Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
How to Really Love a Child - Shivaya Naturals

How to Really Love a Child

February 4, 2010

I am keeping this post short, I have two little ones who need some very serious mama time at the moment, and I am off to take them on a bit of an adventure

I came across this picture on Bella Luna’s FB page , and it hit me so hard. I have been giving a lot of thought about my relationship with my children, and that if it all ended tomorrow, what I would want them to remember about who we were together.

As I was driving home from a friends house yesterday, I heard a terrible piece on NPR about the children in Haiti. There are no words to express what I felt, but I had to stop the car and I could not get control of my emotions (I am pretty sure that I totally freaked out my kids). There have been a lot of reminders lately to hold tight to our little ones, to love them in every moment, and to tell them how special they are.

With that in mind, I have a favor to ask. This statement by Sark is a wonderful start, but I think that it would be neat, as a community, to come together and add our own ways of how we truly love the children in our lives. Maybe it is just really late at night (it is 1:40 here), or maybe I am in an overly emotional place right now, but no matter, I just need to hear some positive words of hope and reassurance (is that OK to ask for???). I have no idea what we can do with this statement once we have all added to it, but I am sure that if we put our creative heads together, we will think of something special

So to start, here is mine

Serve ice cream on your best dishes, have an indoor picnic, tell them everyday how lucky you are to have them.

Thank you to Sarah of Bella Luna Toys for the picture above.

Liz February 4, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Sew them capes and let them live in them. Shape your home and marriage to bless them. Nuzzle them and verbally express how amazing they are multiple times every day. Let them help with dinner even if it involves some serious mess. Learn to say yes rather than no. Care more about them than the opinions of others.

AdirondackMama February 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Tell them the truth.
Expect the truth from them.
Snuggle them when they wake at night.
Let them eat a brownie for breakfast once in a while (like this morning).

AdirondackMama February 4, 2010 at 1:22 pm

PS. Have a great day with your boys.

Kiran February 4, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Drop everything to snuggle. Make messes together. Let THEM lead the way sometimes.

Ariana February 4, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Hold them tight (when they need it) and set them free (when they need it). Let them see your goofy face. Let them know that mistakes are just opportunities to learn. Listen. Laugh. Embrace.

sinead February 4, 2010 at 1:37 pm

sit with them often, don't always be "busy", just sit and be together………..

Earth Mama February 4, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Always stop your car somwhere when they tell you they need to go to the bathroom. Remember to give hugs and kisses first thing in the morning. Have picnic lunches with fancy things and candles. Be silly.

Jamie February 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Let them see you smile when happy, but that it is o.k. to cry when you are sad.
Dance and look silly, they are not judging you but happy that you are dancing along.
Let them make a mess without having to clean it up.

Sarah Jane February 4, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Let them use their imagination even if it means beating up your house a bit. Let them make a spiderweb from the sash rope… all over the room!

Francesca February 4, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Give them coordinates, but let them find their own way. Have a wonderful adventure with your boys, I know you will!

MamaAcorn February 4, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Agree to a 2 am snack. Build. Go on "bear hunt" together. Give hugs, many hugs.

Deb Price February 4, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Let them see you do something that is totally unlike you: I once had a watergun fight, with the girls, in the house! Really fun and the girls and I always will remember it! Let them know they count in this big world… that what they feel is real, even if it is only to them…tell them you love them everyday…let them know when you have made a mistake….

Gabriele February 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm

let them make a campfire on the balcony.
and see what devellopes.

Ella February 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thank you so much for this. I needed this today.

Stop caring about the mess
Learn to love mud as much as they do. Even if it is in your house and on their clothes.
Build tunnels
Say thank you
Make a lot of noise
Introduce them to the joy of 'quiet'
Do more asking and less telling
Cook together
Sit down on the floor with them and play with them on their level.
Turn off the computer…which is what I'm going to do now 🙂

Emilie February 4, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Listen. Really listen. Embrace their "help" no matter how much more difficult their help makes your task. Play outside everyday. Instead of killing creepy crawly things, make them your pets. Eat their cheeks and pat their bums often.

P.S. I just started reading this blog this month, and I love your writing. I always finish reading feeling inspired and motivated. Thank-you for creating this beautiful spot in the universe.

Andrea February 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Let them get in your bed at night when they're scared or cold. Don't worry about being late to work or school once in a while. Speak softly…even when you feel like screaming. Take them to the library. Sing along to The Beatles or The Ramones with them. Cuddle. Keep your own dreams, desires and expectations in check; remember they are their own people.

Nicola @ Which Name? February 4, 2010 at 2:53 pm

yes. this is part of what is behind my steps toward balance. enjoy your adventure.

Meryl February 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Send them a package in the mail, completely out of the blue. Remember how much fun it used to be to get mail with your name on it?

Fiona February 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Let them build a treehouse. Allow them to explore. Cherish them. Nurture them. Give them what they need to be creative.

I also kept the last sentence of your last post as it struck a chord with me. I think it fits well here. Maybe you could add it to the list?
I am not worried about my children not learning the basics of reading a book, I am worried that they will not know the basics of creating a story.- shivaya naturals
Enjoy the day with your boys.

Kim February 4, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Sing to them, sing with them. Enjoy the moments they want to cuddle and enjoy the moments they want to be free. Protect them but don't shelter them…let them experience their big and amazing world. And you can NEVER give to many hugs and kisses or let them to much how much you love them. Learn from THEM everyday. They can teach you how to be a better parent/person and reintroduce you to your inner child 🙂

Ivy February 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Have an after dinner dance party. Cuddle up with them on their own, but also in a big family heap. Tell them I love them every single day. Give hugs when they're asked for and when they aren't. Be silly. Acknowledge your own mistakes and learn to laugh at yourself. Be there to catch them when they fall.

Ivy February 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

P.S. I hope you have a grand day out and a marvelous adventure. Your boys are so lucky to have you as their mom!!!

Brooke February 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm

let them sit on your lap, even when they don't fit; read them books when they ask; answer their questions – honestly; let them see the world how it is sometimes, you never know what kind of positive thing they will see and enlighten you with.

I REALLY needed this. It is hard to remember on a day to day basis to really live and appreciate. Thank you SO much Heather, from my heart. Hope you have a grand adventure today!

lorena February 4, 2010 at 3:18 pm

get up early and snuggle into their bed with them……….and fall sleep………

eliz~ so wabi sabi February 4, 2010 at 3:27 pm

build fairy houses
look them in the eyes
stomp in puddles
play with worms
listen deeply
make up stories together
embrace who they are at each moment

thank you so much for sharing this heather!
p.s. sometimes short is perfect;)

Valarie February 4, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Sit in the treehouse during a storm. Sing at the dinner table but not with your mouth full. Swim with sea turtles, dive with orca whales, watch the eagles in their nests, fishing, laugh often, hug even more, eat more chocolate, always keep a running list of why you and how you love them, sing it to them everyday. Have a great day with your boys.

cat February 4, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Turn off the T.V.
Spend the morning painting silly pictures.
Get down on the floor and play.
Remind them how special they truly are.
Remember to stop and really look at them…the beauty in every movement makes my heart swell when I remember to just look.
Sit and do nothing together…just be in the moment.

Thanks so much Heather!!

Jen February 4, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I love reading all of these ideas!!!
As mine are bickering in the other room right now…I need to love them at all times-more than myself, take time to really listen, sing to them at bedtime, kiss their boo-boos, read in silly voices, guide them in making their own choices and learning from their mistakes.

Michelle February 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm

How about this, Give them definite boundaries and let them explore inside them.

Kelly February 4, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Hug them always and often. Tell them how lucky you are to be their momma. When you fail them try again and again to do better next time.

Its_Lily February 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Do things with them….not just for them. Play in the dirt, walk with them somewhere, create anything with them – they don't care. Give them all the responsibility they can handle and the freedom to make mistakes while they're young. Let them lead.

rose February 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Look at them when they enter the room. Listen with your whole soul when they speak. Allow them the space to be who they are, even if it isn't who you thought they were or want them to be. Laugh at their jokes. Hold them until they feel better.

Angela February 4, 2010 at 4:51 pm

I am so moved by all the previous comments…
I can only think to share this thought. I am a mama to four ( from 14yrs. to 3yrs.) and there are many moments throughout our days when I wish for a little breathing room of my own, but…my fervent prayer as a mama is to be available, open, receiving, and responsive to them even when I feel overloaded, especially when I feel overloaded! I think that children can feel our energetic turning away, and it registers deeply with them. I feel our paying attention to them nourishes their very souls…

Thank you so much for reminding me, with your post, of this way of wanting to be with my children…it is so easy to lose sight of what truly matters.

April February 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm

say sorry to them when you mess up or hurt their feelings… give them the chance to "do over" a mistake… be yourself, (not "mom")… love yourself… give the unexpected hug/cuddle/I love you

bellalunatoys February 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Thank you, Heather, for reposting this and for your kind mention of Bella Luna Toys. How wonderful to to read all the heartfelt and thoughtful comments that this posting has generated! Here is one of my own to add.

When they are teenagers, on those rare occasions when they want to talk to you and are willing to open up about their feelings, stop and drop whatever you are doing and listen. Listen without judgment, without interrupting, and without formulating a response in your head. Do not try to fix their problems, just listen like a cow. Stop and listen, even if it is 2:00 a.m. and you have to get up at 6:00. If you are not available when they need an ear, they may just stop talking.

Michelle February 4, 2010 at 5:14 pm

That was so beautiful!

introduce them to sunrises and sunsets.
remember that broken objects can be replaces but little hearts broken by harsh words are forever altered.
create some magic.
bake cookies– on a tuesday.. .for no reason.
dace/play/swim/build/get dirty/jump/sing/run/laugh.. WITH them. playtime needs no audience!

quirkygranolagirl February 4, 2010 at 5:30 pm

when they are sad, hug and sing and rock in the rocker until all is well again. and ask them to do it with you sometimes when you are sad, too.

maeghan February 4, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Hugs and kisses! Giggles and tickles! Let them know how amazing they are, I just make up little songs and such. My boys love it. Thanks for sharing, I have had a grumpy week I am afraid with my Cameron especially and right now I could use a big Cameron hug and smile! I think a carpet picnic for snack after school is in order today! M &M's and popcorn!

CatieP February 4, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Have a backwards dinner – you have multiple desserts and only one vegetable/meat dish. Children must eat dessert before they can have dinner.

Make matching clothes for them and their dolls (my absolute favorite as a child).

read together

Julia B February 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I LOVE this, it is so true! We are working so hard on this….

Sarah February 4, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Say "yes" to reading the book you are tired of, apologize when you are wrong, notice when their inner light shines and reflect that shine in a smile back to them.

Stephanie February 4, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Sit quietly with them and hold them tight when they are scared. Let them crawl into bed when they need to snuggle, let them blow bubbles in the house

Char February 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm

I LOVE this…and think I will do this this evening…my girls are always asking if they have something in the mail.
Char

char February 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU for this post…the WINTER can drive us all looney being cooped up inside when it's -20 outside.
walk in the rain
have snow fights
make cookies
eat ice cream for breakfast
build play forts inside
the list goes on.
Thanks.
Char

Sara February 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Turn off the TV
Whisper sweet things in their ears while you tuck them in at night
Let them help, even when it really makes the job harder
Give them a million kisses a day

What a great post and reminder to remember what is important.
PS–I LOVE SARK!!!

AG Ambroult February 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm

let them pour out the entire bottle of glue or paint. Worry about the mess later.
thanks for this post. I've been thinking about mindfulness in parenting lately, too.

Joy February 4, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Let them build a fort together and sleep in it together even if you know they won't sleep as well as they would in their own beds.
Read together every day.
Lie in bed with them at least once each week and just listen.
Let them make a mess, a big mess, then teach them to help clean it up.
Kiss them a million times every day that they'll let you.

Susan February 4, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Kiss and hug her baby doll when she asks and enjoy it. Hold his big boy hand and skip, even when there are other people around. Race all of your little ones up the hill and then roll down, melting into a big pile of giggles at the bottom.

Carrie February 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm

My favorites listed here so far are: Care more about them then the opinions of others. Hold them tightly when they need it and set them free when they need it. Let them lead the way sometimes. Do more asking and less telling. Send them a package in the mail just because. Love them for who they are. Introduce them to sunrises and sunsets. Get up early and go snuggle in THEIR bed with them. Listen without judgment,without interrupting,without formulating a response in your head.

I would like to add, get them out of bed at midnight and go to the perfect spot to see a meteor shower(like geminids in january). Take them into the forest in the dark to seek a species of mushroom that glows in the dark. Slide down the stairs on a cot mattress. Don't teach them to be ashamed of negative feelings,that only teaches them shame.

Merrie February 4, 2010 at 8:33 pm

My daughter told me "Mom, thanks for not being my friend & being my Mom all those years. Thanks for being hard on me." I was a single Mom for years & I struggled with wanting to be the "cool mom" but I knew that I had to keep the "Mom Hat" on. Not that I didn't have plenty of fun with my daughter, but I never forgot my role to be her Mother. I told her that if she did her job, which was getting good grades, being respectful, doing her chores, etc. that the result would be that we could be friends. Now that she is entering adulthood, she realizes why I had to be that way. Already she has seen kids she just graduated with last June already fall victim to drug & alcohol abuse, pregnancy, even death as a result of some of them having parents who forgot to parent & had no rules or discipline. So I say love your kids, give them rules & boundaries, let them mess up now & again to learn how to deal with the effects of disobedience, etc. They will grow up with the gift of knowing they had parents who loved them immeasurably.

denise February 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm

be there. be in their lives. Use everyday moments to teach. Love them just as they are.

HandmadeHomeschool February 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Build a blanket fort and line the floor with pillows. Climb in it with them.

Wake them every morning with a kiss.

Look them in the eyes.

Susan February 4, 2010 at 9:53 pm

erase "just a minute" from your vocabulary

shannon February 4, 2010 at 9:56 pm

glad to know i wasn't the only one up at 1:30 a.m. last night! thank you for this. nothing is sweeter than our children. i feel so incredibly blessed that i get to be a mom. what i try to do with my sweet boy is listen to him. be present with him. look at him in his eyes. give lots of hugs and kisses and tell him i love him often. acknowledge him and his feelings. rub his hair. sing and dance. limit saying "no" and "don't". and let his imagination soar so he can be the person he's meant to be.

helen February 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm

let them see your humanity
admit when you're wrong
never be scared to ask for their forgiveness

smell them
touch them and let them touch you
sink your hands deep into the sand and smile at moonbeams

let them be children
make up silly songs together and dance around and around
tread carefully for their lives are all dreams

breathe don't shout
when you think your heart will break with the pain of loving them, with how hard it is to be patient and how hard it is to fulfil their needs;
love them more, give them more, open yourself to the possibility of expansion.

Thank you Heather, with a new baby it has been a rough ride here lately and my big girl needs me so much that I need this sort of thing to ground me in my parenting values and remember how precious both my babes are. I haven't been reading for long, but I'm loving it here.

Jannette February 4, 2010 at 11:15 pm

I needed this today. Forget the dishes and the vacuuming, it will be there later. Play at the playground with them instead of watching. Answer every question they ask no matter how many times they ask it. Play dress up with them and join the tea party. Thanks for this.

Stephanie February 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm

If they want to go swimming and it's the middle of winter…. fill up the bath tub for a swim (did this today!) Just love them and hug them! 🙂

Mariah February 4, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Sit down and "just be" with them. They will feel your presence.
Stop. Listen. Learn.

Polly February 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Talk in gibberish for 5 whole minutes, making the wildest sounds you can think of!

Courtney February 5, 2010 at 12:14 am

Read together. Celebrate pajama days. Play Legos together.

Jennifer B. B'klyn February 5, 2010 at 12:39 am

Let them teach you, too.
Let them sing the lyrics any way they hear them.
Let them laugh, and laugh along.
Make art every day,
Let them build gigantic "cars" out of cardboard boxes in the middle of the living room.
Apologize when you're the one who's wrong.

jessica February 5, 2010 at 12:46 am

I love sark so much. I just read through one sark book this past weekend. Here's mine: make messes, laugh, jump in puddles, blow kisses, hold hands, let them know you love them…just because.

Rachel February 5, 2010 at 12:55 am

Remember they are complete at this moment, that there is no such thing as a bad kid, just less than desirable behavior, smile at them every single day.

Thanks for this! I enjoyed the original post and reading the comments.

Julia B February 4, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Tell them they are special. Often. And mean it with your whole heart when you say it. Even the youngest child can understand the feeling behind this simple phrase.
I just asked my five year old who is sitting on my lap, "what makes you feel the most special…?" She didn't have to think, she simply replied, "when you are home".

Lisa/Rosamund February 5, 2010 at 1:46 am

Hug them and tell them you love them daily, call them "Lovey" and "Rabbit" and "Sweetie" even when they're teenage boys and they think it's annoying. Drop a chocolate valentine on their algebra 2 homework when they're not looking, do something they like to do that you have never done(this gets trickier with older boys but I learned it is really fun to play Rock Band with them), look them in the eye and say "I am so proud of you" and "It is an honor and a blessing to be your mother."

jennifer February 5, 2010 at 2:02 am

Thank you, I loved the post and reading all the comments.

Be present with them, let them be who they are, play with them everyday, create art, dance & laugh together, hug and kiss them and tell them you love them everyday.

larissa February 5, 2010 at 2:47 am

Beautiful post! Turn off the tv and computers in the evening. have dinner together by candlelight. listen to what they have to say. sing the songs they want to sing. snuggle on the couch as a family. keep your marriage strong and model a loving healthy relationship. tell them how much you love them when you tuck them in each night so that they can have sweet dreams – even if they're about to turn 11.

Courtney February 5, 2010 at 2:47 am

oooh – this one – this one is the one I've been working on lately

Courtney February 5, 2010 at 2:51 am

save them from themselves – when they are being wee monsters – try not to get frustrated in the unnecessary of it all – but help them make it right – help them save face

Courtney February 5, 2010 at 2:52 am

and of course – all the other things everyone said – the times I need to love them most is when they are being the most difficult

mandy February 5, 2010 at 3:02 am

i have had that same thought that you are having and have had a similar break down crying moment myself thinking of the families torn apart in the last weeks.

hold them
just when you are about to say no, pause, say yes instead
when they are melting down or being rude, don't look at other adults, look at that precious child and hold them closer
indulge
tell stories
get down on the floor to play
look at them
learn from them
be with them when you are with them.

Thank you Heather, for sharing this.
Peace and Love,
Mandy

Leanne February 5, 2010 at 3:34 am

Oh I love sark and this is just beautiful.
What to add that hasn't been added already?…
BE HUMAN
SAY SORRY
GIVE TIME
KISS
LOVE WITH PASSION
LISTEN
PLAY
TALK

Wendy February 5, 2010 at 3:38 am

today was a really rough day with my son (3 y.o.) so thank you for this sweet reminder. I get both kids to myself this weekend and will definitely practice each and every commandment!

shari February 5, 2010 at 3:44 am

Learn to see things through your children's eyes. Slow down and enjoy every moment possible, they are only little once. Let them just be kids! Be silly. Have tea parties with all the fixin's. Play dress up. Have "silly" days where everyone in the house must come in costume to dinner. Surprise them with impromptu adventures and activities.

Thanks Heather for such an amazing blog! I have been following your writings for a while now and you always know how to instill a sense of calm no matter how crazy or hectic my day has been. You are truly an inspiration!

Adrie February 5, 2010 at 3:46 am

First: it is more than okay to ask for this, it's great.
Kiss them for no reason.
Show them the earth and its love.
Pet animals together.
Light candles, say grace, give thanks.

natalie February 5, 2010 at 5:35 am

This is a beautiful post. Here is mine:

Take time everyday to really notice them
memorize every inch of them
dance when they aren't expecting it
hold them a little bit longer

Kathy@Oiko February 5, 2010 at 9:27 am

Look deep into the eyes of your baby and watch him as he explores your face with fingers in your mouth, nose, eyes and tugging at eyelashes. Trust he will be gentle, watch the joy on his face.

Linda February 5, 2010 at 10:05 am

This is just beautiful Heather, thank you so much for sharing!

Jaime February 5, 2010 at 10:33 am

Make cake…even if its 9 in the morning or 10 at night. Try to fit in a minimum of 100 kisses every day. Allow the creativity of your child to flow through every medium he can get his hands on…even the messy ones. Spend at least a few minutes of each day outside. Talk about everything and anything. Don't let your fear get in the way of his adventures…he can do things you never would thought possible. And as a mama, take a moment every once and a while to really see the amazing, loving, beautiful little human being that you helped create and feel a little bit of pride knowing that you really aren't doing so bad after all 🙂

jessie February 5, 2010 at 10:36 am

to be patient, to step away from hurrying and move into child-time. to let a walk around the block take an hour. I wish I didn't find it so challenging, but I'm always working, working on it.

Iris February 5, 2010 at 1:16 pm

This post was exactly what I needed when I got up this morning, crabby and tired because my littlest one woke me up several times during the night and then got up early on top of it… I confess that I've been a grumpy momma lately, just because my energy is so low and I feel that my well hasn't been filled up in a long time. And yet, I remind myself several times a day about how I really want to be as a mommy – certainly not grumpy!
So, here's my addition to Sark's wonderful list:
Put on some music and dance with scarves or ribbons. Snuggle up with them in bed and tell them stories, at night, in the dark. Have colorful pencils, crayons and paper out all the time. Let them play dress-up all day.

Kelly February 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I have this hanging in my closet. I keep it in my closet so every morning as I get dressed- I see it and always read a line or two then I am ready for the day with my darling children!

Sarah B. February 5, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Tell them in their sleep how much you love them.

jenn February 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Two thoughts come to mind immediately.. one for a younger child (mine is 6)- Let your child create, your child will love you for it and don't worry about the mess. It will clean up later. Listen quietly as they play and play along when asked. For an older child (mine is 15) – Listen to their chatter, it will tell you a lot about them. Listen to their plans and dreams.. it might change by next week. Believe what they say and encourage always.

Hannah February 5, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Heather, this post is a lovely idea and the comments everyone has left are a treasure trove of wisdom and gratitude – thank you!

Here's mine: Don't save things for "best" – everyday with your children is a special occasion.

Stacy (Mama-Om) February 5, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Let them have their own emotions.
Act goofy.
Say yes.
Take care of yourself.
Feed them well.
Hold their hand.

Shannon February 6, 2010 at 3:40 am

Kindness. In everything.

Paige February 6, 2010 at 4:53 am

Put a note in their lunch everyday, be it a wish for a happy day, or a knock-knock joke, or a simple I Love You.

Lindsey February 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Listen, so they know what they say is heard.
Let them be dirty.
Surprises.

Danielle February 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I was so inspired by all that has been listed here and by the challenge to find something special to do with it. So, I put it all together into a .pdf file, a little something for us all to print and post somewhere in our homes to remind ourselves, when it all gets a little difficult, of the many different ways that we can love our children.

Check it out over at my blog:

Camille Dumas Davis February 7, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Show love for your mate in front of them.
Dance a lot.

Jennifer February 7, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Stop and hug them when they've made you angry
build a snowman or fort together
have a pillow fight
be patient
accept them for who they are
validate their ideas and inventions

Caprissa February 8, 2010 at 1:03 am

Don't have children of my own. However, I taped up a child's art in my work-space this week. She had colored it while I was meeting with her mom. I'm going to fill the whole wall by then end of February.Reach out to a child this week by looking them in the eyes and letting them know they are noticed.

Camille Dumas Davis February 8, 2010 at 7:58 am

Good!

Camille Dumas Davis February 8, 2010 at 8:01 am

I really like 'take care of yourself'.
That is an important one.

Sarah@EmergingMummy March 22, 2010 at 8:33 pm

There aren't even words for how much I love this. Every word of it. Thank for this! You never cease to get me focused on the truth.

Shivayamama March 24, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Thank you so much. This was one of my favorite posts ever, and it was really cool to see how everyone came together for it 🙂
Have a wonderful day