Book Covers and Chai Scones

February 2, 2010

Thank you all for the wonderful comments from yesterdays post. It was great to hear everyone’s thoughts and suggestions, and it left me with a ton more to think on with the issues of plastic consumption.

There is one last surprise project for Rhythm of The Home that is up today. It is hard to believe that the winter season is coming to an end, and that we are putting together the Spring edition over the next few weeks. We have such an amazing list of contributors, and it is just exciting to see this project grow.

As my children have learned to read, and are now spending more and more time in their own reading spaces, I thought that it would be fun to make them book covers to enjoy. I always loved covering my books in brown paper or fabric, and it was a special way to mark what I was reading at the time. These covers are also perfect for a personal journal or sketch book.

The covers are easy enough for the most beginner sewer, and are even perfect for an afternoon project with your children. We hope you enjoy!

Once the covers were made (the boys insisted that we make them for about 10 of their favorite books) I sat down to make a cup of chai tea, and put a few gluten free drop biscuits into the oven. As I was standing there, I was trying to come up with a few other recipes that might be good with the concentrate mixed into it. It took me a minutes to realize that I was staring right at it.

As soon as my biscuits came out of the oven, I drizzled the chai right over them, and it was the most luscious frosting I think that I have ever had. It melts over the biscuits, and provides the perfect blend of sweet and spice to the hearty bread.

The kids and I literally sat on the kitchen floor and ate the whole pan (there is only 5, it wasn’t that bad). Not one crumb was left when we were done, and I see a very regular treat in our household.

My next stop with this versatile chai? Tea bread and rice pudding.

I’ll keep you posted.

adirondackmama February 2, 2010 at 12:13 pm

The book cover looks terrific. No wonder the boys wanted more of them.

My mom used to make drop biscuits, I really loved them with strawberry shortcake. YUM.

Have a lovely day. I'm at work….BLAH.

jessica February 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I think for valentines day I am going to make that chai concentrate as a gift–with some chai scones too! Oh yum! I can't wait for tea bread and rice pudding!

Joy February 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Those biscuits/scones sound delicious!! And the book cover is adorable. :)

Andrea February 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I just popped over and go the chai recipe and as soon as I can I'm whipping some up and some scones YUMMY.

MamaShift February 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

That chai concentrate has a whole lotta white sugar in it. But it sounds good. I'm going to experiment with some natural sweeteners and see what I come up with.

eliz~ so wabi sabi February 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm

yum…those sound really delicious! and thanks for another inspiring sewing project.

Jen February 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Could you share your recipes for bread products? I am wheat-free and have done away with all bread products because the few wheat-free options I've tried are less than fabulous.

Kelly February 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Yum, those biscuits look fantastic! I'll have to try that.

I love the book cover project – how sweet!

Ivy February 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I can't wait to try that chai. And as an icing over biscuits too — yum!

Its_Lily February 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm

This sounds delicious and will be a great addition to the ever growing list of recipes I make with the kidlings. lol….I can see you sitting on the kitchen floor eating out of the pan. That sounds exactly like something we would do. Who said you need a plate and a table?

kerry February 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Okay, so I really need make some of this stuff! So many great uses. You are a wealth of ideas Heather!

Maeghan February 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love all the ideas! I made GF Blueberry scones yesterday for my in laws. I love scones and they have been so missed but not anymore!

Brooke February 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm

those look really yummy!! I am trying to finish a little something to submit for the magazine, but have yet to have complete inspiration…. hopefully it will come soon! :) Love the book covers, too!

AG Ambroult February 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm

****** running to the kitchen to find things to put the chai concentrate in/on ******* genius!

Merrie B February 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Love the book cover tutorial. I am an avid reader and this will be perfect to protect books in my purse when I lug them around with me.

CatieP February 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Those drop biscuits look amazing – what recipe do you use?

Valarie February 2, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Well if the scones are so good that they don't even make it to the table I guess I will have to make up a batch. Love the book cover design. I love the way Rhythm of the Home is so organic in that it isn't a static e-zine which goes out once but you use the medium to continue to update through the season. I love the little updates. Have a great day and many more scones.

Sarah February 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Beginner project…just the words I need to hear!

denise February 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm

have you posted the recipe for your biscuits? just curious. off to find the tea recipe : )

Suzanne February 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Oh yummy! What lovely book covers too. I am going to try putting that chai in my scones as soon as I feel better–tummy bug all around here…LOL!

Clare February 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Those chai scones look delicious!!

nicola February 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm

i love fabric book covers. those are sweet! they can make a simple spiral notebook a special and beautiful journal (with pockets!)
and you just made me really hungry….

deb February 2, 2010 at 10:26 pm

i love that idea… I printed off that Chai recipe the other day from Angry chicken blog, it looks delicious. Now I see you using it I must try it!!

Lisa Q February 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

my mom always made drop biscuits growing up…those look amazing…are there some spices in them? the chai recipe sounds good too…I used to be on a chai kick. may be on one again soon. and thanks for sharing the book cover …I can see those being a very special project.

Stephanie February 3, 2010 at 12:14 am

Isn't it so fun to add to recipe and it turn out so loved! Those biscuits sound great and eating them right from the pan… even better!

Leanne February 3, 2010 at 6:19 am

Oh all this talk of delicious chai over here has me starting to long just a little bit for tea weather….we have a while to go yet before indulging in hot drinks doesn't leave us in a lather of sweatiness…but still sometimes the desire for that loveliness just can't stop us. I know just what concentrate I will be trying when the days are shorter and the mornings crisp!

Jennifer February 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm

YUM! Do you have a recipe for the gluten free biscuits? I haven't had much luck with gluten free baking unless I buy a pre-packaged box at the grocery store. Love the book cover idea and I'm looking forward to the Spring edition of Rhythm of the Home.

cathleen February 3, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Chai scones??? Yum! Can't wait to try this as a glaze on my scones. And your book cover is quite cute!

Shivayamama February 4, 2010 at 4:26 am

Jennifer, for the drop biscuits, I use Pamela's all purpose mix, and the recipe is right on the back (three ingredients, SO easy). While most GF baked goods are better from scratch, I have found NOTHING that makes GF drop biscuits this way. I even have friends who are not GF who beg for them when they come over. They are just heavenly
________________________________________

geek+nerd February 4, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Mmmm, I love homemade chai, and I've been on a major scone kick lately!