Right Now I Am: Ready

April 29, 2011

I have loved every moment of the past nine weeks. The quiet (as quiet as life with three boys can be) that a baby moon gives. The quiet of a newborn breathing. The quiet moments of nursing and the sweet mama milk breath that lingers. The quiet of a new life taking shape.
I promised myself with this child that I would stay in the quiet for as long as I could, savoring every moment. I promised myself that I wouldn’t miss a moment, no matter how much my old ways came calling. Surprisingly, they didn’t. My sewing machine stayed under cover, my knitting needles hidden, and my kitchen empty. I fully accepted the kindest of friends who have cooked, family who have helped, and a husband who has taken on much more than I ever thought he could handle.
My little newborn is growing into a baby, and the comfort of the quiet is receding. In it’s place are so many adventures waiting to happen. His first trip to the park, his first hike, his first pots and pans jam session while I make dinner. I want to force this moment to stay, force the quiet to remain, but try as I might he will grow up.
You know when one stage of life is transitioning into another, and I can feel that so firmly upon me. I see the earth waking up, and with it there is a renewed sense of returning to the things that I left behind for this small amount of time: This space, my kitchen, my creativity. I am sad to leave the cocoon of our room, of our covers, but I am excited to show this little one just what awaits him.

heather April 29, 2011 at 11:33 am

hello heather! so nice to see you! your baby moon sounds heavenly, but it sure is nice to have you here too. xo

Rain April 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

How wonderful that you've been able to savor every second of this incredible newborn stage. Wishing you both many joyous adventures together!

Linda April 29, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Dear friend, it sounds as if you have been savouring each and every beautiful moment, so wonderful! I also have the book Rawlicious, such a beautiful book written by South African authors.
Be well,

earth mama 101 April 29, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Congrats Heather for allowing that space around you. It is so very important. I believe it sets the pace for the little one. Now adventure is all yours. 9 weeks! It goes so fast…and look at his sweet face…he is so cute, just like his brothers!

Andrea April 29, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Oh, what a cutie. Enjoy the adventure.

Tracey April 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Your little one has really grown these last nine weeks. How wonderful that you were able to focus on just your family and embrace all that life offered. Now on to all the first's that are waiting…very exciting for him and for you. Enjoy !
PS-Hope your father is doing better.

lacey April 29, 2011 at 12:51 pm

this is such wisdom. I always feel like I have to fight my way out of this baby-laze, but I'm going to take this as permission to savor it, when the time comes…beautiful baby!

Larissa April 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Judging from that sweet face you have been doing everything right! Enjoy the quiet – it sure doesn't last long!

bendingbirches April 29, 2011 at 10:23 pm

what a beautiful baby moon you must have had…and how lucky your little angel is:) xoxoxoxo

Holly Malinowski April 29, 2011 at 11:56 pm

It sounds like you are doing what you SHOULD be,enjoying every minute!!!!Somehow it flyes by way to fast!!!So enjoy every second.Somehow I thought I did the same and look back at my babies,now 29 and 24 and wish I could do it all again!!!!I can look at them and still say,they where the best thing I ever did in this life,they still are amazing,just in a different way!!!!So have fun!!!!!!Remember it doesn't last,but your right,there is a lot of adventures ahead!!!!Good luck,have fun!!!!Hol

kendra April 30, 2011 at 6:11 am

awww. what a little lot of love. nicely done mama. thinking of you! <3 <3 <3

Tonya April 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Heather you have expressed so beautifully how if we listen, we can ease into the next phase of our lives and accept the changes with open arms.

stitchandpurl April 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

How wonderful to be able to savour the quiet, and take exciting steps into the unknown. After all, the balance in life that we need is always a little bit of everything, isn't it.

Adrie April 30, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Oh, so handsome! And I am so, so glad that you took this time. Beautiful.

clarice April 30, 2011 at 11:41 pm

You are a very wise woman. Hold on to each moment. Clarice

anushka May 2, 2011 at 12:18 am

oh what sweet pictures – such a sweet baby face. he looks so much like your other two handsome boys! i haven't been reading much lately because we're in our own transition right now. ezra and i are staying OUT of the little home we are staying in right now so michael has a quiet space to study. we've been outdoors so active that by the time we come in to rest it's time for me to sleep too. anyways…. i just found out i'm one lucky winner of alphabet glue – thank you heather for this awesome chance to win through your wonderful blog. excited to see more of your world unfolding for your sweet babe. i'm so happy for you!

Anna May 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Oh, the sweetness of that little face. Love those cheeks and big eyes. I also love the way you approach life — allowing for both the quiet and the adventure.

agambroult May 4, 2011 at 12:22 am

oh those quiet times, and then the transition into "living."

Sounds like you have the creative juices flowing again. It's nice to be excited to make and do. Can't wait to see what comes of this renewal.