Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
Sweet Sunshine - Shivaya Naturals

Sweet Sunshine

March 17, 2010

Oh the sweet sweet sunshine

It was 68 degrees here yesterday, and is due to be the same today. I love coming here to this space to write everyday. It is a pretty special part of my life, and I almost never find myself distracted from it. Having said that, I just had to get out and enjoy the sunshine over the past few days.

The kids and I set out yesterday, backpacks on, water bottles filled, and trail mix, well mixed, to get our feet muddy and warm. Have you ever heard the expression “Colorado is the outdoor playground of the United States”? Because I am starting to believe it. I am a coastal girl at heart, being born on the East Coast, and living for many years on the coast of Northern California, but these mountains are starting to call to me.

Long story short, I am sorry for my absence, but this is unseasonably warm weather, and it is supposed to snow on Friday (of course, it is always terrible weather the day before the seasons change), so I am soaking it in for as long as I can. I. think that I have come to the firm conclusion that I am just not that big on long winters.

I am really proud to have both an article and a project published in the Spring edition of Petite Purls magazine. Allegra Wermuth (co-editor) is someone that I so admire (I have had the true pleasure of hearing her play the violin with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra), and while I have never met Brandy (co-editor) personally, the work that these two do is remarkable.

For this edition, I wrote an article on The Value of Creating with Young Children

as well as a tutorial on using recycled sweaters to create Alphabet beanbags

Thank you again to Brandy and Allegra for including me in this publication. To learn more about Petite Purls magazine, please visit their website

I hope that sunshine is filling all of your days

Stephanie March 17, 2010 at 11:04 am

Cute bean bags, neat idea. And yes, enjoy every bit of the warmth of the sunshine! We are enjoying it here as well, I'm hoping it will be around for a while 🙂

samthehamsmom March 17, 2010 at 11:38 am

Great article Heather, cute little letters too!

KimmieKusz March 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm

You go girl! Soak in the sun! I know I will when I am off from work today!

AG Ambroult March 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm

going over to petite purls next. thos bean bags are awesome 🙂
and, I have to agree, I am just not that big on long winters, either. I spent a good while yesterday telling my kids that, even though it will be spring soon, it could very well still snow. They aren't trying to hear that. (neither am I)

Joy March 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Enjoy the sunshine! I love the little beanbags. so cute!

Mary--YDP March 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Ahhh your day sounds so wonderful! And those articles are wonderful, can't wait to read them!

Earth Mama March 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

We've been soaking up the sun as well. How is it that it can go from 68 to snow? Crazy. Hopefully it will be a quick storm, and on to spring already.

:)Lisa

AdirondackMama March 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm

What a terrific article. I am excited to look through the other articles and interviews that Allegra and Brandy have there.

Chin up on the weather front, it will be here before we know it.

Hugs Julia

Ivy March 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Oh to have toes in sand and surf. Personally I don't think there is a better way to spend a day. You go soak up some sun! Would you mind taking a few more pics so we can live vicariously?

Sheryl Paul March 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm

We, too, are loving the sun here in Boulder, CO. Coming from Southern California, the seasons bring me such joy. I even love the crazy snows that follow a few days of warm weather! Love the beanbags : )

heirloomseasons March 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Happy Sunny Days! I guess the snow is on it's way here too. We sure haven't been up into the 60's yet but I think it will reach 50 today. We picked a interesting place to live given our dislike of long winters. Northern CA is really cold enough for me… Apparently CO is a good alternative for us ocean/mountain girls 🙂

sarah March 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

What a wonderful post. Sunshine, bare feet in the sand, an article! a project that I may try and make today. I love coming to visit. Get back out to that sunshine friend… same here in Montana. When it is sunny, the blogg-o is pretty quiet!

Lacey March 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm

love the bean bags! We made one yesterday…& I have a plan for making a felt alphabet, perhaps I'll alter it–throwing letters sounds like fun 😉

Jennifer B. B'klyn March 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Ooh, I don't blame you a bit for playing in the sunshine. We just went through five days of 35 – 40 degrees and unremitting rain, rain, rain. Yesterday we woke up to sunshine and a 60+ degree half-school day. We spent almost all of it in the park! Yay for sunshine!

Jennifer B. B'klyn March 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Kelly March 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

68 sounds absolutely delightful. And I have heard that about Colorado which is why I'm trying to keep my husband out of that state! 😉 Seriously though I think he would fall in love with it in a heartbeat. It's a good thing the job market there for him isn't great so we can stay close to family.

Congrats on the articles – I'm off to check them out!

kyndale March 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm

congrats heather! xo Kyndale

NicoleFrontierDreams March 17, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Love the ocean pic! I have never checked out that mag before…. off to do it now! XO

Jodi March 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Enjoy the sunshine and fun times with the kiddos. Congrats on being published.

Linda March 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm

How lovely to live so near to the ocean. I am off to read your article right now:) Love your recycled sweaters:)

Sarah Jane March 17, 2010 at 6:03 pm

Ooo…I can just feel that Colorado sun. Have fun!

Francesca March 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Congratulations! Keep enjoying your warm weather!

Nina - Tabiboo March 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Mmmmmmm….a sweet 68 degrees sounds pretty good to me – were reaching about 58 at the moment!!

Nina x

Jennifer w. March 18, 2010 at 1:16 am

I love love love the letters bean bag idea! That's definitely going on my crafting to do list. We have bean bags with all the different colors in english and spanish. My sons love those, so I know the letter bean bags will be great for learning and having fun.

Adrie March 18, 2010 at 1:36 am

So glad you're enjoying the sun, and congrats on the Petite Purls publication – can't wait to see it! Btw – did you get my email about my ROH article? Be well!

sheena March 18, 2010 at 4:02 am

We have also been soaking up the sun and thawing out from winter!

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Nice to meet you;)

cathleen March 17, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Just wanted to say, you're a pretty special part of my day too, Heather. Congrats on your article being published!

Nicola @ Which Name? March 18, 2010 at 1:01 am

i feel the same about blogging, although i do worry that i sit down at the computer and am sucked right in!
and soak in all the sun you can, i say!
CONGRATULATIONS on the inclusion! so exciting and validating!
Which Name?

Allegra March 18, 2010 at 4:28 am

Thank you Heather for the very sweet mention, and a special thanks for being involved in our recent issue. xo

Andrea March 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Wonderful article. Congratulations. I love seeing those chubby little fingers embroidering.

larissa March 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm

How exciting that you went to the beach – it's my favorite place to go! I feel i can truly breath when i'm near water. Congratulations on your published pattern – love how it's both bean bags and a great way to learn the alphabet!

kendra March 19, 2010 at 10:29 pm

congrats heather! i love this project, and the article too!

Shivayamama March 20, 2010 at 2:20 am