Celebrating Spring: The Welcome

March 15, 2010

Today kicks off a week of welcoming in the Spring season. It was hard for me to believe that yesterday was Day Light Savings, and that in just 6 days, we will welcome in this next season.

I love Spring. Love it. I know, I say that with each season, and it is true, but it is just so nice to have soft colors and sweet surroundings to bring some life into our days.

The boys announced firmly yesterday that we needed to make our spring crafts this week, and Jacob had no shortage of ideas. He literally made paper shirts with ties from paper and brown tape, so that his stuffed animals would have have their “Easter best”.

To start off our Spring, I spent some time yesterday afternoon fabric painting squares of pastel fabrics to make a quick and easy flag banner to hang near our kitchen table.

Flag banners have been shown and created in so many books and blogs, and I just love them. I love to see how everyone makes theirs, and all the different possibilities for making it one’s own.

Materials

6 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ ruler or cardboard cutout
1/2 yard of 3 (or more) coordinating fabric
At least 4 yards of double fold bias tape
Fabric paint
Stencils
Pinking shears

Determine how long your flag banner will be, and then decide how many squares you will need.
For my banner, I used 6 squares total

Cut out all of your squares, and using pinking shears, trim all slides slightly

Using a stencil, or painting by hand, create your design on each square using a good quality fabric paint. For this banner, I diluted all of my colors with a white base, to give them a softer look.

Once each square has dried completely, iron according to fabric paint directions. With your bias taped laid out on the floor. Decide what length you would like your banner to be, and how far apart each of your squares should be from each other. I used 4 yards of bias tape, determined the drape that I wanted, and pinned the two end squares to start.

From there, each square was spaced 5 inches apart, and pinned in place. To pin and place your fabric, simply sandwich each square in between the folds of the bias tape.

Using the edge of your presser foot as a guide, top stitch from one end of the bias tape to the other.

Hang, and enjoy!

Thank you all for your incredible comments and emails from yesterday’s post, your words meant so much.

beth March 15, 2010 at 11:25 am

You put a lot of care into crafting this pretty spring garland! love, Beth

samthehamsmom March 15, 2010 at 11:52 am

Great banner~thanks for the tutorial. Spring went away today…4 fresh new inches of the white stuff…ARGHHHHH~ just when I was seeing spring at the end of the tunnel. Have a great spring-ish day Heather~Laura

AdirondackMama March 15, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I have been meaning to make one of those banners for my sewing room. This looks simple enough. Now all I need is some bias tape.
We just got a bunch of snow, but I'm not too sad, I get to go skiing this weekend with my family.

Happy spring Heather.

Joy March 15, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I love that little banner. So cute! We use a fabric banner to welcome spring too. :)

Kelly March 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm

beautiful! thanks for sharing. I am so ready for spring but at the same time can't believe it's actually coming. The weather is warming up, we just need some sunshine.

Andrea March 15, 2010 at 2:06 pm

So pretty and festive!

suzanne March 15, 2010 at 2:41 pm

ohhh i love it!

MamaBird March 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Gorgeous! I love these flag banners too. I made some "prayer flags" last spring, still blowing good wishes from my back patio. I hope to make some new flags this season. Maybe a birthday-style banner, as we don't have one yet. Thanks for sharing your process and inspiration.

Meryl March 15, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Yay for Spring! I'm so ready too. If I make it in from the yard in the next month, a pretty banner would be very nice! :)

Brooke March 15, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I am ready for Spring too! However, I am not very motivated to make the crafts! Thanks for showing this one though, I might be able to do something…

dongdong March 15, 2010 at 4:04 pm

very pretty! We just might give this a try.

Shivayamama March 15, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Well, you just had a beautiful baby, so I understand the issues of motivation :)
________________________________________

Audra March 15, 2010 at 4:43 pm

That is darling! Spring is my favorite season, I'm especially looking forward to it this year after an unusually gloomy winter. Can't wait!!!

Nina - Tabiboo March 15, 2010 at 12:22 pm

A fabulous Spring idea Heather and a perfect make with children – they look so cheery and springy! Hope that make sense?

Have a lovely day,

Nina xx

Lacey March 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm

love it! What a great way to use up scraps & make something really enjoyable.

annie March 15, 2010 at 7:41 pm

That is such a beautiful way to welcome spring. We definitely need to do something like that here. Thanks for the inspiration.

Maeghan March 15, 2010 at 8:10 pm

So cute, do you ever sleep my friend?

kendra March 15, 2010 at 8:43 pm

oooh, they look like tibetan prayer flags – love those little ferny flowers.

Kelli March 15, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Beautiful project! This is kind of what we are doing all this month. I am so very glad for Spring this year. Usually I'm a Fall girl, but this year I'm happy happy to see the warmth and hear the birds singing again.

Stephanie March 15, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Spring really is here, and so glad you're celebrating it this week :) Love your banner, I just made a banner to celebrate the two birthday's in my home this week. For any celebration, even spring… they really liven up the place. Happy spring to you!

angela March 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I love your idea for the painted banner. What a great way to start bringing in spring. I love how your children are involved in the crafting

renee March 16, 2010 at 2:11 am

Happy spring season to you Heather! I understand… of course everyone loves spring, but at the end of winter in Colorado it's kinda more like Thank Goodness It's Springtime! (Even though it could snow again at any time…)

Valarie March 16, 2010 at 2:28 am

Happy Almost Spring!!!!!!! I love this banner idea. I think it would be neat for the tree house. We will have to give this one a try. Thanks for the great craft idea.

nicola March 16, 2010 at 4:14 am

in the last year, i have come to adore bunting and banners. yours is beautiful, but i like the paper easter clothing the best! :)
Which Name?

Lindsey March 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm

What a perfect project for the coming equinox! We're in need of some spring decoration around here. I think this just might be a project for us this week!

suna March 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm

beautiful.

Lisa Q March 16, 2010 at 12:06 pm

what a fun idea…love that it doesn't have any special sentiment written on it…just beautiful.

Kyndale March 17, 2010 at 12:01 am

Hi Heather, I don't know if it's me? The last two times I've tried to leave a comment, it hasn't let me! I love your idea for the banner/bunting (I don't know the difference :) We're going to make them for the equinox! xo Kyndale

larissa March 17, 2010 at 1:40 am

Love everything about this banner – the colors, the designs you chose to paint! Says spring without literally saying spring – great work!

Leanne March 17, 2010 at 4:01 am

What a pretty Spring banner…the seasons change is always so exciting isn't it. Happy impending Spring to you Heather.

Sara March 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I immediately went out to buy supplies and am making a birthday banner for my almost two-year-old with this technique! Looks like fun.

Jennifer March 28, 2010 at 4:03 am

A spring banner is an awesome idea. My project list is overflowing right now, but I just might have to boot something to make room for this!