Every Last Scrap

March 23, 2010

Bernadette and I are so excited to welcome a new addition to Rhythm of The Home. Welcome Julia

It amazes me what we can do with one fat quarter of fabric. After I finished up the recipe organizer, I had a few scraps left over of my patterned fabric, and I thought it might be neat to round it all out with a notepad for the refrigerator.

Whether to leave my husband a small love note, or write out our grocery list, it seemed like something that my family could use well.

Materials

Matching patterned fabric scraps
Heavy weight natural muslin
Matching ribbon
Heavy weight interfacing (I used a standard piece of interfacing, but you can also use a fusible if you have it on hand)
Fusible interfacing for each pocket
Matching thread

Refrigerator Organizer

For your front pieces:
Cut your patterned fabric 4″x 9 1/2″
Cut your muslin 8 1/2″ x 9 1/2″
* See below for extra pocket

Cut your interfacing 11 1/2″ x 9 1/2″
Cut your back fabric 11 1/2″ x 9 1/2″

With right sides together, pin the long edge of your top patterned fabric to the long edge of the bottom muslin fabric. Using a 1/2 seam allowance, stitch together.

Press towards your top fabric.

For pockets:
Cut the pen pocket at 2 1/2″ x 5″.
For the note book pocket, determine the width of the notebook that you would like to use, and add 1/2″ total.

Fold both long sides and one short side of each pocket down 1/4″, and press. Fold the other short side down 1/4″ and press, than another 1/4″ and press. Top stitch, making to sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of the row.

Cut a piece of fusible interfacing to the exact dimensions of each of your pockets. Fuse, according to manufacturer’s directions, to each of the pockets.

Place and pin your pockets into place, and top stitch the two long sides and one short side of each pocket to the front muslin fabric.

Pin your ribbon into place as well as all three layers of the notepad together. Beginning on one long side of your pad, and using a zig zag stitch, stitch the entire length of the notepad, being sure to back stitch at the beginning and end.

Now the fridge looks color coordinated and pretty, and I have all that I need to keep our grocery lists, recipes, and reminders organized.

I think that is pretty good for one fat quarter and a little muslin. Happy Sewing!!!

* I made a second notepad for a girlfriend of mine yesterday, and I added a pocket for her to keep some other lists, etc. that she needs for her family. To do this, cut the bottom front fabric 1 1/2″ longer than the original dimensions call for. Turn the top of one short end over 1/4″, then again 1/2″, and top stitch. Proceed with the original directions, and add the notepad and pen pockets to your muslin pocket. Pin the top patterned fabric to the interfacing and back fabric, then pin the muslin pocket over top, allowing for the overlap. Proceed with the same zig zag stitching as the above directions.

Linda March 23, 2010 at 11:15 am

I love this, very inspiring:) Happy Spring!

jessica March 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

It always seems like fat quarters keep growing and growing. I love that about them! I am a big fan of using every scrap of lovely fabric-the organizer is a perfect project for that. I'm thinking ahead (way ahead!) to the holidays. This, and the recipe organizer would be a terrific gift for a few of my friends who love the kitchen. You never cease to amaze me!

Joy March 23, 2010 at 12:43 pm

That is so very cute, and I could definitely use one. Too bad my fridge is stainless and magnets don't stick. :( Maybe I could just hang it on the wall beside the fridge…

Abigail March 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm

This is so great! :) I hope to make a recipe holder!

LOve loVE!

~* hugs

healing hillary March 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm

love using up every last scrap too. love it love it love it.
too bad my fridge won't hold a magnet. sigh. oh well.

MamaBird March 23, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Your refrigerator looks so pretty! Love it!

NicoleFrontierDreams March 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm

WOO HOOO JULIA! Love her blog :)
I love your use of every little scrap, that's so important to me to use up every last inch!
xo

Stephanie March 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Love both of these ideas! These are definitely soemthing I can use :) Thanks for sharing, you are so talented and crafty!

Kelly March 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

what a great idea! I am always on the search for a pen too. And this makes it pretty.

Nina - Tabiboo March 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Another fabulous idea Heather and not only an accessory – for thr fridge that is, but such a good use as well.

Nina xx

ps. love the colour coordinating!

5orangepotatoes March 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Looks so lovely with the other organizer there!

9 INCHES OF SNOW!!?? I read the 9 inches of snow out loud in your comment on my site and Fauna said, "That's not our forecast is it?!?!?" She was relieved when I told her no. Sorry for the drama, but I really feel for you, I would be a grump if that was our forecast. 😉

Now off to check out the new editor.

lisa

Andrea March 23, 2010 at 7:27 pm

This is so cute! Much nicer than a white board.

shannon March 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm

funky cool, love love!

kendra March 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

wow, this is so lovely, heather! you have really been busting it out! thanks for the white balance example in the last post too. it's been making a huge difference for me to adjust that setting.

and excited for julia + blog!!!

angela March 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I love it, organized with style! I ordered a fat quarter bundle yesturday, I am so inspired. Thanks again, I can't wait to make my own for my fridge!

samthehamsmom March 24, 2010 at 1:51 am

No kidding about every little scrap! I made about 4,000 (JK) different thing with a fabric called Sweet Tweets by Janet Gossard. (google it…pure adorable) I was very sad when we ran out of it…TEAR! Love the fridgies~thanks for the ideas!~

larissa March 24, 2010 at 2:25 am

Great – and super useful – project. I have a notepad with a magnet attached to the back on my fridge and i use it almost every day. I'll make one of these when my paper runs out. Thanks Heather!

Valarie March 24, 2010 at 2:35 am

Here's another great project from your sewing room. So handy and lovely. I'm so happy Julia is with Rhythm of the Home. She is just perfect and a great asset to the team. This news made my day.

Imene March 24, 2010 at 12:00 am

Great addition to your recipe organizer. Speaking of which, I am pretty curious about your recipe cards. Can you tell me more about how you make, organize them?

AdirondackMama March 24, 2010 at 11:00 am

Well, Heather…yet another project to occupy my day. Thank you. Now I just need to find a place locally that sells interfacing.

I am so happy to join you and Bernadette.

Like really REALLY excited.

Hugs

Francesca March 24, 2010 at 12:36 pm

What a good use of your scraps! This is a project I seriously need to consider, at least the pen that ALWAYS goes astray in the kitchen would have its proper place!

AG Ambroult March 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

cute! I'm always looking for scraps of paper to jot something down on. I am in love with the fabric, it screams spring!

kyndale March 24, 2010 at 2:53 pm

you must be the most organized person in the whole world! : ) Kyndale

clarice March 24, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Isn't it satisfying to take bit of fabric and put it together and then get something so pretty and useful out of it? Clarice

patty-jean March 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Beautiful! I Love fabric scraps and the glorious amount of different things that they can be turned into! Thanks for yet another inspiration!

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:21 pm

It really is! I always hate the idea of not being able to use up something, and it is nice to see how far one piece of fabric can go
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I think that funny part is that I was not very organized, and then when I realized that I could make pretty things that helped with that issue, it really brought me to a new place on what I needed to find some true organization for my family :)
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Julia, we are so excited (and grateful) to have you as well. BTW, I am thrilled that you and Laura are opening up a pattern shop. It just sounded like it fits so perfectly for the two of you. Your patterns are amazing, and so well constructed. Sending the love for much success :)
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Oh I hate when I run out of a fabric that I love. Always makes me very sad
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm

The recipe cards that are shown there are actually from Martha Stewart's magazine. I really am not consistent with the way that my cards look. I just find pretty ones that I like, and then mainly hand write my recipes out. I just have this beautiful thought of passing down our handwritten family recipes to my kiddos one day :)
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Lisa, we ended up with twelve inches. It was insane. It is really wet snow too, so it is breaking trees everywhere. Of course, it is supposed to be 55 tomorrow, so it should have a nice melt off here soon :)
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Thank you Hillary!
The one that I made for my girlfriend, she does not have a refridgerator, and she just hung it up with a tack on her wall. It is working out nicely
Have a great day
________________________________________

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 5:08 pm

My girlfriend who I made this for doesn't have a fridge that takes magnets either, and she hung it on the wall with a tack, and says that it has worked just fine :)
________________________________________

Angie March 25, 2010 at 1:10 am

Nice! I especially love the side pocket.

Renee March 25, 2010 at 3:38 pm

What a good idea, love your creativity, thanks for the tutorial, I'll give it a try.

Katina December 13, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Just found your blog from the SMS giveaway and am having fun looking at your patterns. I have a question regarding this comment box. It's so different from all the others I've seen. Where did you get it and is it "attached" to a particular blogger? thanks