Working It

March 8, 2010

Lately I have been loving trying to “give in” to some of my children’s passions and new hobbies. I have followed my kids around with a camera since the day that they were born, and between my dad and I, over 10,000 pictures have been snapped of the little ones. To their credit, they have endured and been good sports about having every move, moment and achievement snapped on film. So, I suppose that I should not have been too surprised when a few months back they began to take some serious interest in getting behind the camera.

I have been so excited to witness the way that both of my boys have really tried to capture what they see, what they feel is worth showing off. They did, of course, snap everything in sight when they first were allowed to take “real” photos, but since then they have both taken it somewhat seriously, and I find their intensity to be so cute.

On Saturday morning, I was shooting a few pictures for the serenity series, and Elwood came up and asked if he could shoot the same thing. I was photographing a pot of the Apple, Thyme Mint tea that I was drinking, and Elwood studied my every move.

So photographers they now are.

Elwood

Jacob

Elwood has gotten so obsessed, that I have caught him sneaking into my camera bag to try and get out my gear.

During some alone art time on Saturday (I am coloring from the The Colour of Women book), both boys followed me around, and turned the tables on the mama.

Jacob

Elwood

It is special for me to be able to sit back and see what they can create, and of course, with digital they can take all the pictures they want. We sat for a few hours yesterday morning and went through everything that they had taken. There were about a thousand giggles at the silliness, but they loved it. As Mr. Elwood said, they are camera takers now.

Of course, every photographer needs a good snack after all their hard work, so the boys and I made some new cookies to reward ourselves.

I have been in love with sunflower seeds and Sunbutter recently, and here is a new recipe that we came up with when trying to create sunflower seed cookies (tomorrow we will make sunflower and pumpkin seed granola bars, and then I promise that the obsession will come to an end).

Sunflower Seed Cookies

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
or
1 cup honey
1 cup butter ~ softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs (egg replacer works just fine)
1/2 cup sunbutter
1 cup of brown rice flour
1 cup of white rice flour
or
2 cups of brown rice flower
or
2 cups of regular flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups of gluten free oats
1 cup of sunflower seed

Cream the first six ingredients together.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and oats together, and add to wet ingredients. Fold in sunflower seeds.
Drop by the spoonful, and bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until just turning golden brown

We freeze about half of the batter, since the full recipe makes around 32 cookies. If you would prefer, you can easily cut this recipe in half.

And just in case your Monday needs to start off with a laugh, catch a glimpse of my youngest, launching his bear off the garbage can. When I caught this on tape, it was about his 11th shot, and we were still cracking up over it.
Oh to be 4 again

Happy Monday everyone

Helena March 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Hi Heather, I'm delighted to have stumbled across your amazing blog… your children have definitely found your talent for photography. It is such a pleasure to witness this, thank you for sharing!

I also hope it is alright that I link to your blog :).

Kelly March 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I love the humor of 4 year olds. Cora keeps us all laughing.

How sweet they are taking an interest in photography. They do a good job too!

Paula March 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

That is a brilliant video! I love capturing those giggling moments when you can.

Andrea March 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Wow, both videos are so precious. That intense questioning about life and the fantastic energy and laughter. I loved your cat drawing too.

larissa March 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

LOVE how your littlest guy told told you that you can have the video camera while he uses your camera! You are a great mama for nurturing this love of photography in you kiddos. Each of my children has a small $40 digital camera and video camera at their disposal and they take photos and make movies all the time too.

Lee March 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Love the camera taker! And love the way that digital cameras give them the results of their work so quickly. Where did you get the coloring book? I like to color and have a hard time finding things I like to work on.

AdirondackMama March 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm

This made me smile…such a sweet boy.

AND what a WONDERFUL camera taker those boys are! I can't wait to see the finished painting, it looks so pretty already.

Its_Lily March 8, 2010 at 3:04 pm

The captures are beautiful. Isn't it amazing to see through their eyes? I think it's wonderful that you let them use your camera since my granddaughter is forever walking off with mine – and she's only 4, but she loves the whole 'camera taking' idea. lol….I guess it has a double meaning now doesn't it?

minivanlife March 8, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Oh Heather, what precious boys you have! They really took some marvelous photos and they show such confidence and spunk. Thanks for the recipe…they look yummy! I wonder if they would turn out if I sub a dairy free margarine (nursing a dairy sensitive babe) for the butter?

Ivy March 8, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I love the pictures they took of you coloring. They definitely have your eye. So sweet to see them wanting to emulate you and to give it a try. And that blondie of yours — oh, my gosh he couldn't be any cuter!

Valarie March 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I think you've lost your camera but what a cute "camera taker". The cookies,tea, and painting look peaceful and yummy. I must say that is the best bear launcher I've ever seen. Very funny. Happy Monday Friend.

Maeghan March 8, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Love it! The cookies look amazing. Cameron loves to take pictures in fact the photo I used of myself in the magazine was taken by my little man! Have a great day. Giggles are the best!

NicoleFrontierDreams March 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm

oh yes!! Budding photographers for sure – they'll be just like their mama <3 Doesn't it just make your heart melt?!? XOXO

Zed March 8, 2010 at 4:19 pm

What temperature do you bake the cookies at?

Emilie March 8, 2010 at 4:54 pm

I love seeing their shots, and I love knowing I'm not the only one who lets their little kids use expensive photography equipment. I just blogged some of my 3 yr old's shots. It's so fun to see them so excited about a new skill. Now I want a new trash can capable of launching beanie babies. Such a cute video!

shizzknits March 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I love the giggling! It's the perfect way to start a Monday morning!

And my boys are obsessed with the camera, too. They will often ask me to get the camera to take photos….it's fun to give them the point and shoot and see what they come up with.

JaneWild March 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Cracked up!!!
Soooo sweet you blog is. Thank you for sharing!

Joy March 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Love the videos. The last one cracked me up too. :) I think he would get along well with my boys! They are naturals at composition. I hope we'll be seeing more of their photography soon. My daughter has a real interest in photography too. I love seeing the photos she takes.

Linda March 8, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Heather, those videos are wonderful!! So sweet:) Thanks for sharing the yummy recipe:)

Lynnette March 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm

my heart was so warmed by your little photographers. I absolutely love their "eye". This past year I finally gave in and started taking digital photos exclusively and have noticed how much freedom there is because you can take as much as you can handle editing later without the expense. I miss the black and white darkroom magic though.

samthehamsmom March 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm

OMG..that laugh! HILARIOUS! They have quite an eye, like their Mama

Andrea March 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

That Elwood! He makes me giggle. :)

natalie t March 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Too funny! We laughed hysterically at the bear flying 5 times in a row! Thanks for that. I love little photographers so much, I have a few of my own out here and most of the time I like their view-point better than my own. Oh those "camera-takers", nothin' better…

rae March 8, 2010 at 8:33 pm

oh, i loved seeing your little one in action! so fun to get a glimpse of how they see our lives. the cookies sound great! thanks for sharing another great recipe! we have been making our granola a lot lately and i plan to try your recipe for our next batch.

NataliePepper March 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Heather, I am new to your Blog – infact to any blogs! Need to figure out how to work it all! Just wanted to say how beautiful your world is and I enjoy reading your blogs and seeing your beautiful photos. This video of your youngest made me and my other half laugh so much. I even had a wee tear! Brightened up our day! Your blog gives me so much inspiration and I have been learning a lot from Rythym of the Home……fab!

jessica March 8, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I'm totally kicking myself since I had my hands on sunbutter today at the store and set it down at the last minute! I love Jacob and Elwood's photos!!!

Lisa Q March 8, 2010 at 4:08 pm

loved hearing your little one's sweet voice. I think it's great that you let them try out new things…I also loved that the camera strap was securely around his neck…whew! so funny watching that teddy bear being launched. my little guy saw it and laughed too.

mary March 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I love watching kids take photos- what a great video! He is adorable! and still laughing about the launching video! What music is that playing in the background? Sounds familiar… and I will definitely be making some of those cookies! I love sunflower seeds! Thanks for this today!

Stephanie March 9, 2010 at 12:35 am

What an eye your boys have already for Photography, I can tell they take after you :)
Love the bear launch video, so fun!

5orangepotatoes March 9, 2010 at 1:15 am

Don't you love it that your kids look to you as their role model and want to do the cool things that you do instead of bad habits picked up at….ahem…..should i dare say it? You know what I'm referring to……..all homeschool mamas do. :)

They did a great job with the camera! Love the flying teddy, my girls would love a can like that!

lisa

Tele March 9, 2010 at 2:04 am

Hi Heather,

I love your blog and find so much inspiration here everyday. Do you mind sharing what that coloring book is? I did a quick google search and didn't come up with any returns. I saw it and thought, 'Yes! that is what I need to do when I'm between knitting projects or while the kiddo is making her art!' Many Thanks.

Polly March 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm

duuuude! you should do a website for their photography called "The Camera Taker"!

Nicola @ Which Name? March 9, 2010 at 3:46 am

heather, this gives me such a smile. you know from my post i just got a new camera. guess who instantly asked if she might use my old camera? love love love the images they choose to capture. pure innocent beauty.

Jennifer W. March 9, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Wow! This is so funny because my son has been going after my camera for the past few weeks. I loved seeing his excitement about photography but I was really scared for my camera too. I finally realized I had my old digital point and shoot. He's thrilled with it and I have to say I'm relieved that my camera is safe…for now! I do think it's important to give children the proper tools to explore their passions.

I think your father's photography gene has been passed down to you and both of your sons! Great photos!

AG Ambroult March 9, 2010 at 3:25 pm

thanks for the laugh! that IS pretty darn funny, launching a teddy bear off the trash can. And how does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine? Funny that they clicked away as you colored! With your influence and your dad's influence, I have a feeling thses boys are on their way to photography greatness.

jessica March 9, 2010 at 7:07 pm

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog. You have such a creative mind. Where did you find the The Colour of Women coloring book?? I LOVE to color and would like a book for myself!! Thanks!

Grace March 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Can you tell me more about the "The Colour of Women" book? I think it would be fantastic to find a grown-up coloring book to indulge in…after all, it's most important to nurture the inner child. Thanks!

Hannah March 10, 2010 at 11:33 am

Brilliant post Heather, I loved reading it!

geek+nerd March 15, 2010 at 1:10 am

Oh my goodness, Elwood is precious! Camera-taker! I love it! And that laugh in the second video. Too funny.

Kelly May 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm

We just made your gorgeous biscuits – love them!! And blogged about them too – thanks so much for sharing your recipe x