Eggs, Caviar and Yogurt

August 31, 2010

I know, it is an odd combination, yet somehow all three of those ingredients came together recently.

The boys were both diagnosed with dairy allergies a few years back, and after Jacob also turned up allergic to soy, I figured our days of eating yogurt were limited (which was a shame since that was where so many of our “extras”;ground almonds, flax seeds, probiotics, etc. were eaten).

Then coconut yogurt was introduced. Oh the joys and heartache of coconut yogurt. A joy because we finally had yogurt back in our lives, a heartache because of the staggering $2 for a 4 oz container.

After a lot of research, I finally have found a recipe that makes sense, is economical, and that we enjoy for making coconut yogurt at home. And last night I was gifted with the special “this is the best yogurt I ever tasted mama!” from my Elwood. It takes a full 29 hours to ferment, and a crazy precision to make sure that it turns out the way that it should (coconut milk does not contain the sugars of regular milk that are needed to ferment properly), but it is worth it in the end. As fast as the boys put this batch away, I am going to be keeping a very continuous cycle of yogurt going on the counter top in the years ahead.

Although we ate dessert before dinner, it was still a worthy meal to share.

A few years back, my girlfriend Missy held a potluck in which her brother Travis cooked the most delicious lentil pasta I have ever tasted, and I made sure to snag the name of the recipe book it came from. Of course it was only a short while later that we found out that Jacob had celiac, and those recipes were put away for a later time.

With the amazing advances in gluten free pasta making, I am feeling more comfortable trying out the recipes that we once loved. At the farmers market this past weekend, I stumbled upon a gluten free pasta maker who had fresh papperdelle on her table. I swear I carried that small bag home like it was precious diamonds or rare rubies.

I chose papperdelle because there had always been a recipe in On Top of Spaghetti that I had been dying to try. Caviar, poached eggs, butter and Parmesan cheese. So simple, and yet so decadent.We had a jar of caviar that had come in last year’s holiday basket from my husband’s work, and this seemed like the perfect place to use it)

Pappardelle with Poached Eggs and Caviar
(from the book On Top of Spaghetti)

8 oz of pappardelle pasta
8 large eggs
4 Tbsp unsalted butter (I only had salted, so that is what we used)
1/3 cup freshly grated parmesean cheese
1 heaping Tbsp of caviar (using cheap caviar is more than fine. I am pretty sure that what we had was about $8 from Safeway, and it still tasted perfect)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Fill a large straight sided saute pan with water and and bring to a gentle simmer for poaching the eggs.
Add a generous amount of salt to the pasta pot and drop in the Pappardelle. Cook, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking.
At the same time, crack the eggs one by one into a saucer, gently letting each one slie into the simmering water in the saute pan before adding another. Poach the eggs until the whites have solidified but the yolks are still soft and runny. With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked eggs to a warmed plate.
When the pasta is al dente, drain it in a colander reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the empty pan and toss with 2 tbsp. cooking water, the butter an grated cheese. The butter and cooking water will create an emulsion the consistency of heavy cream. Toss to coat every ribbon of pasta. It is seems too ry, add a few more tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Divide in individual bowls, and top with eggs and a heaping tablespoon of caviar and serve immediately.

I made only one addition to this meal, I plated the pasta on top of Parmesan roasted asparagus. A small bit of extra taste, and not necessary if you choose to leave it out, but we enjoyed the extra flavor and touch of crunch.

I have gone from not wanting to even be near my kitchen over the past few months, to not being able to stay out of it. I found myself yesterday standing in the book store with a copy of Home Cheese Making, a book I have coveted since I read Meryl’s post on making Lebneh. I do believe that will be the next culinary challenge I attempt. I have this vision of a group of girlfriends standing in my kitchen, eating home made bread, jamming the last of the summer fruit, and getting the cheese board out for making mozzarella, gouda and cheddar.

One can dream, right?

Home Baked August 31, 2010 at 11:19 am

It sounds like a delicious combination!
What sort of milk are you going to make the cheese out of? Can you use coconut milk for that?

Chris August 31, 2010 at 11:27 am

That sounds heavenly. I want to try the cheese making, too. :)

Jules August 31, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Mercy, that pasta sounds delicious! Like Chris, I want to try cheese making, too. :)

MamaBird August 31, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Wow; a decadent meal for sure! I would love to be one of the gals in your kitchen eating bread, and making jam & cheese!

Andrea August 31, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Dream away! Cheese is on my "to do (someday)" list. I have dreams of big round wheels of peccarino romano ageing in my basement. I have made failed attempts at mozzarella, feta and ricotta, but I haven't given up, yet.

Megan August 31, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Delicious post 😉
I just finished writing an article for our paper here in Lexington about cheesemaking. Oh how i love it so! My next culinary adventure is the world of charcuterie. Can't wait to make a big ol' slab of homemade bacon!

Angela August 31, 2010 at 1:34 pm

That sounds super tasty! Cheesemaking, now there is an adventure. I can't wait to see what you make. Peace, Angela

MaryYDP August 31, 2010 at 1:48 pm

That sounds like the perfect dream. Cheeseboard, fruit, girlfriends. So glad you found a way to keep yogurt in your life!

Maeghan August 31, 2010 at 3:01 pm

sounds wonderful. Cameron has discovered a love for coconut milk too1

brooke August 31, 2010 at 3:25 pm

cheese making sounds like fun… maybe another year! I love the thought of hanging out with a bunch of girlfriends making jam and cheese! That sounds fantastic!

Lisa Q August 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm

you are so good at finding alternatives for your boys. they are so lucky to have a mama like you who really has their best interest at heart. i'm always amazed by your ability to make lemonade from something totally unrelated to lemons!

jessica August 31, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I've always wanted to try my hand at making both yogurt and cheese! Maybe this winter when life isn't flying by at such a rapid pace…or maybe I should stop making excuses!!! I'm looking forward to the launch of the magazine tomorrow~!

Stephinie August 31, 2010 at 7:15 pm

The pasta looks delicious! And thank you so much for the yogurt recipe….. we've slowly gone dairy free in the last months (well, mostly) I do make homemade yogurt still…. but I do plan to try this for little guy who is also dairy & soy free. *sigh* I am working on some Monday Bite recipes right now that are coconut based….. so luxurious and yummy :)

Valarie August 31, 2010 at 7:35 pm

It's great to see the yogurt back. Labneh would be perfect from this. We always make labneh here and have a platter in the fridge. We couldn't live without it. Enjoy.

Nicola @ Which Name? August 31, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Heather, I admire you greatly. I had no idea there were soy and dairy allergies mixed in with the gluten allergies! And although we make our own yogurt, I have never heard of coconut yogurt!
Nicola

becky nielsen August 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

gotta try the pasta! sounds scrumptious! the yogurt does, too, but I don't see myself doing that. I do love coconut, though.

Sarah Peacock September 1, 2010 at 1:47 am

Thanks, Heather – can't wait to get back to yogurt making. Do you have a dehydrator or are you using another warming method?

Anna September 1, 2010 at 2:05 am

So happy you found a way to make a type of yogurt work for your family. That has to feel so good.

And I would love to spend the day in your kitchen making jam and cheese!!! I keep thinking I need to have a soup making day with my girlfriends as I am having a huge butternut squash harvest.

molly September 1, 2010 at 2:26 am

I am so profoundly impressed by your stamina, determination, and gumption. There is so much goodness to be had, of course, over and around gluten and dairy. But oh, the hiccups along the way! Congratulations for your recent triumphs. And here's to all those coming down the road.

Kristi September 1, 2010 at 2:54 am

Coconut yogurt sounds quite interesting. DH used to make cheese weekly a few years ago, though with milk. But if you have questions, just give a holler!

kyndale September 1, 2010 at 4:47 am

You make the best stuff. Well, I can't say I'm a caviar person but coconut yogurt sounds amazing. Kyndale

AG Ambroult September 2, 2010 at 3:42 pm

hee hee. I have enough trouble getting through making regular yogurt without botching the process. I don't think I'd be cut out for coconut yogurt making. So glad you found a recipe that was kid-approved :)

anushka September 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm

the coconut yogurt is something i definitely want to try making! thank you for sharing and thank you for your post on my blog the other day re: hurricane earl. i was so excited to have a comment from you, it really made my day! : ) hope you're feeling well and i'm very very excited about the new issue of "rhythm of the home." lots of goodies to check out. thank you for all the work you do with that. i live so far and cannot buy my favorite mothering magazine here. rhythm of the home is even better! thank you!

sophia September 7, 2010 at 9:14 am

ohh it sounds so tasty and crispy…..