Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Our Weekend Kitchen: Juicing - Shivaya Naturals

Our Weekend Kitchen: Juicing

April 30, 2011

My mom gave us a gift recently that has caused quite a spark in my kitchen. A juicer has made it’s way into our lives for the first time, and I have to admit that I was super skeptical at first. We have always used a blender, and our daily green smoothies, while chunky, were still pretty darn good.

We are once again experimenting with the foods we eat and how they effect us (especially our oldest who has to contend with celiac disease), and we have recently tried taking out all bottled juices from our diet. I put my skepticism aside and the first day this large appliance graced our kitchen, we made a batch of carrot, apple and ginger juice. Much to my amazement, my kiddos drank a 12 oz glass each, and begged for more. Now my mornings are filled with little ones who find juicing carrots to perhaps be the highlight of their day.

I know that our health is an evolving process, but my hope is that by experimenting with raw juicing, we will add another layer to our well being. If nothing else, at least this experience has given me a good laugh when Elwood declares in no uncertain terms that he will not eat raw carrots, but he will drink them. What ever floats their boat.

Wishing you a weekend full of goodness.

mary April 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm

oh, my family relies far too much on bottled juices. this is inspiring me… would you mind sharing what type of juicer you have and if it is a good one? i am so lost in the appliance world, i never know what to get and always end up wishing i had gotten something different… xo

stitchandpurl April 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I love kitchen gadgets if they make life more exciting. I'd love to have an ice cream maker. It would definitely make my life so very much more exciting. Although a juicer would probably be the healthier option… 🙂

renee @ FIMBY April 30, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I also would love to know which brand and model you have. We are planning to buy a juicer in the coming months.

Mary Beth April 30, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I too am planning to buy a juicer in a couple of months. I'd love it if you could share which juicer you got and if you like it. I especially interested in making green juices. Have you tried juicing any greens yet?

valarie April 30, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I'm so glad you're juicing. I've become a juicing junky. I'm with Elwood…..it's so much easier to drink my vegetables in lieu of eating them. I've also noticed how much more energy I have and my head is really clear. The afternoon foggies have lifted. Enjoy juicing!

earthycrunchy April 30, 2011 at 11:06 pm

We love our juicer too. We go through stages. Sometimes we're juicing maniacs. Sometimes it just sits around but it's a great tool.

Adrie April 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Haha! We bought a juicer when I was pregnant with my daughter and craving fruit like crazy, and I swear it was as if the heavens opened up. Enjoy!!

Erin April 30, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Mmmn…. We love juicing too! Our juicer is called Oscar and he's pretty much a member of the family. One of our favourite juices at the moment is carrot, apple, beetroot, and lemon – purple lemonade! 🙂

Rainyday May 1, 2011 at 12:39 am

I get into juicing jags but haven't for what must be years now. I really hate cleaning the machine afterwards. But I have a crisper full of produce purchased specifically for juicing last week that I have yet to get around to… but now I have your post to thank for that little bit of inspiration needed to tip me over the edge. Tomorrow, we'll be juicing!
When I was younger, my mom used to make what we called Compost Bread with the pulpy leftovers from juicing. Delicious!

TenderHeartMomma May 1, 2011 at 1:08 am

I would love a juicer, no room to store it. Hopefully we'll be getting some storage soon and one is on my list to get. Fresh juice is sooo good for you and tastes sooo yummy too.

erin May 1, 2011 at 2:27 am

My kids definitely drink their veggies, but we do rely too much on bottled juices. I think I'll be looking into a juicer. Those fruits and veggies look so fresh and delicious.

Julie May 1, 2011 at 6:55 am

My kids love their "Green Go-Go Juice". We have many green juices we drink, but my favorite is Kale, green apple and a 1/2 stick of cinnamon. When you get the proportions right it will taste like a "lemonade". Thats the best way I can describe it! It definitely doesn't taste like either green apples or kale.
You might want to check out gapsdiet.com , it could really help you with those in your family with celiac. You can probably get the book from the library. It is called the "Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS). This has helped us substantially.

Nina May 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love freshy made juices – here's to happy and healthy.

Have a beautiful weekend,

Nina x

Tracey May 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Another fan of juicing here! After a long run there is nothing I like better than carrot and pineapple juice!

anushka May 2, 2011 at 12:21 am

i want that! (in the napoleon dynamite line voice… do you know what i'm talking about? lol)

Anna May 2, 2011 at 7:39 pm

How cool is that? Your boys love drinking their veggies. I swear I'd invest in a juicer myself if it would get my boys to ingest more veggies.

agambroult May 4, 2011 at 12:05 am

large, they are! We love ours and have loved every juice combination we tried. HOWEVER, I find cleaning the darn thing to be quite the project.
my girls don't like raw carrots either, but beg for them in juice as well. hee. Same goes for beets and almost every kind of leafy green. Whatever it takes, right?

Patty-Jean May 4, 2011 at 6:35 pm

We've also been juicing lately. My mom's a raw foodist (although she does yo-yo from time to time). I'm 11 weeks pregnant and glad to slurp back carrot-celery juice if it means eating salad a little less. My mom buys 50lbs of carrots at time…and now I'm beginning to understand – we go through 5 lbs in 24 hours.

Look forward to some winning juice recipes!