Summer(ish) Reading

May 17, 2011

One of the best childhood memories I have is sitting under a Weeping Willow tree in our front yard reading a book. There is something special about summer reading, the way that you can pass away a long hot day in your own imagination.

Seeing the boys get lost in a book is magical. I watch their faces as they read, Elwood still struggling to comprehend each word, Jacob devouring each page. I am learning more about who they are through the books they choose, and I love seeing new sides of their personalities emerge. It evens brings a smile to creep up stairs and find one of them reading under the covers, flashlight in hand.
Books are magical, they are treasures, they open new worlds and help us explore new sides of ourselves. As the days grow longer and warmer, it is comforting to know that our books will be there to pass the time.

Angela May 17, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I love watching your boys read too! That quilt is divine. Hey how do you choose which books to read. Do they lead the way or do you or do you have last say? My children go to public school and there are some less than stellar book choices there which of course all of the children are drawn to pick up. My children are happy readers even when I guide them. I want to give them some leeway, but I also have limits about what I will buy and bring into the house. If they want to check out the 45th book in the Rainbow Fairy series (seriously there are about 50 of them) then fine, but I have a real reluctance to buying especially when I know they will read and enjoy books that are better for them. Any suggestions?!
xo,
Ang

Lacey May 17, 2011 at 4:12 pm

looking forward to a time when my girls can read on their own, although they'll spend hours looking through picture books & we love reading little house books outside together…

MamaBird May 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Sweet – I loved reading as a child too – and still do! My oldest is just starting to read on her own; my youngest loves to pretend with picture books. Care to share your summer readling list (adult & child)?

Lindsey May 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I had a magical reading moment with my girl today. I suggested to her that I thought she'd be able to read Magic Treehouse books by herself soon if we kept practicing together. Her face was transformed by this look of wonder and she ran and got her most recent book from the library, brought it to my lap and read the first chapter and then some to me with little help. It was so amazing and made me so happy to think that she has also learned the joy of reading. Now to get some weather that allows for outdoors under a tree!

emmalina73 May 17, 2011 at 6:12 pm

One of the experiences I look forward to the most is the day when my whole family is silently lost in our own books, together but off exploring different worlds.

jumbleberryjam May 17, 2011 at 10:02 pm

What precious moments captured here! I can't hardly wait for my guy to start reading on his own for exactly the reason you state here…to know him more. And, to share with him one of his parents' greatest passions.

Tracey May 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm

How wonderful to see a whole world open up to a child who reads! We are big reader here and I have been know to blow my budget in the bookstore…more than once.

Nicola @ Which Name? May 18, 2011 at 3:02 am

I love this image…of your boys, my own kids in my head, my own memories, and the dream of any/all of us now and soon. My mind is stirred seeing your boys reading…I think my girl is in between your two and certainly not reading chapter books on her own yet.

FrontierDreams May 18, 2011 at 3:34 am

Love, love, love that first picture!! What sweet times and memories.

I am so happy to see we are doing the KAL together, too! XO

Kitty May 18, 2011 at 2:28 am

Lovely! I love the quilt, the pictures, and of course, reading!! I, too, am a grown book devourer, and I can't wait until my little one is old enough to read. At 16 months, though, she's already a book worm. She absolutely loves her books and with baby sign, asks me to read her books all day long. She giggles at the pictures and identifies everything she knows (by sign or simple words), and really loves new stories. It's so wonderful to see that they can be so into books and stories from even such a young age. She clearly understands each story, and does "feeling" signs (and facial expressions) to prove it. Thanks again for another magical post. This is inspiration for me to finish my first ever quilt so that when we finally have some sunny weather, we can bring some books outside!

Jodi May 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

That baby of yours is so cute. I definitely think the setting while reading is just as important as what's being read. It's a mood-setter.

stitchandpurl May 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I love getting lost in a book. My husband always teases me that one day I will open my own library – not such a bad idea, really!
We've also had some wonderful weather lately, with the "picmic" blanket out in the garden and a pile of picture books to look through. Wonderful.

molly May 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

These pictures, and the words that go with, are as magical as anything. Isn't that emerging together-ness between siblings amazing? What the third child gets from watching their big brothers never ceases to amaze me.

Enjoy your many summer reading sessions to come, Heather.

Valarie May 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Ok, this is beyond cute so cute I almost can't stand it. I know I've said this in may places and in many ways but I cannot believe how big Landon is getting. Let's just not blink and keep our eyes on him. This photo reminds me of my girls when their baby brother was born. We had many blanket reading moments. May you have many of those and many happy moments to come.

Healing Hillary May 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I agree…summer reading is the best!

Emily May 21, 2011 at 8:14 am

The photos are precious.

I'd love to know what your boys are enjoying reading these days. I have a real book worm on my hands and a very uninspiring library system, so I'm always looking for new chapter book suggestions. I actually took a photo yesterday and am hoping to post soon on what we have been enjoying and request other suggestions soon.

Jeanine May 22, 2011 at 3:05 am

Inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing these. I'm thankful for this moment in time with my three littles, but oh, do I look forward to lazing on a blanket with books! And you're so right about learning more about who they are through their book selections. I hadn't even thought about that. Right now only the pictures stir my littles imaginations. I can't wait for the words to move them too.

agambroult May 26, 2011 at 5:07 am

One of my best memories from childhood was reading in a hammock in the pouring rain, under a huge umbrella. My two favorite things–rains and reading. (though I have to admit I am getting a little tired of so much rain right about now!)

It is so true, how you can see their personalities through the books they choose. And my two are going in such opposite directions, topic-wise. so interesting.

Shivayamama May 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I think that the stage of reading is such a beautiful one, and I remember being in the exact place that you are now, so excited to see them begin the reading journey but not wanting them to grow up too fast. Some days I can not believe that my older boys are 7 and 5. Where did the time go?
________________________________________

Shivayamama May 27, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Right now both of the boys are loving chapter books, I think mainly for the adventures.

Elwood is starting with books from the Puppy Place series, and Jacob has just finished reading the last book in the Magic Tree House series. He is moving on to Flat Stanley, The Tales of Tiptoes Lightly, The Magic know and The Guardians of Gahoole. They do love a good adventure :)
________________________________________

Shivayamama May 27, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Oh my, I feel like that too. I try so hard not to miss a moment. It still boggles my mind that Jake and Elwood are 7 and 5. No idea how that happened

________________________________________