Feeling Spring

February 16, 2010

I was walking through my family room yesterday evening, and when I looked outside, the light was still there. It was 5:55 at night, and the light was still there.

Spring is coming

To be honest, I am really feeling done with Winter. This is about the time, every year, when I am ready to get out into my garden, to take hikes with out ice and snow, and to open up my doors and windows to let in a cool breeze.

This is not, however, that time in Colorado.

Don’t get me wrong, we have had an amazing winter here, and I have nothing to complain about, except that no matter what, I am still ready for Spring.

It is always a challenge, because we have to prepare for the coming season so far in advance. Yesterday, while my family was still up skiing in the cold snow, I was down creating garden plans, and cataloging seeds.

This year, I really want to create much more of an outdoor living space. I so feel the need to live as much out of doors as possible this Spring and Summer, and to enjoy watching my children run through sprinklers, catch (and release) fireflies, and enjoy melting Popsicles.

I know that it is still winter, and that the trick is to keep ourselves in the present moment, to savor where we are, rather than to wish upon the future. Still, I miss fresh fruit and vegetables, and if I have to eat one more bowl of soup, I will have no choice but to cry.

Yes, I do need to stop whining now, don’t I? The seasons are coming into transition, and Spring will be here before we know it. For now, it is time to savor the last of the internal part of the year, the hibernation and seclusion that winter brings with it. It is time to prepare for the earth waking up, and the endless possibilitis of the warmth ahead.

To give myself just a little taste of Spring, I broke out the light linen napkins that I found in the thrift store months back, and hand painted them for us to enjoy. To enjoy on those warm nights for dinner in our backyard, or afternoons spent along the river. Just a small taste of the warm months ahead.

Winter may still be here, but Spring is coming.

Lovely World February 16, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I've been noticing the return of the light as well. I recently bought tulips for the table, and noticed the seed display that went up at our co-op. My brother makes maple syrup – and I know he anticipates that the sugaring season begins in early March. So, yes, the early signs are there.

Susie February 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi
So funny to read your entry today – here in Scotland it is finally getting light before 8am and staying light until 5.30pm. I thought exactly the same things as you have written today. I love February in Scotland – it is like emerging from a dark (albeit cozy) hole and standing blinking in the springtime. Good to know others are feeling the same!
Cheers, Susie

KimmieKusz February 16, 2010 at 1:55 pm

As I mentioned in my yesterday comment: I am done with snow! Huzzaaaaah for Spring!

Michelle February 16, 2010 at 2:31 pm

What a great post. I love your photographs. I am a winter person myself and I could eat soup every day but I too am looking forward to spring. It is summer that gets way too hot for my liking even though we live in Central Saskatchewan.

kerry February 16, 2010 at 2:47 pm

I have been feeling spring lately too. In the light and in the birdsong that greets me each time I step outside. I can feel it coming and boy does it make me feel happy! (Let's just hope I can hold on to that feeling for the next two months until spring actually arrives in Minnesota!)

Beth Curtin February 16, 2010 at 2:48 pm

We took a walk in the woods this weekend, and though everything was covered with snow I felt like the earth was stirring, thawing , and waking up a bit deep underground. The woods felt alive, not just frozen anymore. And the days are definitely getting longer. It feels great. Hang in there just a little while longer! Beth

Kiran February 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm

We had a very warm and spring like day here yesterday and it put me in such a great mood! The napkins are so pretty!

Aimee February 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Ha ha, as a Denver girl I noticed the exact same thing last night. Wow, its still light outside, I thought to myself as I was getting dinner on the table. It was nice hearing you on the Waldorf connection the other day, I listened to the webcast on handwork. Trying to figure out if we are going to move (ie put our house on the market again!) or stay put.

Mamawild February 16, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I think we all are beginning to feel the close of winter, or we are wishing we would. It's funny that you mentioned opening the windows…I had forgotten all about that. Is it possible? Am I so fickle that I have forgotten what fresh breezes blowing through the window feels like? Oh Spring…come quickly. : ) Maybe if we all wish together, it will come sooner. : )

kyndale February 16, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Yes, spring is coming Heather! I think it's alright to plan for your garden now! I think in a practical sense, planning for the future is a healthy thing to do. Especially when it comes to your garden!! What's your favorite seed catalog??

Maeghan February 16, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I hear you sister! I am so anxious for Spring too. We have been planning the garden, I am so excited!

Ivy February 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Oh winter. The longest and hardest season. I don't know many people who complain about spring, summer or fall…..but winter. February is always the longest month. And I cannot wait for a spring to arrive! I will say I've started to hear more birds chirping on the walk to and from school in the mornings. So it cannot be too far off, right. Right?!?!

grandma a February 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm

heather, i am just catching up on your posts. enjoying your art, chocolate, friendship, and spring dreaming. i can't fully understand the cold wishful end of winter, because we don't get snow around our home, but the light….the light i understand and i noticed as well. it is sneaking back in and i am grateful for it. we have had a lot of grey and wet here, so a little more length to the day is nice. your creative sewing and photos are inspiring as always!

nicola February 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm

not sure why my last comment showed up as grandma a. oops!

NicoleFrontierDreams February 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Oh yes! We actually have flowers blooming on our trees here. It's crazy!! Almost time for the root children 😉 Did you get my e-mail, btw?
XOXO

michelle s. February 16, 2010 at 6:37 pm

You really have an uncanny way of saying exactly how I am feeling. It's like you channel my thoughts. LOL. I swear I have been thinking all the same things you are for the past few weeks. All the snow that is still outside is getting to me. I am really ready for spring.

Emmalina February 16, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Gorgeous. A tantalising taste of spring in the midst of winter. It will be over soon, it will!

Chris Worthy February 16, 2010 at 7:17 pm

What she said. :)

larissa February 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm

You captured the feeling of spring so perfectly in these fresh images. we still have several inches of snow/ice on the ground and i am ready for spring. Gorgeous napkins – love your simple graphic designs.

kristen February 16, 2010 at 8:07 pm

love your beautiful blog! i passed on the beautiful blogging award to you!

Have a great day!

Ann February 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Spring is coming. The light is staying longer each day and I noticed the green shoots from the bulbs starting to poke through the soil. Snowdrops are here and I saw my first yelow crocus on sunday whilst out for a walk.
Happy Monday

Gerri February 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I look outside my window and we are getting more snow. But, that's ok, you have reminded me that it doesn't last forever and Spring IS right around the corner. Have fun planning!

Natasha February 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm

*~~~~~spring is right around the corner.It dawned on me today that March is a mere two weeks away.TWO WEEKS!!!!
You did a lovely job on those napkins,
Kind blessings,
Natasha~~~~~*

lily boot February 16, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Lovely photos Heather and those placemats look beautiful. I know what you mean about waiting for the transition – I'm done with the heat of summer here in Australia. When the hot weather continues into the new school year, I always feel a wee bit cross – that's summer holiday weather, I tell the clouds, give us some cool and grey so that we can settle into our busy new responsibiities! I still haven't received any emails from you and am wondering now whether you have received any from me! :-) Our computers are like the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead! I did reply to you yesterday and sent a long email a couple of weeks ago. Hmmmm …. don't know what to do. I'm not having having a problem with any of my other emails.

kate February 16, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I know just what you mean– I get these deep urges to throw every root vegetable against the wall right now and beg for something, anything GREEN! Perhaps this part of winter is like that last month of pregnancy– we get so ready to see the light that when it comes, it is that much sweeter. hugs!

Lisa Q February 16, 2010 at 4:15 pm

spring is coming. spring is coming. spring is coming…..I'll just keep saying it and eventually it will be here. I'm ready too…but I know with spring comes lots of extra jobs and work…i'm trying to enjoy the rest of winter…hang in there girl. spring is coming!

sunnymama February 16, 2010 at 11:30 pm

I'm looking forward to spring this year more than in any previous year. Your lovely post has reassured me that spring will get here in it's own good time! :)

Jodi February 17, 2010 at 12:03 am

I think Spring is definitely on the minds of all of us….And yes, all of a sudden it's light, later. Yippee! By the way, I love your new header.

sarah February 17, 2010 at 12:05 am

We are in the same boat. Colorado and Montana. We have a way to go. Good to prepare and also be in the moment too.. wise words. This makes the time pass to spring in a quick fashion!

Suzanne February 17, 2010 at 12:06 am

Oh yes, I noticed it was light at 5;15pm! Of course, we are in the middle of a snow storm right now so Spring is not on my mind…LOL! But you have encouraged me to get out my seed catalogs and get the ordering done:-)

sarah February 17, 2010 at 12:08 am

P.S.
You are so sweet! I saw you had a link; "The story of Honeybees," and I thought to myself.. yay! she likes bees too.. and then to find that the link was to my blog! You are a dear.
I am smiling and glad you liked it!

Adrie February 17, 2010 at 12:14 am

Love to you in the next weeks as spring sneaks in. We've been noticing those extra minutes of light, too – so welcome. Also, we can suddenly feel warmth from the sun at midday. Trying to take these small tokens when we can. Beautiful napkins.

Adrie February 17, 2010 at 12:18 am

Oh, and you inspired me to make rice pudding for my daughter for her bedtime snack sometimes – she totally loves it. Thanks for the idea!

Jennifer February 17, 2010 at 12:55 am

Oh, I LOVE the catalogs with the images of what's to come! I would also like to create more outdoor living spaces. We really need to take advantage of the spring and gorgeous summers here in Maine. The linen napkins are beautiful, what a great find.

Stephanie February 17, 2010 at 1:32 am

Don't worry spring will be here very, very soon! My son and I have birthday's sandwiching the first day of spring, and I have lots of party planning and present sewing to do, so trust me when there is lots to do the time flys, so it will be spring in a blink of an eye!

Sachi February 17, 2010 at 1:57 am

Garden plans!! I have been thinking about those all day. Do you have raised beds for your seeds or do you put them right in the ground? This is on my mind right now as we are moving into a new house and getting a pool removed… This stuff is so fun to think about, isn;t it?

Valarie February 17, 2010 at 3:06 am

I'm ready for spring too. Like you I've got my garden catalogs out and dreaming of planting. Soon. I saw 16 robins in my front yard. I just love those little napkins you made. They're very cute. Stay warm and know I'm hoping for spring right along with you.

Nina - Tabiboo February 16, 2010 at 8:24 pm

All that has been swirling around in my head recently you've captured so beautifully with your words. Images of blossom and Spring flowers followed by sweet pea wafting on the breeze, the children racing around whilst the adults sit back and relax.

What can I say? I'm an old romantic, but a true believer – for Spring is definitely just around the corner.

Have a wonderful day,

Nina x

shannon February 17, 2010 at 4:53 am

thanks for getting me excited about spring! and now i'm craving avocados!

louana February 17, 2010 at 7:07 am

here you are dreaming of warmer weather and I'm dreaming of getting snuggly in the cold weather I hope will come soon! Love the napkins!

geek+nerd February 17, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Oh gosh, I know that feeling too. I love my seasons, but there is a point during winter where enough is enough! We got nailed by a huge snowstorm last night…I'm going to have to extract my car before heading off to work this morning, sigh. Hurry up spring!

Ann in Indy February 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I can't wait for spring! I like the snow but to see some grass would certainly be nice! And I've been sick for the past week and some warm spring sun would certainly help this body heal! Thanks for giving me the hope of spring today!

HandmadeHomeschool February 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Being from Canada, I can really relate. Late winter is hard. I struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (not at all an irony that the short form for that is SAD). Since I've been using a full-spectrum lightbox every day for the past few winters it has been easier – no longer sleeping for hours, eating too much, struggling with full depression.

But I still get an itch at this time of year. A horrid feeling of being trapped. I consider chopping my hair off or colouring it every March. I crave a holiday like a junkie craves drugs. I want to have a Mommy rather than be the Mommy. I want change. I want freedom. But I get late winter.

Every year I try new things. Some years we have lots of parties – crank the heat and have beachy indoors silliness, or have movie marathons, or tea and poetry. Some years we do a million field trips. Some years I do a special unit study – something that is learning but feels like fun.

Every year, it doesn't really work. But the attempts themselves keep me going from one idea to the next until suddenly things are beginning to melt.

marina February 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Oh such a beautiful, lovely post! It's supposed to be over 70 degrees here this week and it's making me itch to be out in the garden. I love seeing how you plan your garden, it makes me think I should actually put some thought into our yard this year :)

Audra February 17, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I have been daydreaming about daffodils, there's something magical about those first green spears poking up through the brown dirt. Our seed catalog came recently and it is stashed in my nightstand for peaceful bedtime perusing. Happy dreaming!

jessica February 18, 2010 at 12:40 am

The other day it felt somewhat spring-ish. At least it was sunny and I could walk outside. Tonight is a different story. But when I was walking I noticed the tiniest of buds on the trees–that was enough to give me hope through this snowfall. I do love your fabric prints…my fabric paint got lost in the move.

Andrea February 18, 2010 at 3:06 am

I am so with you on being done with winter (and am not making myself too popular here in Maine by being glad the snow is all falling south of us!) and I too was amazed when I left work at 5:30 tonight and it was still light out!

Kelly February 18, 2010 at 3:06 am

We had a bit of spring while in Texas this last week. It was wonderful. I am not much of a winter person and live in the wrong part of the country for that but I try to make do. I too am beyond ready. I like the idea of a taste of spring.

Helisa February 18, 2010 at 6:37 am

My son and I went for a long walk today and it was beautiful..sunny, in the 40's..the snow is melting and the birds are beginning to chirp so happily! Spring is just around the corner…we think the groundhog was mistaken….thanks for your blog..i just love it

Hannah February 19, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I usually feel that way – impatient for Spring. This year I tried so hard to embrace winter that I'm not quite as organised as I should be for getting the seeds sorted etc! It's typical of me not to be able to find the middle ground.
I love your napkins, I have a few ideas for some fabric painting too, I'm looking forward to getting on with that soon.

Jennifer February 21, 2010 at 3:37 am

I couldn't agree more! We've had an especially hard winter this year, much colder and snowier than I've ever had in these parts. And I'm itching to get started on our garden too! We're already saving egg cartons to start seeds!

Carol April 6, 2010 at 3:26 am