Spring Simplicity

March 11, 2010

One thing that I am beginning to realize is that there are small things that we can do to bring beauty to our everyday space. I am so ready for Winter to end, and for the colors of Spring to return. As I write this, there is snow falling, then rain, then snow. It is grey and brown, and muddy, but there is a tiny hint of green beginning to pop through.

There is nothing like a little bit of Amy Butler to bring the colors of nature inside. I recently created a project for a favorite publication, and in it I used recycled wool sweaters that I gathered from everything that no longer fit. In the pile was a purple, green and white striped favorite. While I didn’t use it for the project, I still had it cut up, and in need of a good use.

Something easy, placed in the corner of my desk chair. Nothing life altering or perfectly pieced together, just a fun fabric, a favorite sweater, and some wool stuffing.

No matter how little it may seem, it brings a brightness to my space that makes everything else just a little bit nicer.

What simple things do you do to bring beauty into your space?

On Tuesday, I was given the lovely news that my Intense Debate reply function “had a bug”. For over two months, all of the comments that I had replied to had never been received. In the grand scheme of life, this is not really a very big deal, but still a bit of a bummer. I spent yesterday evening going through emails and comments, and trying to get back to as many of you that I could. I plan to continue to do the same for as long as it takes me to answer your questions, and thank you for your kind words.

KimmieKusz March 11, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I know what you mean with longing for Spring. I am sooking up every ittybit of sunshine we have here! I adore your pillow!

Kelly March 11, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Definite longing here too. And snow here this morning as well, after almost all of it had melted.

liz March 11, 2010 at 1:10 pm

i used your waldorf star pattern and colored lanterns this winter to bring color in and struggled way less with winter gloom than i usually do! We have had cheery color inside all winter thanks to you

Joy March 11, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Love the pillows. Very springy and light. Sorry your reply function has a bug. Computer glitches are no fun! You're very sweet to get back to everyone individually. :)

Andrea March 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

So bright a festive! I love the color combo. I had to ring in spring with some new fabric for a spring jacket and a new pair of red shoes…but I've been noticing my couch pillows are looking mighty shabby these days and could use a face lift. Thanks for the inspiration.

Andrea March 11, 2010 at 2:09 pm

This time of year I like to wander through the warm greenhouse and eventually come home with a few flowering plants like brightly colored primroses. After a few months I'll be able to move them to my outside spaces. :)

SugarMama March 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I love the colors in that sweater! They go perfectly with the AB. Yummy.

Its_Lily March 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Spring slid in here so gracefully that I can't be sad about losing out on more winter and I'm always the last one to let go of that season. Crazy, I know. You certainly added beauty to your corner with the pillow. I have one particular felted sweater that I've been hesitant to cut up because I love it as it is. Keeping it mostly intact as a pillow is a great idea.

Jodi March 11, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Your pillows are beautiful! So pretty. I bet you just keep sneaking peeks at this lovely little corner.

Valarie March 11, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Your spring pillows are so lovely. I like to bring in a bouquet of whatever flower is blooming in my garden. I also change all of my table cloths to the season. Big pots filled with flowers and herbs come out on the patios and the screen porch. Spring is coming! Yea.

AG Ambroult March 11, 2010 at 4:12 pm

purging and brightening. Nothing like spring to motivate me to declutter, create some physical and mental space. And to make things light again.

renee March 11, 2010 at 4:39 pm

How perfectly that striped sweater matched your fabric! I am ready for some spring projects to brighten up our space too! It has been raining a bit in town but still snowing up where we are. Nice and sunny today though! Hope you have a beautiful day! xo

AdirondackMama March 11, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Ok, I have to ask….what publication?????!!!!!

The pillow is gorgeous…and HOW SOFT!! Really pretty. I've never used Amy Butler before…they don't sell it in my neck of the woods. You are right though, it is really pretty.

Sorry about Intense Debate, I've heard horror stories about it.

quirkygranolagirl March 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm

those colors are beautiful. i wonder how you do all that you do. i love your blog and i have a hard time keeping up with just reading it (in addition to all of the other wonderful blogs out there). how do you find the time to write as much as you do and make as much as you do and inspire as much as you do?

Megan March 11, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Beautiful pillow! I find that just re-arranging a few accessories or pieces of furniture around the house brings a newness and freshness to the space. Change is good for sure! (This coming from a gal who's parents never moved anything around when I was growing up :)

Tonya March 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

The pillow is beautiful Heather. I add vintage spring linens to a side table or the top of a bookshelf. A little lamb on our seasonal table with much more to come.
Warm wishes, Tonya (who is at the library and am happy I can comment)

larissa March 11, 2010 at 6:29 pm

oh, the colors in the fabric compliment the sweater so perfectly! For spring I clean and donate and put away warm throws and vacuum all the dust and dog hair under the sofas – I spent much of tuesday doing all of this and the house feels much lighter already.

Ivy March 11, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I have been looking for spring outside and relishing in the sound of the birds and the look of the buds crawling up through the soil. Haven't spent much time on bringing it in yet — but I need to. I love that pillow it looks so soft and cozy. And I especially love how you just go for things. You don't seem to wait around to find a pattern or a tutorial, you just do them. Someday I want to get there.

briar March 11, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I love Amy Butle r- but don't thinnk its made it over here yet – sigh!…we must be starting to send warmth your way as we are tinged wilth chillin the mornings….its ocming I promise!

Fiona March 11, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Try not to worry about the emails. It can be a real bummer, but I firmly believe that goodness reaches someone in the universe, even if it's not the intended recipient!

Beautiful pillow. I'm really drawn to your aesthetic.

nicola March 11, 2010 at 7:58 pm

beautiful, heather!
and intense debate has been a pain for me! techie hugs being sent your way.
Which Name?

Mary-- YDP March 11, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Love the new pillow, and it is the same way here snow, rain, snow, rain.

At least the blizzarding has stopped for now!

kyndale March 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm

That's interesting about your comment program. I hope you can get the problem resolved! I have that book that you have. It's a great book that I need to pick up again! xo Kyndale

Chris Worthy March 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

That pillow is spring, summer and fall — all in one. Just beautiful.

Stephanie March 12, 2010 at 12:10 am

I'm with you… I'm so over winter and ready for spring!

rae March 12, 2010 at 12:51 am

argh! i am having issues with intense debate, too. bummer. please let us know if you work something out. i want to believe that there is a way that comments can be more efficient and easier to respond to! 😉 love the sweater pillow. will we get to hear more about the project for the mag? 😉

Imene March 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Lovely colors!! I love Amy Butler's designs unfortunately none of the store in my area carry it and I'm not very good at ordering fabric online.
I've been surrounding myself with reminders of spring like tulips. I am looking forward to warmer weather and long hikes.

samthehamsmom March 12, 2010 at 2:03 am

Love the pillow and the journal…jealous~

Lisa Q March 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

that sweater and fabric were made for each other! it's great how a little pillow just adds a fresh touch! very nice!

jessica March 12, 2010 at 11:35 am

I've just spent a couple of weeks making the schoolhouse into more of a beautiful place–new pillows really made the feel for me. I think my next pillows will be brighter for late spring-early summer. I've also tried really tidying the space up so that it doesn't feel cluttered and overwhelming–that brings an immediate sense of beauty and calm to me.

Francesca March 12, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Very nice Heather. I love the combination of wool and cotton, so perfect for spring: not winter any longer, and not summer yet.

Shivayamama March 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Jessica, I so agree with how tidying up can make such a huge difference. The boys and I are getting ready for spring cleaning this next week, and I know that it will make a huge difference getting ready for the season to change.
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm

You know, what is so strange is that for the most part, I have LOVED ID. This was the first real issue that I have had, and I didn't even notice it for so many months, that is what now makes is more of a crisis.
Can I ask what issues you are having?
________________________________________

cathleen March 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Heather, your pillow is absolutely fabulous. You are making me want to sew so badly. Still have to wait a little longer. Thanks for the inspiration, though.