Tutorial Tuesday: Halloween Tulle Ghost

October 19, 2010

Somehow it feels like time has just flown by in recent weeks. Halloween is fast approaching, and with it I have two very excited little boys. Dress up is always a favorite activity in our house, and Halloween allows for an entire day of staying in costume, visiting with friends, and having as silly a day as is possible.

Decorating for this holiday has always been a highlight of the boy’s year, especially Jacob. Every corner of the house seems to be filled with homemade bat and ghost cutouts, every pumpkin candle has it’s very specific place on the mantle, and much care is taken in selecting where the Halloween blankets and pillows are put. The boys have decorated not only the main part of the house, but their bedroom as well (did I mention that after 7 and 5 years, my boys moved to their own room last week? Big steps for the wee ones!). It is truly a holiday of just pure fun, and I always enjoy seeing their faces light up with each passing day.

Last year the boys attended a Halloween party of a friend who truly knows how to decorate, and her house was filled with these wonderful Tulle ghosts that really turned her space into something special. As a parting gift, Dani gave the boys each a ghost to take home, and there they stayed on our mantle until we were almost nearing Christmas.

This year I purchased 15 yards of white Tulle and decided to recreate the ghosts for both the inside and outside of our house. We had a ball putting these together, and I love how much a part of this craft the kiddos can be. A simple bag of white balloons, some white and black ribbon, a sharpie, a few tacks and some Tulle and we have all that we need to create a dozen fun flying ghosties through our walls.

Materials

15 Yards of Tulle
One spool of black ribbon
One spool of white ribbon
One package of white balloons (12 count or above)
12 tacks
Sharpie

Begin by cutting your fabric into 9-12 pieces of equal length.

Blow up your balloons to the desired size, and using a sharpie draw any type of face you would like (we have a variety of scary, sweet and happy faces flying about our house)

Determine the center of your fabric and drape over your ghostly balloon face. Using a piece of black ribbon, tie a bow around the neck of your ghost.

In order to make a long tie for the top of the ghost to hang, simply string a piece of white ribbon through the center top of your fabric and tie a knot.

Hang as many of these ghostly creatures through your home and outside trees as you can manage, and enjoy a spooky and fun holiday.

AdirondackMama October 19, 2010 at 12:23 pm

You are TOO much! I LOVE this.

Miss you and thinking of you.

Jules

kerry October 19, 2010 at 12:45 pm

So cute! My son will love this!

Valarie October 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm

This is too much fun. I love your "haunted" yard. The boys look like they are having so much fun. Enjoy your ghostly friends.

Linda October 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

This is wonderful Heather, thanks for sharing.
xo
Linda

Kiran October 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I love this! All 3 of my kids can get involved in this one. We are totally going to do it this afternoon.

maeghan October 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Love these. We are having a costume party this weekend for Cameron's birthday and you just solved my decorating dilema, plus I can hang them in the front trees on Halloween.

Joy October 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm

How simple and wonderful! They are truly adorable. :)

Larissa October 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Love that each kiddo can personalize – even name – their own ghost creation! Great craft. A belated Happy Birthday to both your boys! And what a perfect time to move to their own room – you are going to need that space for the new babe!

kbernadette October 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

These are so cute! I think I even have some white tulle lying around…off to investigate. :)

Anna October 19, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Oh, these are so cute! I love how much kids like to decorate for this holiday. It is almost more fun to decorate for Halloween than Christmas — I know, I know, I should keep my mouth shut. But it does spark a certain creativity in my kids.

sandee October 19, 2010 at 7:32 pm

love this…so cute and so simple. I wonder how inexpensive some tulle would be?

Lecia October 19, 2010 at 7:37 pm

This is such a cool idea! We saw something similar in the neighborhood the other day, and Cal really wanted to do it here. Thanks for the tutorial.

Nina - Tabiboo October 19, 2010 at 2:48 pm

What a fabulous idea Heather and even though we do not celebrate Halloween that much – really – in the UK even our little home has the odd spook starting to appear.

Nina x

Kollene October 20, 2010 at 1:02 am

wow, what a cool idea! I'm off to the fabric store tomorrow! I love this time of year!

Abigail October 20, 2010 at 3:03 am

what a great & simple idea!! luv this!

Shivayamama October 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Thanks Sandee. We got 15 yards of Tulle here for $11, and the great thing is that when the holiday is over, you can simply remove the ties and the balloons, and fold and store the fabric for the following year. I always love something that requires very little waste, and can be reused every year :).

Shivayamama October 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Oh and they look so spooky and fun blowing in the wind :)

Shivayamama October 20, 2010 at 1:06 pm

My favorite part of this craft is how involved the kiddos can be. I think that all that I did was help them tie on ribbon, and enjoy watching their favorite faces take ghostly form :)

Angela October 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This is marvelous. My little girl has been wanting more and more decorations. This is a can-do! Peace, Angela

agambroult October 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm

This is so cute, and looks so easy! thanks :)

Shivayamama October 28, 2010 at 3:29 am

That is so true Anna. It really sparks a lot of creativity, and excitement in my kids as well. This has never been my favorite of holidays, but since having the boys it has given me a new perspective on how fun and creative it can be.
________________________________________

Shivayamama October 28, 2010 at 3:29 am

________________________________________

Shivayamama October 28, 2010 at 3:29 am

Oh naming each ghost is certainly a huge part of the fun :). I really enjoy that the whole family can participate, and make these each their own. It feels like so much personality flying around our house this time of year :)
________________________________________

Rachel September 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I'm in love with this project! Would you mind if I linked to your tutorial from my craft site, ” target=”_blank”>http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com ?

Let me know…