Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
A Shift - Shivaya Naturals

A Shift

August 16, 2011

Living in the present moment is something that I strive for, experiencing the moments as they come, rather than considering how they might be in the future.
No matter how hard I try, there is always a sense of shift at this time of year, and I find my mind wandering to the cool weather ahead. I don’t dwell on it, or even think of it for very long, but I can feel it.
There is the slightest chill as the sun goes down, a subtle change to the morning light as the sun rises just a little bit later, and a soft breeze that has not been here for the past few months.

I love to knit, and I pretend to be a knitter year round, but as the temperature gauge reaches well into the 90’s, my sense of joy at holding large mounds of wool fades away. I know that there are many warm days ahead, and I welcome them fully. Winter is a long season here, and extends well into Autumn and Spring, but for today I glance over the wool I know will be used in the coming months, and I can feel the shift ahead, and it makes me smile.

This blog has been having some technical difficulties over the past few days, and apparently the comments switched from Intense Debate back to blogger for certain posts, namely the two preceding this one. The comments were lost from those posts, which is a bit heartbreaking, but I am hoping that I can find enough technical savvy to correct the problem (or even just figure out what it is). Hopefully it will not continue to happen on other posts, but somehow it will work itself out, it always does :).

kerry August 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Yes, my knitting is picking up too. A list is forming, full of fall and winter knitting projects. Lovely photos, especially the first one!

theevolvinghomemaker August 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm

you can feel it can't you!? just two nights ago we were out in the evening and there was a hint of cool air that was surprising…and the sun is beginning to set earlier…i feel the fall coming on too. and since our summer has been CRAZY, i am looking forward to it.

🙂
jen

Kelly August 16, 2011 at 7:31 pm

I feel it here too. And I'm savoring summer with an eye on fall.

Karen August 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

It has been such a hot summer that it is still hard to think of knitting, but I know it is coming.

Nadia August 16, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Oh, how sad you lost your comments 🙁 I'm glad you have the problem sorted out though. I love seeing a basket or bagful of yarn! I hope to start a crochet blanket soon, but sadly in the tropical north of Australia it doesn't really get chilly enough for a big knitting fest.
Love to you and yours x

Melinda Taylor-Kelly August 16, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I have been knitting a lot lately, learning new stitches, and teaching the basics to Bella and Chloe. I love yarn, for me it is comforting, and gives me a sense that everything will be fine.
I am looking forward to the fall, my most favorite time of year, and this one will be wonderful!

earthycrunchy August 17, 2011 at 12:58 am

It's most likely an intense debate issue. It's happened to me before.

I feel that shift too. It's fun to think about all that the coming season entails but I'm enjoying right now and I know we have lots of summer stuff to love. So, what are you doing for school this year?

xo Kyndale

April August 17, 2011 at 2:17 am

Baby surprise jacket? Beautiful color.

We had such a short summer here in the PNW, I'm hoping for a warm, sunny September!

Patty-Jean August 17, 2011 at 1:35 am

Yes, yes, and yes – I feel it too – even though this summer (where we are) has been a record breaker for heat, I can't seem to get enough minutes away with wool. I carry it every where I go, in my purse/diaper bag/…here a knit, there a knit every where a knit knit. And since I am one of the world's slowest – I guess I have to every possible second…poor me 🙂
I really do need to come up with a storage carrying solution for my sets of double pointed bamboo needles in a project.
Thanks for sharing the warmth!

Tracey August 17, 2011 at 1:35 pm

I am noticing a little bit of a shift here too even if it is only the light changing. I find knitting relaxing and must knit, read and paint/ draw ever day or my day is off…just a rule I gave myself.
PS- Beautiful yarns in you basket.

Nina - Tabiboo August 17, 2011 at 8:14 am

We are feeling it more and more with it getting a little darker in the morning and evenings and there is that slight chill in the air.

Nina x

Liz August 17, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I know what you mean – my mind and needles are starting to turn towards fall projects, with (slowly) growing excitement. I'll never wish the summer away, but hoorah that it is followed by beautiful, bright, crisp autumn!

Stephinie August 17, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I'm so loving the sunshine in that first picture….. and wondering what you are making with that gorgeous berry hue. Knitting has taken a backseat here too…. 90+ and humid does not mix with wool. I joke that in this weather I could simultaneously knit & felt. I am so looking forward to the warm balmy days of fall in the south. Right now we've all got cabin fever!

Kristina L August 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I work for the school district, so even though fall weather is more conducive to knitting, it leaves me with less time to do so. I'm trying to accept the change of seasons without grieving the loss of summer too much. Even though summer days have been busy, they have an air of casual freedom that I will miss.

Nicola @ Which Name? August 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Welcome back! I posted last week about feeling that shift, too. I am partially welcoming it and partially already grieving the absence of summer activities not yet done.

Sylvia August 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

you know, i feel just the same. it is that hint in the air, i don't know but i can smell it each and every year. this year though, even though i have this slight yearning for autumn, it is a very bittersweet feeling for me, as our summer was rainy, wet, cold and grey 80% of the time… hoping for a sunny autumn!

angie August 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I have the same problem with knitting! I just can't in the warm weather, which of course means I end up knitting in a frenzied panic once the weather turns.

Chelsea August 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love Colorado in August. My family always used to travel for our vacation in Colorado in August, and that crispness, the fresh breath of cool, I found it so refreshing. +Chelsea

Minnesota Mum August 23, 2011 at 4:49 pm

So you are writing a cookbook with your kids and taking all your own pics? Thus the major absence from the blog? What are you seeking?

Anna August 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Heather, the shift means that I might actually have time again for things that bring me pleasure. I haven't had time to do any blogging or reading of blogs in months. And looking over yours today makes me realize how much I miss reading what you are up to every day. Your pictures and words are always so beautiful and inspire me. What a pleasure to take a moment and catch once again.

imenesaid August 24, 2011 at 2:25 am

My knitting bag was gathering dust in a corner of my office. I am not even sure why.
Now I have plans to knit hats for my little ones. I love the Thorpe hat, I think I will do that.

Amish Stories August 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

agambroult September 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm

yeah, I can smell that shift. It's glorious.
and I seem to knit the most in the fall. even more so than winter. I guess I love the idea of knitting in preparation for the really cold months.