Warmth and Color

January 26, 2011

My posting may be a bit spotty here this week, as it is submission time at Rhythm of The Home, and we are sifting through so many amazing contributions: reading, editing and laying out. Bernadette, Julia and I are working double time to try and get the magazine as near to completion as possible as soon as we can, since the wee one is due just two days prior to the launch date.

I am just stopping in quickly today to share my late night project from yesterday. After staring at my computer for hours on end, I needed something creative for my hands before bed. I had my heating pad under me while working (you all know how I love to use my bed as my office), and I noticed the cover was dingy, grey and in serious need of replacement.

I love winter, I really do, but I hate being cold. I am one of those people who can jog in 117 degree weather in Arizona, and feel awesome. Cold weather, however, can leave me with constant neck pain and tight muscles. I suppose that is why you see so many posts here on warm bath and foot soak recipes throughout these months.

My heating pad, or rice packs, go every where with me, and one place for sure I know it will be is in the birthing room in just a few short weeks. Like I said, it was time for an update, and I gave it the quickest  one I could think of.

I measured the existing cover, and added what I needed for seam allowances. I then cut my strips of flannel 16×5″ and sewed them together.

From there I sewed the case together, and with right sides facing, I placed the new cover inside the old (the old cover is made of a great sturdy flannel, and it seemed unnecessary to throw it out). Leaving a 3″ opening, I stitched them together at the very edge, pulled the new outer cover through the inner layer, and then topstiched around.

In less than an hour I had a brand new pretty cover, and was snuggled up and ready for bed. I am learning that re-purposing kind of rocks, and that there can be endless ways to take something old and icky and give it new life.

Now back to work.

Please note: Heating pads do emit EMF’s, and while I love my heating pad, it is not something that I would recommend for excessive use during pregnancy or with small children. This is where Rice Packs would come in handy, and can be just as healing and beneficial.

Michelle January 26, 2011 at 5:57 pm

That is a lovely cover! I wonder though, Heather, do you not worry just a bit about the Electromagnetic field from the heating pad itself?

Shivayamama January 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

My honest answer, in terms of the heating pad, is both yes and no. I did not use it with my first two pregnancies (they were born in the fall and I had no need), and I just switched from my rice packs to my plug-in heating pad last week with this pregnancy. I use a laptop computer and a cell phone that has so much more chance of penetrating my body, that the heating pad is not something I consider to be a large danger. Having said that, rice packs are always the safest way to go.
________________________________________

CatieP January 26, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Do you put straight rice in a rice pack? What are the sorts of things that people include in microwaveable heating packs. I made one awhile ago but it smells just awful when I heat it up. I'd like to redo the filling in it but don't know where to look for information.

Shivayamama January 26, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I do a combo of rice, lavender, chamomile and flax seed. I am going to be doing a tutorial for another portable rice pack soon as well.

________________________________________

Audra January 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Lovely! I love the things I have made from old clothes and scraps that are adding beauty to our home. Our heating pad needs a new cover, it's new but has that icky synthetic fabric for a cover. This project may go on the list!

Sarah Jane January 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ha! I think we have different blog!:) I much prefer the cold, cold to the hot, hot. Though I don't like being cold. What an adorable cover. I also recommend silk long underwear. Good luck with all your going ons.

Angela January 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm

So lovely! I can't believe you stitched that up right before bed. Wow! I made some heating pads once using cherry stones. They smelled great!
Best of luck with ROTH and the last few weeks before baby!
Peace, Angela

Anna January 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm

That is so cheerful and lovely. You always amaze and inspire me with the things you come up with.

6512 and growing January 26, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I love the beauty you make from simple things and for simple living.

Larissa January 26, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Your cover is so bright and happy and perfect for this super cold winter. Please post about using your bed as an office – i cannot find a comfortable position to sit in my bed. The other night i sat in my bed and knit and my back hurt while my leg fell asleep. I'd love to hang out in my bed in the evenings but i can't seem to get comfy – maybe it's just me!

dani January 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Much prettier than a plain old heating pad.

I can easily get addicted to the warmth of a heating pad because I am always cold. Always! I was wearing a coat in the house the other night…and it's not like we had turned the heat off.

Right now my favorite thing is our heated car seats. I always rolled my eyes at such an un-needed extra. But not now. I don't think I could ever go back.

sandee January 27, 2011 at 12:21 am

so you heat the rice pad? Dumb question….But my kiddos are so cold at night when it is time to get in bed, and I would like to make all four of them one, pluse momma. Do you heat in the microwave? How long?

sandee January 27, 2011 at 12:25 am

chamomile seeds? dried flowers? oil?

Maribeth January 27, 2011 at 2:22 am

Warmth is so important to me right now as well. It has been a consistently cold winter here. My sister made me a rice pack a couple of years ago. It works like a charm.

Denise January 26, 2011 at 9:01 pm

the colors are so bright. I like this – so easy.

kaylovesvintage January 27, 2011 at 9:58 am

looks so cozy, it just stated to get cold here again.Guess I will look for some rice pads

beth curtin January 27, 2011 at 11:58 am

I love this idea! I have some fabrics left over from the lovey making workshop which I could use, although I would love to find some as pretty and grown-up as what you have. The cover on the heating pad right now is hideous. I'm going to do this. love, Beth

Megan January 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Great idea! I too have been coooooold this winter. The only thing that seems to warm me up for any length of time is either dancing around to good music or excercizing…which I guess is a good thing 😉
Many warm wishes to you in the final stretch of this pregnancy!!

Valarie January 27, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hi Heather. My how time has flown. I can't believe the little one is almost here. Your heating pad cover is so lovely and bright. I'm wishing a very calm last couple of weeks. Be well.

adsfarm.co.uk January 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

The heating pad is so cheerful! Thanks for this warm and colourful idea!

kyndale January 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Enjoy this time with just your two! I love your cover! hugs!

Nicola @ Which Name? January 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Beautiful! This made me smile as 4 people's blogs I read yesterday (including mine) posted about heat packs/ice packs. :)
Nicola

Adrie January 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Love those colors. Have a great warm weekend!

earth mama 101 January 28, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Oh my happy almost due date!! I can't believe your little one will be here oh so soon. Sending love your way lovely Mama!

Love, Lisa

a little crafty nest January 29, 2011 at 6:57 am

What a pretty heating pad cover you made! I am just finishing something sort of similar…hot water bottle covers. More details next week! But your fabrics are lovely! Happy belly rubbing and nesting to you!
xo Jules

miniature-rose January 30, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hi….what a gentle and peaceful world your blog is creating!

Stephinie January 31, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oooh…. I love the colors. I should really whip one of these up to color our pilled blah blue-ish heating pad :)

agambroult January 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm

So pretty, and simple (well, not simple for me) and fast (not fast for me either) and useful. I'm glad you glad your heating pad a face lift!
don't forget to get yourself some rest, too!