Something Simple

October 29, 2010

Apples may be the best part of Autumn. There are so many different ways to enjoy them, and I never tire of all the varieties that are available this time of year.

For just today, Whole Foods is putting the Honey Crisp apple on sale (yes, they are good enough for me to actually plug that in this blog post), and the boys and I will be there first thing this morning to stock up. I can already tell you that our Friday will be spent making apple sauce, apple butter, apple cookies, and of course, apple sandwiches.

Although Facebook has it’s controversial aspects, it paid off when I saw a recent photo (again through Whole Foods) that showed a honey crisp apple sandwich with what appeared to be peanut butter and granola. It looked so good that I was nearly giddy to realize that Elwood and I had exactly one apple and enough peanut butter to make one for each of us.

We took the idea one step further and cut an acorn into the top apple slice, and made sure to add plenty of chocolate chips to sweeten the deal.

The result? The quickest, and maybe the tastiest snack we have eaten all week. Tart apples, crunchy gluten free granola and a touch of chocolate. How could we go wrong?

Happy weekend everyone.

Linda October 29, 2010 at 11:10 am

Looks so good!

Joy October 29, 2010 at 11:21 am

That looks so delicious! We've been eating all the apples from our picking expedition, and there have been lots of lunches with apples and peanut butter. This would be even more fun!

Shelley October 29, 2010 at 11:30 am

Delicious! My youngest has a nut allergy so we'll be having ours with Sunbutter – YUM!

elizabeth October 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Oh these look so yummy! We have been on an apple kick here as well. I think we may be trying these little sandwiches today. Wish we had a whole foods close by.

Andrea October 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Yum…I love apples & peanut butter! An acorn hole makes it look even better.

Kiran October 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

That looks so fun and so cute that it might actually lure my boys into eating peanut butter! Especially with the addition of chocolate chips!

Rachel October 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm

fun idea ! thanks for sharing ~ i'll have to look out for that GF granola mix

ItsLily October 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

It does look tasty. I don't think you can find a better all-round apple than the Honey Crisp. Yumm.

agambroult October 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm

oh boy. I have all those ingredients right now. Hello, lunch! (ok, they're not honeycrisp, but…)

kerry October 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Oh my gosh! I can't wait to make this! Revolutionary! We'll use our honeycrisps that we picked ourselves. They were developed here in MN doncha' know! (I brag as if I had something do with it!) 😉 Yum!

Kelly October 29, 2010 at 4:07 pm

yum, that looks so so good!

Angela October 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I love how you used a cookie cutter for the middle. I like honeycrisps. Pink Lady's are my favorite though. I will definitely pick some up! If no one else will, my youngest babe and I will enjoy them! Thanks for sharing!
Peace, Angela

geek+nerd October 29, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Mmm, honeycrisps are SO GOOD. I had never had one until last year, and now I'm a little obsessed. Your sandwich is adorable. I really like the acorn cookie cutter.

Sarah Jane October 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

You crack me up! Did you know honeycrisps are from Minnesota? Some professors from the U of Minnesota created them. A few weeks ago in the car I was eating my first one of the season and I said to Bill, "This, THIS is an apple." Oh, my there are so good. We might just have to walk over to Whole Foods after school!:)
Happy weekend to you, Heather!

Lisa Q October 29, 2010 at 6:59 pm

honey crisp are my favorite apple! too bad we don't have a whole foods near us. i have an apple and peanut butter every day as a snack…i might need to change that up and add some granola and chocolate chips.

Patty-Jean October 29, 2010 at 8:11 pm

What a fabulous idea! Although we very gratefully don't have any food allergies that we know of – we eat whole foods – and I'm always looking for ways to eat less bread and this is some great idea!
We tried a new recipe this week, butternut squash packed with apples, walnuts, butter and maple syrup baked – it turned out to be a winner.

Lovely autumn foods!

J Seeger October 29, 2010 at 10:02 pm

gasp

Melinda Taylor-Kelly October 30, 2010 at 1:20 am

I went and got some as well….now I know what I will do with some of them. YUM!

Nifer October 30, 2010 at 2:02 am

Uh, YUM! This sounds like a perfect lunch for the pregnant among us!

clarice October 30, 2010 at 2:46 am

Oh my gosh, what a brillant way ot use an apple. LOVE it!! Clarice

sarah October 30, 2010 at 3:09 am

yummy X 100. i love this idea and think i will be making one soon to have with tea. thank you for the idea. :)

Anna October 30, 2010 at 5:39 am

Yum! It looks wonderful. And yet, I know my kids would take one look at it and turn up their noses. I'm not sure what to do to get them to be less picky — but I'm trying.

a little crafty nest October 30, 2010 at 6:32 am

Oh yummy! What a good idea. I especially like how creative and appealling it looks. it makes such a difference to the children when they eat something that looks so pleasing. I am so happy to be visiting here and having you share your creativity!
xo jules

samthehamsmom October 30, 2010 at 9:16 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! LOVE HONEY CRISPS!!!! OH, AND I LOVE YOUR COOKIE CUTTER!

Two Chicks and a Hen October 31, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Wow–my children will love to eat that. We'll have to try it. And I agree that honeycrisp are so, so delicious! This is the second blog post I've read this morning that mentions them :).

April October 31, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Yum! What a great idea! We'll be eating these this afternoon, too.
Happy Halloween!

Leanne November 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Oh my goodness i think i may actually be drooling just a little. How fantastic that looks. It's the simple ideas I think that are the most divine…must try this!

Nicola @ Which Name? November 1, 2010 at 8:58 pm

What a fabulous and tasty looking idea! Thank you for sharing!
Nicola

heather November 2, 2010 at 6:55 am

oh my gosh. delicious.

Bee November 6, 2010 at 9:56 am

What a fantastic idea!

Earth Mama November 9, 2010 at 4:02 am

What a fun snack! And Udi's is the best gluten free goodie maker! So lucky I think they are somewhere in CO I believe. I was just on a homeschooling outing today and noticed that everyone was sitting around eating apples for lunch…and I thinkit is the first time I actually realized how perfect apples are for fall. Happy fall day to you Heather!

:)Lisa