has finally broke for us and we have been able to enjoy the patio, yard, garden and the abundance of the world around us.

molly August 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm

oh, heather, welcome home!!

it takes a certain strength of spirit, and intrepid soul (!!) to take three small kiddos to D.C. We did so eighteen months ago, and it was wonderful/exhuasting/wonderful!

cheers to you and yours as you roar through this great long last stretch of summer.

xo,
molly

lacey August 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm

i love the pile of veggies on our counters as well! though it sounds like it may be a little hotter here…perhaps if we had a creek retreat we could tolerate more of these sweltering summer days outside…

Megan August 12, 2011 at 12:34 am

That photo of the garden makes me swoon!!! So glad you had a great trip. My hubby and I were just talking about a DC trip with our boys someday soon. Any pics of the trip in the future??

Erin August 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Strawberries and sunflowers… Mmmm. Your garden looks amazing! :)

Only In Louisiana August 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Your garden is really incredible and HUGE! But I am trying to figure out what the garbage can is for! It looks like it has an "official purpose"!

Lisa Q August 13, 2011 at 12:50 am

you were in my neck of the woods….it's a fun city to visit and to see it through the eyes of a child is wonderful. Looks like you returned to some beautiful scenery of your own.

molly August 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm

right now looks very good. is that your garden? wow! love that gloved hand saying "i love you".

Melanie August 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Such beautiful photos, they really embody summer. Your words very much describe our summer days too.

Jeanine August 15, 2011 at 5:08 am

I totally came to the comments to ask about that trash can’s purpose too! :) And your garden looks absolutely inspiring. Wonderful photography.

sofie August 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

What a beautiful garden!!! I have been feeling the nip of fall as well…