A Little Love

February 15, 2010

Jacob’s hand embroidery for his Grammie

I am learning, and remembering I suppose, just how much children love holidays. My oldest son came bounding into my room this morning as early as he could get his eyes open to declare that I was his valentine, and to present me with a beautiful heart shaped card and a bag of chocolate. His face was lit up from ear to ear, and it was so nice to know that he held joy for the days that we set aside to be special.

I have never been much for Valentine’s Day, it just always seemed like an odd concept, but I remember how special my father made that day for my mom and I. A dozen red roses would always appear at our door, with a white one in the center for me. Oh how I loved that one white rose.

With that in mind, and with my children’s enthusiasm, I wanted to do something special to mark the day.

For the boys, I found small bears at an antique store that seemed like a perfect size, and a good fit for their personality. My kiddos never liked stuffed animals until recently, and now my youngest always has a small animal dangling from his arms.

While Bernadette and I were shopping at the fabric store on Saturday, I found a wonderful Valentine’s print that I fell in love with (I am hoping to stop in there tomorrow evening to find it on sale). I scooped up a few yards, and came home to create some special things.

A set of drawstring bags to hold the boys bears, that sat on my nightstand waiting to greet them.

A love satchel, to keep the letters, cards and photos that I have written to my husband in a special place. This pattern has been a favorite for me now for a few months, and it is a very warm way to treasure the few hand written letters we do still write.

And a pair of pajamas to snuggle in bed with. You all know how much I love my pajama pants, I pretty much live in them year round. I have used Heather Ross’ Weekend Sewing Pattern for the last five pairs, and they always turn out perfect.

A little something for everyone, in the same fabric, to mark another holiday passing with joy. My husband marked the occasion by taking us for a surprise breakfast out, and a ski adventure for the kiddos (I knit in the lodge, or snow shoe, while they all tackle the hills).

Elwood in a modern art bungee cord exhibit

Since having my little boys, I have been one lucky mama to be able to take them on many a date for some special time out. This past Friday, we finally got to the Denver Art Museum.

After last week’s projects with art interpretation, it was wonderful to just walk through this space to enjoy all the beauty it has to offer.

Elwood got a chance to sit before an actual Pissaro, and it was fun to see since it was a painting of Pissaro’s he used last week. Sometimes I think that an experience like this will result in a profound reaction from my children, as they witness the depth of beauty that being in a space like this can bring. Of course, the reality is that they are children, and I believe that the exact words that I got after he got up from his chair was “Mama, I have to pee”.

There was an exhibit at the museum that we found pretty amazing. It was a large room with white walls, and words all over them, and pillows made from words scattered on the floor.

It was an interesting exhibit because the words were in all different languages, and were placed there in response to questions that were asked to those visiting. While we were there, we were asked to write an answer to the question “What five words describe what home feels like to you”. I love interactive art, it feels amazing to be part of a creation that you can visibly see.

As for us, our five words that describe the feeling of home are
Family
Space
Safety
Warmth
Treasure

What would your five words be?

Happy Monday my friends

AdirondackMama February 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I really love Jacob's heart, I bet his Grammie really treasures it. It is so sweet how you made a satchel for Joel. Love letters are the best.

That museum trip was timed perfectly, huh. So neat that they got to see the artists work up close and personal.

Words for home…hmmm.

Today my words are
Warmth
Wood.
Quiet
Laughs
Hugs.

Annri February 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

That sounds like a wonderful & love-filled weekend!

*** Haven *** Warmth *** Cozy *** Play *** Be ***

Kelly February 15, 2010 at 1:32 pm

What a nice way to mark Valentine's day. And I agree, the kids seem to bring it out in us, to want to make it special.

I love that museum exhibit idea – home to me?

family
comfort
warmth
nourishing
joy

KimmieKusz February 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm

My five words for feeling home are:
~ Joy ~
~ Love ~
~ Laughter ~
~ Respect ~
~ Creativity ~
And a final note: longing for Spring!
Winter has taken tooo long, I am sick of the snow!
I really love the hearty fabric! And the satchel… Maybe I should make one for all the e-mails my hubbie send me, back in the days.

Nancy February 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Such a full post! I love the heart fabric–the pajama pants are my favorite. well, the love satchel is pretty special, too.
Was your son at all surprised to see the Pissaro? I wonder what he thought about it seeing it in person, I know he's young but it mus have been interesting nevertheless.

My five words for home are:
Family
Memories
Love
Nurturing
Creativity

and thank you for linking to our little snow tub! Not my own original idea, but memorable and fun nevertheless!

Jennifer February 15, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I adore your story about the white rose. I love that you're trying to create memories for your babes, too.

colorful
creative
warm
delicious
comforting

Maeghan February 15, 2010 at 3:10 pm

What a wonderful heart! My Dad would always put a small box of 4 chocolates on our beds. So special. Love the story of the rose.

Love
Together
Warm
Comfort
Hope

That sums up our 5 words.

eliz~ so wabi sabi February 15, 2010 at 3:13 pm

your love satchel is lovely. I really like that viney heart print. thanks for sharing Elwood's response to sitting in front of Picasso…I think he would have appreciated the 'realism'.

My five:
warm
colorful
content
creative
comfy

Gypsy Forest February 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Oh I love this. You've inspired me to find the art museum in New Orleans on our next trip to the city……. I guessed your favorite of the two fabrics in the first photo…… love it!
5 words…….

gratitude
creativity
openness
love
tribe

happy monday :)

sarah February 15, 2010 at 3:59 pm

The story of your dad and the roses is just heart warming. I love that. He must be a neat guy :)

Our five words:
warm
creative
clean
free
alive

kerry February 15, 2010 at 5:26 pm

comfort warmth love laughter peace
A wonderful post. So glad to hear that you made it to the museum. I am hoping to take my little guy on a museum date tomorrow. That fabric is very sweet!

Jennifer V. February 15, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I've been following your blog for awhile and love what you write about.

I'm ashamed to say I have yet to make it to the Denver Museum of Art. In my defense, I've only been here 2 years and there is so much to do and see. Now I'm inspired to go!

Here are our 5 words describing home (my boys helped me):
Quiet
Inviting
Love
Comfort
Playful

Have a great week!

Adrie February 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm

haha, Jacob's comment is hilarious! So lovely – I find the same with these holidays. Things that never made much sense for me are suddenly infused with life. Best to you.

annie February 15, 2010 at 8:08 pm

That all sounds truly lovely. I think my favorite is the trip to museum. My boys are three and a half and are just approaching the age where they will appreciate trips like that. The hardest part will be keeping quiet and not running amuck.

Lisa Q February 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm

love that fabric too…so great that you made something for everyone out of it….
my five words for today are:
warmth
love
togetherness
ease
comfort

have a wonderful week!

cathleen February 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Heather! Your posts are always so full of warmth and charm.

Haven
Cozy
Free
Hope
Bliss

Julia B February 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I love the photos from the museum!
Hmmm…Home

Warmth
Glow
Bubble
Laughter
Joy

Stephanie February 15, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Love your pj's, I need to make myself some pj's soon:) That word room at the museum seems like a lot of fun.

Home:

family
snuggles
warmth
creation

:)Lisa

Beth Curtin February 16, 2010 at 12:53 am

Elwood's comment after looking at Pissaro cracked me up! I'm going to try that pajama pattern…I gave my daughter Weekend Sewing and have been wondering how that pattern would be. Beth

Sachi February 16, 2010 at 1:26 am

That one white rose sounds so special. Makes me feel terrible for poo-pooing the holiday.

home=expansive+safe+around+settle+sink

Jenn February 16, 2010 at 1:28 am

I loved your waldorf handwork call (yes it took me till the wee hours of last night to get to listen to it :) )

Our 5 words: family, love, music, creativity, warmth

shari February 16, 2010 at 2:38 am

My words to describe our home would have to be…
comfort
warmth
cozy
fun
family
There would be many others but these are the ones that are sticking with me right now!
Thanks for the great post!

Jennifer February 16, 2010 at 3:38 am

I'm so glad that you have found a way to treasure valentine's day; I didn't think much of it myself until I had the boys. Now, I love to have a day set aside to make them feel special just because I love them.

I'm also glad that you guys finally made it to the art museum; I'm certain that although Elwood only told you he had to pee, he was making connections while sitting in front of that Pissaro. It's so wonderful to get to spend time with your kids in an art museum! You'd think we'd be there every week, what with me being a former art teacher and us living in town only minutes from two of them, but the boys are still at the age where they just want to run up and touch everything. There's no way I can handle them in a museum by myself, and Hubby's schedule just doesn't allow him to be there to help for that very often. To the future!

Jennifer February 16, 2010 at 3:41 am

Oh goodness! I can't follow directions can I? My five words are:
comfortable
love
safe
bustling
warm

kate February 16, 2010 at 3:07 am

oh, that love letter satchel is so very sweet. I'm working on a manila envelope sized one for some of our closest friends– while in college states away from each other, they wrote letters back and forth nearly everyday, and 15 years later, they still have them stuffed in shoe boxes. And that bit about your dad and the roses? I got a bit teary…

our five words:
warm
lively
planning
grove
kitchen

aarkus February 16, 2010 at 11:26 am

God
Family
Warmth
Laugh
Music

:-)

jessica February 16, 2010 at 12:16 pm

What a lovely Valentine's day! My five words would we: warmth, exhale, calm, restorative, hope.

Valarie February 17, 2010 at 3:10 am

What beautiful handwork everyone is doing. Love that valentine's day fabric! My five words for home would be:
joyful
musical
cooking
crafting
together
Have a good one.

Alyssa February 17, 2010 at 4:12 am

Oh! How I miss the Denver Art Museum!! (& the free Saturdays!)
5 words of home…… I think I'll have to cheat & use some phrases….
Love, hugs & kisses, chocolate chip cookies, night-night music (Jerry Barlow – denver local), books/reading

PS. I LOVE LOVE the heart fabric you used for the pj pants! I'm going to have to puruse the web for it.

Meryl February 18, 2010 at 4:18 am

Such sweet little bears in bags….and your kiddo's comment about the painting is too funny!

perches February 21, 2010 at 2:40 am

My earliest Valentines memory is a family memory that I still treasure. It was from around Kindergarten or first grade. My grandmother and I made love-note keepers for Valentines day (one for school, and one for she and I to keep for our notes to each other). We spent an afternoon decorating 2 empty tissue boxes with twists "flowers" of colored paper: punching holes in the box top & sides with a sharp pencil; stuffing the twists into each hole; fluffling the twist "petals" outside; lining the inside with a scrap of pretty fabric. I loved those boxes – so proud to take one to school, so delighted to keep one with my Granny. Thank you for bringing this memory back today :)

5 words for home: family, love, cherish, nurture, faith