Holiday Crafting: Simplicity

December 17, 2010

Funny how time moves so slowly at certain points, and then so quickly at others. Autumn has seemed to fly by, and Winter is now upon us.

One thing that I have tried to notice lately is the beauty in the simple. A fresh sprig of evergreen, a lone berry branch, a bird taking flight.  There is a fresh perspective to be found when nature is at it’s most bare.

In honor of Father Winter’s return, we have spent some time crafting in simplicity.

Vintage doilies become Winter centerpieces.

Lavender and oatmeal combine for the perfect remedy against the brutal cold of winter.

Candlelight and paper crafts bring together beauty and warmth in a new space.

Winter may strip us down to our most basic nature. It may take us deep inside ourselves for much needed reflection, but it also shows us that little is needed to create beauty, and that even when the light is at it’s darkest, we can still create warmth.

Enjoy this last weekend in Autumn, and the turn into Winter.

tikjewit December 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Me like simplicity… (and she is smiling while typing this) There's more truth in simle things… Enjoy!

lina December 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Hi Heather – glad to see you enjoying doilies too!

AdirondackMama December 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm

"even when the light is at it's darkest, we can still create warmth." Oh how perfect this is.

Totally can't wait to get home and make some of those doily bowls.

Love you tons.

PS, This banner kicks BUTT!

gretchen December 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm

oh, Heather–this post is so delicate and beautiful! love the doily bowls. hope you have a blessed and peaceful holiday!!!

Pamela December 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Heather, They are all just wonderful … how beautiful they look!!

Andrea December 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Beautiful! I love all the white. Will you tell us how to make the doilie bowls? They are gorgeous!!

Anna December 17, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I love how often the most simple things are also the most beautiful. Those candles just feel right. Warm and sweet and softly glowing.
Enjoy your weekend!

MamaBird December 17, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Oh, those oat floats look great. I'm going to make some for my gals. Their delicate Florida-born skin is not so happy with our recent below-freezing weather! Beautiful, simple crafts; thank you for sharing.

Shivayamama December 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I think that we were just on each other's blogs at the exact same time 🙂

Its_Lily December 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Just loving the simplicity of your recent crafting. The lace bowls on your banner caught my eye as soon as I opened your site so I'm quite happy to see how to make them in the post. Thank you.

sarah December 17, 2010 at 5:30 pm

These are all lovely. I agree with you and how you talk about time.. sometimes slow and sometimes so quick! Just popping in to say hello and see how you are doing. It has been a while for me and it is nice to catch up!

del December 17, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Beautiful sentiments! I love the idea of the doily bowl — so glad to see it's easy to do and washes out, too.

Lise December 17, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Ok, you just added more to my to-do list! But such easy ideas. Thank you! I'm going to make some of those doily bowls and oat floats tomorrow!

Shivayamama December 17, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Those oat floats are SO easy. The way that Maya has you sew a bunch in a row, I was able to make about 25 in an hour. It was awesome to have that much done so quickly. The doily bowls also took all of about 5 minutes to create (I think that it took me longer to find the doilies in my sewing room). I love easy gifts 🙂

6512 and growing December 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm

i've been enjoying your simple, holiday crafty posts.
We just finished celebrating Hanukkah and my kids miss lighting the candles so I told them this morning we could start lighting a dinnertime candle every night. Now I know how beautiful it can look in a decorated mason jar.
I hope your pregnancy is humming and kicking along smoothly.

Vanessa December 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm

those bowls are STUNNING.
how pretty.
hope you are well- happy holidays~

agambroult December 17, 2010 at 6:58 pm

such beautiful things here, and photographed with gorgeous lighting. The doilies are amazing. I'm clicking on over to find out more…

Dena Moon-Clinger December 17, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Beautiful! I love the simple sweet beauty.

Katie December 17, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I love the bowls, and need to find my doilies that I have stashed somewhere and make these! Thanks for the wonderful ideas, I love your blog!

Shivayamama December 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Of course!
I found the bowls on Lina's site (,” target=”_blank”> ” target=”_blank”>(, and I fell in love. She used epsom salt and water for hers, which I tried as well. I liked it, but I also used a fabric stiffener on the other bowl (Stiffy, found in almost every craft store), that i liked as well. The salt is a better deal, in terms of cost, and it washes out. But the fabric stiffener really holds a little bit better. I soaked mine in the solution. Squeezed it out and draped it over a plastic wrap covered bowl. It dried over night, and it was perfect in the morning. I think that the best part of this gift is it's ease. It took no time at all, and the results are so immediate. They are going to be very specia lgifts given this year 🙂

kendra December 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

absolutely lovely – the doily bowl is my favorite – it looks great in your header!

valarie December 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm

What fine crafting you have going over there. I love those doily bowls. They're just fantastic.

cathleen December 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Totally exquisite, Heather….your words and your photos.

Dawn December 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

i love the beautiful simplicity of these crafts. That doily bowl made me think of my childhood dog. My mom made ornaments out of doilies, stiffening them with a sugar water solution. One Christmas, we came home to discover my dog had knocked over the tree and was eating them!

Nina - Tabiboo December 17, 2010 at 8:21 pm

So true -every word.

Sometimes in these darker days it is hard to find any beauty. But it is soooo good to slow down and be reflective – life is full of far too many distractions and chaos, well most of the time and Winter allows us to do this.

Have a wonderful weekend

a little crafty nest December 18, 2010 at 4:53 am

Heather, I love your photos! So simple and clean and crisp. Love that! And also, I love the candle holders, the lavender satchets, your boy in your banner…ohhh, this is good stuff. Thanks for sharing it all!
xo Jules

Wendy December 18, 2010 at 4:33 am

Gorgeous photos–especially the bowls!

Tonya December 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Oh, these are just beautiful.
Warm wishes and thoughts to you.

perches December 18, 2010 at 7:51 am

Pretty, pretty crafts. They all give the feeling of serenity and simplicity, even with their delicate details. Thanks so much for sharing. The doily bowls are my fave – prompted instant thought of where to find doilies – alas, my little one would probably destroy them if I tried them as a centerpiece. Maybe in a year or two 🙂
I found a cool crafty project we're trying out tomorrow – making hollow string balls! Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Luisa December 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ok these crochetted doilie bowls are awesome I love it . I have to try and make these bowls for next year. They could be for us or for gifts. So sweet.

Francesca December 18, 2010 at 8:46 pm

You've created so much warmth (and beauty)! Happy holidays, Heather!

onepinkfish December 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Just read your post on Rhythms of the Home. It was absolutely beautiful. I just had to let you know that you have spoken to my heart.

Maribeth December 20, 2010 at 12:13 am

Simple, simple, simple. And yet my life and stuff aches to become complicated. Why is that so? I just love those lace bowls. Your photos show them off very nicely.

Larissa December 21, 2010 at 6:01 am

Your bowls are stunning! i'm loving white these days and these gifts are not only functional but so beautiful to look at. Happy holidays to you, lady!

Megan December 21, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Thank you! I needed this post. The beauty of these simple things is inspiring! And oh, those doily bowls…holy moly. In love!

Sunshine Mama December 22, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Such great ideas! I'll be looking for doilies at my local thrift store and the candlelight paper jars are are stunning. Thanks for sharing!

Simple Mama December 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love the doilies. I feel like hitting the thrift stores just to finds some. 🙂

Nicole December 29, 2010 at 1:10 am

Neat, neat, neat. I am inspired to do some January decorating.

Your blog is just the loveliest!

Lise January 4, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Heather, I made both the doily bowls and the oat floats, and they were such satisfying projects and great gifts! Thanks so much. Blogged them here:

Gris fleur January 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm

How do you do this beautiful bowls ?