Sunday Serenity: The Letter

March 21, 2010

My son Elwood writing a letter to his closest friend

I sent a hand written letter today. It amazed me how good it felt to sit down and put into words my feelings, without being able to have my computer check my spelling, or hit the back button to change the exact way that I phrased something.

I addressed it, put a stamp on it, and actually walked it to the mailbox.

It sounds silly, but now I have a few days to sit and think about how many hands that letter will be in, how many cities and towns, how many people will help to deliver it, and how many miles it will have traveled when it reaches it’s recipient.

I forgot how beautiful it is to write a simple letter.

Happy Sunday

jessica March 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I love letters so much. I don't write them nearly as much as I should–but I love sending unexpected letters to people I love. A thank you note just because or a letter on a day to share the little beauties. You are right, it really is so simple but a lost art–almost!

lorena March 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm

i agree how wonderful it is to put pen to paper! 3 friends and i have a journal we write in and send around the country to each other. that is how we keep in touch. it may take a year for the journal to come back to you (its amazing how busy 4 women are LOL) but it is so worth getting it back and reading it. each person write comments on the others letters too. it is such a treasure!

Maeghan March 21, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Agreed. I used to love when I was in college and my Nana used to send me letters on a regular basis. My mom dropped me a note every Wednesday so I would have it by Friday. So wonderful, its like getting a hug in an envelope.

Ivy March 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Sounds lovely and I'm sure the recipient will get such a kick out of receiving a real honest to goodness letter. So sad that we don't really do this anymore. Email is great — it's convenient and cheap and connects us in minutes. But there is something about a piece of paper with handwriting on it that we should cherish.

Audra March 21, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I absolutely love hand writing letters. It's almost as fun as finding one in your mailbox!

kyndale March 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

I just inherited a whole bunch of letters I used to send to my mom when I was away for the summer. It was fun reading them again. xo Kyndale

Camille Dumas Davis March 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Oh gee, I also love letter writing. My Grandma gave me her stampbook a few years ago that has lots and lots of uncanceled vintage stamps.
It is funny popping a bunch of them on letters.
Your friend, Camille

Stephanie March 21, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I really love sending and recieving letters, unfortunately that doesn't happen as often as I'd like anymore, due to computers. Maybe I will have to make it more of a habit. Thanks for the inspiring me to write more letters :)

Rachel Nankivell March 21, 2010 at 7:13 pm

I am really enjoying your website Heather, thank you. My husband, four children and I have recently moved to Samoa from New Zealand for a three-year posting, and Mondays has become our letter-creating day. Its a lovely opportunity for us to be together, being creative, and holding our friends and family in our midst for a while. PIctures are drawn, gifts made, and stories written, lucky friends and family! I just read that New Zealand's postal service has been forced to restructure due to the decline in 'snail mail'. I think its time for a letter-writing campaign to be launched!

Ann March 21, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Love your new site. I have just been so busy recently that blogging has taken a back seat. I feel I am back again, but have lots to catch up with. I have three weeks break from school at the end of this next week, so should be able to catch up.
I love writing letters and often send little notes – or should I say big parcels to my son who lives in Savannah. I write little notes that actually go into big parcels, so he can read lots of little notes over several days. Maybe one day he will write back – but he prefers emails.
Have a good week

Sarah March 22, 2010 at 12:11 am

How true. It's funny, I was just thinking about handwritten letters today.

AG Ambroult March 22, 2010 at 12:47 am

yeah, it certainly has been a while for me. I love that you took the process to completion, too, by walking to the mailbox. (The postal system will never cease to amaze me)

leslie March 22, 2010 at 1:06 am

so funny… when i receive a letter, i too think about the hands it has been in.
it DOES feel awesome to write a letter. and use a pretty stamp. and write your return address…. and maybe draw a pretty flower.

Leanne March 22, 2010 at 2:46 am

Oh yes yes! Slowing down….thinking writing time waiting for a reply…..

heirloomseasons March 22, 2010 at 2:55 am

Not silly, I really do think there is something special about a handwritten letter. I am not so good about actually getting them into the mailbox though…
Happy Spring Heather!

nicola March 22, 2010 at 3:46 am

i love letters. writing, mailing, sending, and receiving them. lovely.

JaneWild March 22, 2010 at 4:21 am

Wonderful! That is so special I know how much I love opening my mail box and there is a card or letter. Knowing how easy it is to just drop an email these days… You are going to make their day!

Francesca March 22, 2010 at 5:12 am

So true, and I love Elwood's own letter!

quirkygranolagirl March 22, 2010 at 7:05 am

i love letter writing and receiving. it also brings me some piece of mind to get it done, rather than thinking about how i *should* write that letter.

allison March 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm

i love writing letters and wish i had more friends willing to exchange them with me. part of the fun is definitely imagining the journey of that little envelope.

Gerri March 23, 2010 at 12:48 am

Heather, my family is going to LOVE this. Thanks for sharing. :)

rae March 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

a dying art! thanks for doing your part to keep it alive. i am adding to my list of things to do today to write a letter. i SO love getting hand written mail! it is so special and brings such warm fuzzies. 😉