The Love List

February 11, 2010

Do you ever have those weeks that you just know it is time to throw in the towel and start again on Monday? I am having one of those. Nothing too terribly bad, just in need of a little mind cleansing, and a fresh start.

So for today, I am taking a little trip around this amazing community of ours to find some inspiration.

Powerful Words

First there are three women that I have to acknowledge for their amazing words, and new blogs that have been created. Elizabeth and Lisa have recently started Threading Light . They can be found there each and every Monday, to shine some light on the world that we live in, and the connection that we all share

Gina has created the beautiful Solstice Letters project, an online journal of Gina’s words and other’s images that explores the nature of our lives through the divine. Gina’s ability to write from her heart is amazing, and a wonderful daily dose of inspiration.

I do not share any religious beliefs in this space , and I chose to simply because I find it to be intensely personal, but I will say that while both of these blogs share a certain aspect of connection towards God, I think that they do so in a way that is inclusive to all, and that shines a light on who we are as individuals.

Nicola has been doing a whole lot of inspiring writing as of late, and her post on Finding Balance struck a huge chord with me. I am planning on joining Nicola in an attempt to seek out all of the places where I can bring more balance to my life

Jennifer asks the very difficult question of how to raise grateful children in today’s world. It is a poignant question, and one that leaves a lot to think about.

Ivy holds a place for anyone experiencing a difficult time, and reminds us about small ways to make a big difference in each other’s lives.

Imene explores the power of motherhood, and the challenges that accompany our love for our children

Whirliegig discusses learning to live with out processed foods and the motivation and challenge to do so

Around the Kitchen

A few recipes to get the weekend going right

Jennifer’s Spanish Rice
Nicola’s spicy white bean and sweet potato stew with collards
Maeghan’s Eggplant Gratin
Kyndale’s Black Bean Stew
Tonya’s Healthy Snacks
Audar’s Cheese Grits
Mary Beth’s Peanut Butter Power Bars
Suzanne’s Green Smoothie Popsicles
Kiran’s Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Aja’s Vegan Mac and Cheese

Creative Fun

Some winter projects perfect for February grey skies

Mamawild’s Patchwork draft Snake Modifications
Once Upon a Parent’s Fun Sewn Playhouse
Amy’s Cut and Paste
The Grim’s Finger Weaving
Sistermama’s Weaving on a cardboard loom
Summer Sky’s Bring the Snow Indoors

I am so excited to be speaking tonight in Donna’s amazing tele-seminar series; The Waldorf Connection. I will be speaking on the subject of children and handwork, and the role that it plays in education, transitions, and social development. There have already been three seminars in this FREE series, but it is not too late to sign-up for the remaining seminars if you are interested. Simply visit The Walfdorf Connection to register

Earth Mama February 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I love your Love List! So nice to have all of those wonderful recipes listed together for a quick referance! Thanks so much for the mention of threading light. Elizabeth and I are really excited about it. I hope you get some time to rejuvenate and good luck speaking tonight. What a wonderful opportunity.

:)Lisa

Jennifer February 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm

This is wonderful! I'm really looking forward to checking out all the things on your love list. Thank you so much for including me. I feel so honored.

I just finished making an art book from your tutorial. It's going to be the perfect gift for a special 7 year old that I know. Thank you, it was a lot of fun to make. I think I'll make one for myself now.

Kelly February 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing your talk!

And thanks for all the great links.

Jennifer February 11, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I am so honored to be mentioned along with fabulously inspiring people. Thanks for compiling such a great list. And finally, congratulations on your seminar – good luck tonight!
Jennifer/whirliegig

Its_Lily February 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm

The Love List – that's a beautiful title. I can see it as the title for an ongoing project that I'm mulling over. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. It won't be on line, but written, in big letters on a journal. It seems I've hit a wall (figuratively) and I need the journal to get through it. Right now, I've got to go exploring through your links. Thank you.

Lacey February 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

i'm having one of those weeks as well. I blame the weather. But with this list, it will be easy to refresh & try to re-boot! Thanks for including us! There is more finger-weaving going on right now.

Donna Ashton February 11, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Heather..Can't wait until tonight..this time of the year just lends itself to handwork. Love your beautiful February banner..:)

Maeghan February 11, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Enjoy the Eggplant. thanks for the mention. I feel as if I have had that week for 2 weeks now. I am trying today to stop, breathe and smell the roses and not the dirty diapers in Henry's wetbag! :-)

Valarie February 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Thank you so much for this great and wonderful "love" list. Such an incredible list of amazing women. I'll be on the call tonight. Looking so forward to it.

eliz~ so wabi sabi February 11, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Heather, thanks so much for including threading light on your love list…there is so much positive energy out there right now…it is hard not to feel loved and supported!

I am looking forward to tonight (although I will probably have to listen to the replay tomorrow am)…and sending lots of good energy your way! you always have the perfect way to share what we need…tonight will be another shining example of your ability to inspire and engage!

blessings~

kerry February 11, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh, I can't wait to come back with a cup of tea later and visit all of the links that I haven't already been to. Thanks! Best of luck tonight!

Andrea February 11, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Oh my goodness, you need to cut yourself some slack, girl! You and your children worked on copying famous works of art right through the flu, and you're calling it an "off week"? I'm looking forward to listening to your and to checking out some of these links!

sarah February 11, 2010 at 6:27 pm

What a great and inspiring list of links you put up for us.. you are wonderful! I can't wait to read. Very thoughtful :) Thanks!

Tonya February 11, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Hi Heather,
I am at the library today with wireless so I can leave you a message:)
Thanks for this great list and also for your wonderful posts – so much goodness throughout.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

kate February 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm

oh, so many good places to go~! I'll bookmark and make a note in my little "come back to" book for some quiet reading this weekend. It's funny– how in tune this online community can be…every month I try to pick something to focus on, a monthly mindfulness, and February? It's all about balance. I love the idea of being able to see what others are doing to achieve balance in their own lives, as I've been focusing more on the psychological end– breathing and sitting with the fear and the possibility that harmony already exists– I just have to be open to it. That said, the "nitty gritty" stuff of balance, schedules, priorities, etc. is always a place that the collective can hone together. My Balance stuff can be found here: http://www.theblankiechronicles.com/blog/monthly-… and here: http://www.theblankiechronicles.com/blog/2010/02/

kate February 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

PS– Going to sign up for the Waldorf conference now! Yay!

Kiran February 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Thanks for including me on your Love List! Wow! What great company to be in. I am excited to check out all of the links you listed, and to hear you on Waldorf Connection this evening! Happy Valentines Day!

Ivy February 11, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Oh, I'm honored you included me. Thank you. I look forward to checking out all the others included in your list.

And may I just say, I've so had weeks where I've wanted to just magically make the whole thing disappear. Here's hoping things get back on track soon.

Sachi February 12, 2010 at 1:06 am

Good luck speaking tonight! Thanks for all of the inspiration!

Joy February 12, 2010 at 1:17 am

Loving your love list. :) Thanks, Heather!

Emmalina February 12, 2010 at 1:21 am

I am just now listening to your webcast – you sound really fab! Very together and knowledgeable, well done you!

grandma a February 12, 2010 at 1:34 am

heather, thank you for the link love. i really mean thank you thank you. it came at a very perfect time. (i am with you…one of those weeks when more days ended in tears than smiles, although there is something cleansing in that.) and with those steps toward balance, i really have been closing the computer more. i am seeing such improvements in my time with my kids (yay, although it makes me feel a bit pathetic for the time prior to the past 2 weeks), yet i feel so guilty for not making my way around to everyone's blogs as much and i am MISSING my visits! still working on a happy middle ground, i guess!
keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you have a peaceful weekend, feel better, and remembering the words of anne shirley, my heroine, tomorrow is always fresh…

Francesca February 12, 2010 at 5:40 am

Heather, congratulations! I just saw this now, I wonder whether the tele seminar was just a thing for the US.

Imene February 12, 2010 at 1:52 am

I love your love list!! Thank you for including me in this list of amazing and inspiring women. I was on the webcast tonight, awesome work. It was very informative.

jessica February 12, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love your Love list–you always share such creative and intentional souls!

AdirondackMama February 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Wow Heather, how exciting! I am just checking in on the hotel's internet access and was sad to see that your seminar is already past. ( I signed up and then realized it)
I'm sure you did an amazing job.

Great list as well.

Hugs, Jules

Gina February 13, 2010 at 8:37 am

Really nice list. I love learning about new recipes and projects, especially with all of the snow that we have .

Hannah February 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I can definitely relate to that feeling of starting over on Monday!
Lovely links, thanks for sharing. Wishing you everything your heart desires for the new week :o)

AG Ambroult February 14, 2010 at 2:41 am

Awesome post! Thanks for all these links :)

kmcnay February 16, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Heather, I loved listening to the replay of your presentation on Waldorf Connection and have a question re: allergies.

When giving gifts to my little cousins or older cousins’ children, I have always tried to give gifts of books, crafts, or some other open-ended toy rather than a media tie-in or electronics gadget or such. My grandmother used to make gifts for all of us, and now I’d like to continue that tradition when I can. Now, there are 10 children just in my family, ranging from under-1s to 14 years old. I’ve considered giving all of the children something made of wood (either cost-prohibitive or very time-consuming) or playsilks (also a bit cost-prohibitive) or books (again getting cost-prohibitive). I’m pretty good at sewing and love to spin, and am getting into felting, so those would be more affordable & quick & easy to make gifts with.

In thinking about gifts for a combo birthday party (2, 5, & 7 year olds), I have come upon a problem. The seven (along with his mother) has outdoor & animal related allergies. Which is difficult considering his grandmother and aunt have horses and dogs. I thought I would introduce him & his sister (the five) to fibercraft- felting, knitting, crocheting, etc- or at least make gifts for them (and the other little ones later) out of wool. Now, I want to be considerate and not single him out, but also not cause a reaction.

Are there fibers that could be used to replace wool in handmade gifts? (I’ve heard of soysilk, corn fiber, and bamboo yarns that may be able to be teased apart, but not sure if they work the same.)

Kerrie