Restorative Yoga for Children

January 6, 2010

I did my very first yoga pose when I was 15 years old. I remember it so clearly, because I felt silly doing a pose called “Downward Facing Dog”. I had picked up a copy of Yoga Journal in the grocery store, and it looked pretty interesting. I had always thought that people who practiced yoga just stood on their heads for long periods of time, or sat in meditation for hours on end (for the record, I can stand on my head for a wicked amount of time, even in the Sand Dunes, after a good Margarita. Just saying).

I have been a yoga therapist for over ten years now, and I have spent most of that time working with chronic and terminally ill patients to try and improve their quality of life, and their experience of pain. I have also been lucky enough to work with young children through yoga and storytelling, and I am a very strong advocate of trying to incorporate yoga into the school system to try and help reduce the over stimulation that can occur in our ever growing classrooms.

Now as the mom of two young children, my yoga has returned to the beginning, to a place where my students are two cute little things who arrive on their mats with sleep in their eyes, and dreams on their minds.

Our yoga can look very different day to day, depending on moods and needs, but if there is one thing that remains a constant, it is that restorative yoga always has a calming effect on busy little minds, and hectic filled days.

I use restorative yoga with my kiddos mainly before bed. If I have not mentioned it in the past, my oldest struggles with sleeping problems, and we try all that we can to create a warm and calm atmosphere prior to sleep. Restorative yoga gives the children an opportunity to quiet their minds, and relax their bodies, and take a moment before sleep to simply be in the moment.

Here is a small snippet of three poses that are a part of our daily practice.

Child’s Pose. The most basic and powerful resting pose for adults and children alike. Using a cushion (a sofa cushion or hard pillow will work fine here), and a folded blanket, have your child begin with their knees up against the long edge of the cushion.

Have them sit back onto their heels, and then bend forward to rest their head on the blanket (younger children may only need the cushion).
They can place their hands on either side of the cushion, or they can rest them down near their legs.

While they are resting, place both hands on their back, as above, and ask them to take a deep breath in. On the exhale, slightly apply pressure, and begin to move your hands in opposite directions, allowing a nice stretch of their spine. If your child seems restless, place your hand firmly in the middle of their back and apply a slight pressure.

During my session with Jacob yesterday morning, Elwood crawled up into bed and put his cushions exactly as his big brothers. It was a good reminder to me that allowing children to practice in a space that feels comfortable is key. If that is a bed and their pillows, than that is where it should be on that day.

This next restorative pose allows your child to relax their back fully, while also experiencing a slight back bend, which opens the chest and allows for deeper breathing. With your cushion and blanket still in place, have your child turn over and place the small of his back against the cushion. Lay your child back, making sure that their head is on the blanket, and their shoulders on the cushion. Place an eye pillow over their eyes, and a rice pack, or heavy pillow on their feet (this is a really important step, because it helps to ground your child, and reduces the need for them to squirm around)

Elwood managed to create his own space pretty well here. It was good to see that he was comfotable enough in his practice to create it on his own.

Legs up the wall is a must for helping little ones transition towards sleep. Lay a mat or thick blanket up against your wall, and have your child sit sideways, flush up against the wall. Have them swing their legs up and over, and lay down. Place a pillow under their heads, and have them extend their arms out to the side. If you feel that your child becomes restless in this pose, place the same rice pack as above on their tummies, or pelvic bone, and have them breathe deeply.

This is a pose where many children will actually fall asleep. It promotes a deep sense of relaxation, and it is one of the better poses to get children to relax completely into themselves. During our yoga time, the only thing that I really focus on is getting the boys to relax, and to do a lot of deep breathing. I am a huge believer in the power of our breath, and learning to control it for relaxation has had a huge impact for my children.

Soaking children’s feet in warm water for about five minutes after your yoga (or anytime actually) is so powerful, that I have often found one of my children asleep sitting up, feet fully immersed. On nights that the boys do not get a bath, they always get a foot soak. There is nothing fancy here, just some warm water, a plastic tub, a little lavender oil if on hand, and a quiet space. After about 30 seconds or so, you will start to see your child visibly relax, and fall into a much calmer state.

This is just a small look at some of those poses that I have found have the best result for us. Each child is different, and it is fun to explore what works for them. I love yoga because it uses the body to heal the body. It just feels good to know that my kids have the ability to calm and relax themselves, I just have to show them how.

Some of my favorite yoga resources
Yoga Journal
Judith Lasater
Erin Goodman
Storytime Yoga

Fiona January 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

That's a wonderful post! Thank you so much for the feet in warm water tip: I'm trying that on my two tomorrow! My 5 yr old has a genetic condition that renders him with some autistic tendencies and symptoms of ADHD. But he loves yoga, which he started learning at preschool last year. This post has inspired me to follow this up with practice at home and maybe a class for him. Thanks so much.

Suzanne January 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I loved this post–I wish you lived near me:-) I took a yoga class specifically for PTSD and it helped me incredibly!

Gypsy Forest January 6, 2010 at 2:13 pm

This one is getting bookmarked….. I have always wanted to do yoga more with my kids…. and get back on track with it myself. This is PERFECT! Especially to begin as a night time ritual with my youngest two. Thank you for the fabulous idea :)

Earth Mama January 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Oh thank you!! I always forget about these simple tools to calm children. I am definitely going to have to use this asap on my 3 1/2 boy…he's a maniac in the evenings. We have a really difficult time getting him to just relax.

:)Lisa

Mary YDP January 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Heather, this is wonderful, I lead my children through guided meditation nightly. We call them adventures. One of these poses would aid in that, wouldn't that be lovely to lay in child's pose for our meditation practice?

I am inspired to make some rice packs too!

Linda January 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm

What a stunning post Heather, thank you so much for this, my little ones battle to fall asleep at night and I am going to try this tonight and see how it goes. I used to do yoga a few years ago and I really miss it…
Warmly
Linda

Meg Evans January 6, 2010 at 2:58 pm

This is a fantastic post. I haven't done any yoga in about a year, and I miss it so. One of my yoga books is usually in one of the kids' rooms–they like to imitate the stick figure drawings. But doing it before bedtime is such a great idea. My middle child would really benefit from some restorative poses, I think. She's my night owl with an overactive imagination, so slowing down and calming the mind would probably be a great thing for her (the other two just go out like flipping a switch).

Ivy January 6, 2010 at 3:00 pm

What a great post and timely too — as I'm taking my first real yoga class tonight. My kids have a DVD called Yoga for the Kid in all of Us that we really like a lot, but it actually hypes them up because it is fun and funny. I will have to try these poses with them (they'll get a kick out of doing the child's pose in a way that doesn't involve laying on Momma's back.

Mindy Bell January 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for this Heather! This would work into our evening rhythms soo nicely. xo m

samthehamsmom January 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Heather my dear, you are a true wealth of knowledge~I am going to try some of those poses myself with Sam tonight. Mommy needs to create some calm as well. I am currently editing a post about the same topic with pics taken this am. Guess centering is in the air today, or on the web. Thanks again for sharing, and BTW…those boys are so adorable! Laura

larissa January 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Great idea to do this just before bed time. my kiddos often do – and love – the yoga for kids videos. I never really thought of incorporating yoga into our nighttime routine but I know it will help abigail calm down enough to fall asleep without getting up. i'm off to make some rice pillows.

maeghan January 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I have often wondered about this for Cameron. Mr. Miller is definately going to be interested.

perches January 6, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful! I've been doing yoga since I was 12 or 13 and love, love, love it. All of my Yoga Journal videos are on video tapes, so it's a good reason to keep an old VCR around… I've just started getting back into weekly practice again after 12 months of very occasional yoga. Our hospital offered a fun class for pregnant mamas, too, but once Bebe arrived so many things went on pause for a while. Thanks for the 2nd pose. and the foot bath examples!

Jessica January 6, 2010 at 4:10 pm

great post! have you ever done any work with biofeedback?

Brooke January 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm

The question that comes to mind is… what don' t you do?! Just kidding! You are truly amazing and your boys are oh so lucky to have you as their mama! And we are lucky to get to hear about your ideas, and in turn see if they work on our kids! Thank you… I have been doing yoga at least once a week during this pregnancy and I think it has helped keeping my back from getting too sore. I never thought to use it to help the kids sleep. We have been struggling with this for a little bit now (since putting them in the same room) and this might just be the ticket… at least worth trying! Love the idea of foot bath, as my kids don't take a bath every night, so this might be something we can try too.

Thanks. And thank you for checking out my space every once in a while… it makes me feel special!
oh, and love the beautiful yarn gifted to your friend, and blogged about yesterday(?) Just beautiful colors!

Julia January 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Eben and I used to do yoga a few times a week together in the morning. You make me actually miss that time now that he is in school in the morning when I do my sun salutations.

Tonight though, I think you have given me a new bedtime calmer. We usually take a bubble bath together to mellow out, but this looks even more up his alley.

Your patients are lucky to have you.

Kayla January 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Hi, Heather! I am striving to make more time for yoga and meditation. I got a subscription to Yoga Journal and savor every page. I teach yoga to the kindergarteners at the childcare center where I work. They love it and their teacher says they are often better behaved afterward. I have Storytime Yoga, but I haven't had time to study it and come up with a program around it.

I used to do yoga with dear daughter every day when I worked half time. Now that I am full time it doesn't happen very often. I feel she needs it. I hope I can figure it out again soon.

Its_Lily January 6, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Wonderful! I know a certain 25 y/o son who still struggles with sleep issues. I have a feeling these will work on him as well.

eliz~ so wabi sabi January 6, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Heather, what a positively helpful post. Ever since Jude was born I wanted to integrate yoga into our lives. I do a little yoga myself along with a lot of Qigong, but I haven't really gotten Jude into these practices. Your thoughtful and thorough instructions will give me the confidence to take a step with Jude to introduce yoga into his life. thank you very much! your work with chronically and terminally ill patients is admirable…well, I've said it before, but I don't know how you do all you but I really appreciate it all!
blessings~
Elizabeth

Valarie January 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I feel so relaxed after reading this post. This gets me right in the heart. On Jan 1 the kids and I got this DVD called morning yoga. None of us have ever done yoga in our lives but we just love it. We wake up an hour earlier to start our day off like this. This is such an informative post. I didn't realize we could use cushions and so starting tomorrow everyone will bring their own pillows. Thanks for this great info. Have a great day.

Suzanne January 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm

your post is singing to me! c and i took family yoga together in are old neighbourhood and i've been wanting to include yoga in both of our lives since. plus i love the foot soak. awesome awesome awesome idea!

Andrea January 6, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Wonderful post! As a strong advocate of yoga, I think it is so great to teach it to our children. Wish I had known the benefits when my girls were young. It's never too late however so I am on a mission with my friends and family now.

Sarah Jane January 6, 2010 at 7:13 pm

This is awesome, Heather. I feel grounded just looking at them with the heavy bags on. What a gift to teach your children these things. I love the idea of the foot bath, too. Sometimes there just isn't time or necessity for a bath. Wish you were closer so you could teach my kids.

Julia B. January 6, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Thank you Heather, as always, for sharing such wonderful parenting advice. I truly admire you! Now if only I could get my dollies to listen to me when I try to sit down for yoga time…I am going to try this with them and I will let you know how it goes!

Thenotsotiredmummy January 6, 2010 at 7:34 pm

what a lovely post, your children are beautiful, my two do a little yoga but want to do more as the 2 year old is round shouldered, thank you for sharing, how do you stop yourself from kissing their cheeks when they look so cosy like that xx

Heather January 6, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Thank you for posting this and the resources! This will help so much. I'm needing to start yoga and some relaxation techniques to de-stress! This is great :)

C. Reznick PhD January 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Love this article and will repost on FB and Twitter. Working with kids as a psychologist and specializing in imagery, I do the "meditation" part but not the yoga – and now I'm inspired. Would love to connect more. You can go to ” target=”_blank”>http://www.ImageryForKids.com as a start for info on my meditation CDs and new book The Power of Your Child's Imagination: How to Transform Stress and Anxiety into Joy and Success (Perigee/Penguin, 2009). Email DrReznick@ImageryForKids.com. Blessings for such wonderful work!

Nicola @ Which Name? January 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm

thank you. i know very little about yoga. i did it while pregnant with my older child and it was fabulous as a natural birthing aid. i think restfulness of mind and body is something i need to achieve this year, for health reasons, as well as others. thank you.

jess January 6, 2010 at 7:48 pm

This is really fascinating to me. I am not at all experienced with yoga, but I think I would enjoy learning along with my little one. Thank you, this is something I hadn't even considered!

donrahi January 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm

looks so nice. everyone in our family is into yoga, especially me. our two year old does yoga at karmakids yoga studio in ny. we will need to put some of your poses into practice around bedtime. thanks for this. ^_^

shannon January 6, 2010 at 8:02 pm

this is about the yummiest thing i've seen in a long time. i can just sense how relaxed they are. what a gift you are giving your children. i wasn't introduced to yoga until college and i'll never forget my first class or first teacher. my little boy who isn't even two asks "where'd the yoga mat go?" if i put it away. in fact, we are signing up for a new mommy/toddler yoga session this winter. he started going with me when he was just 4-weeks old! i'm so happy to see you are sharing the powerful benefits of restorative yoga. good reminders for myself as well. thank you!

Andrea January 6, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Mmm…I feel more relaxed already. Last time I tried yoga I had one kid climbing on my back (plank pose) one crawling under me (downward dog) and one smacking my rear (three-legged dog)…next time I'll try these poses to calm THEM down before I try my own!

Kelly January 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm

This is an awesome post – thank you so much for sharing. I would love more like this in the future if you are up for it.

Chelsea January 6, 2010 at 9:05 pm

what a beautiful ritual. I've struggled a lot with helping Pan to relax and be still (changing / dressing him is a nightmare, and I've never been able to truly give him a massage because he can't bare to be still!) and this might be a good way (eventually) to help him participate in relaxing… +Chelsea

Julia January 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I meant to ask….did you make the rice pack?

If so, how did you do it? I want one. For me.

Courtney January 6, 2010 at 11:13 pm

To say that I got teary-eyed from this post is well – maybe silly – but I have wanted this for our family before I had a family and it struck such a chord. This weekend my husband and I wondered how we could bring back the rythmn of our home. While the love and creativity and energy is abounding – the calm is not. Thank you for sharing all that you share. I don't always comment but I do love every post. This post is just what I needed.

Michele January 6, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Thank you Thank you for this post! We have been having some bedtime issues as of lately and this is a wonderful way to get the kiddos to wind down. I just stitched up some heart shaped lavender rice packs last night to help them at bedtime & tonight we will try these poses too! Thanks so much!

Stephanie January 6, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I felt a sense of calming just reading through your post and seeing the photos. That's so great that you incorporate yoga into your childrens routine and help them to calm down before bed. I can imagine the difference it makes!

quirkygranolagirl January 7, 2010 at 12:28 am

The look of serenity on the faces of your boys really speaks for itself. Yoga is just amazing.

Kathy@Oiko January 7, 2010 at 12:49 am

I have only just subscribed to your blog and oh my, I love it! My litle boy is only 10 months old but I will be sure to do yoga and foot baths with him when he gets older. Thank you for posting such wonderful photographs, I am very inspired.

Joy January 7, 2010 at 1:03 am

Thank you so much for posting this! My youngest has been having a tough time with sleep lately (more in the middle of the night than falling asleep). Although this pattern has only been going for 3 days now and he did just have a wicked cold and start a new school days later, I'm already at my wits end. I'll definitely try to incorporate some of your recommendations into his evening (he's already down now with chamomile tea in his belly and aromatherapy on his pillow) starting tomorrow!

angela January 6, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I love this. I think that maybe I could alternate bath night with yoga night. Thank you so muc for sharing. Do you have any emergency poses that you use to bring a child down from a melt down or stress.

molly | mommycoddle January 7, 2010 at 2:26 am

thank you for this wonderful post. for me, it simplifies something that I'd really like to incorporate into my girls' lives. especially for one who is a constant worrier and could use some calming strategies. i think we'll try tomorrow….

GinnySheller January 7, 2010 at 2:28 am

Heather, this is such a gift. My oldest has sleep issues as well. I will be revisiting this post in the coming weeks and plan to try and incorporate some yoga into our evening routine. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I appreciate it.

Jennifer January 7, 2010 at 3:29 am

I LOVE yoga! I so love how relaxing it is and how it aligns us and how prayerful it is for me. I've been sharing it with our boys from the very beginning, and my own personal practice is almost never done alone anymore. I've been wanting to do a "family yoga" post for a while, but can't seem to get the photos. "Downward Baby" ๐Ÿ˜‰ is a regular pose around here. Of course, with the ages of my boys, yoga around here frequently ends with wrestling and crawling on each other, but we'll learn over time how to keep to our personal space when needed.

I also wanted to tell you that my oldest has the exact same big brother shirt, and he wore it today!

renee January 7, 2010 at 4:18 am

What a blessing this must be for your boys! We always talk about having a family yoga time, thank you for the gentle encouragement.

Ellen January 7, 2010 at 4:27 am

So lovely and clear. I feel relaxed just looking at them. Thank you for sharing something so immediately doable. I spend so much time reading and researching, and it pays off eventually, but to see something so useful for now is great. Since my toddler isn't quite at this point (and boy could she use it) maybe I'll go try it on my husband. Or myself!!!

marina January 7, 2010 at 6:34 am

Thank you so much for this post! I know my son enjoys the yoga that he does at preschool, but I would love to have a practice that we can do at home together!

Pip January 7, 2010 at 11:17 am

Thank you for sharing such a wonder and thoroughly interesting post. I felt so relaxed just looking at the great photos. I will definitely be trying these out with my son.

kate January 7, 2010 at 4:43 am

How have I not been doing restorative yoga with my kids??? Thank you, more than I can say, Heather– for the reminder, the suggestions, and the wonderful foot bath idea (which gives me chills, because the washing of our children's feet has such beautiful spiritual implications). My Noah has sleep issues too– and we do centering breaths before he goes to bed, but I think a blanket, a bolster, and some foot soaking would really help get his mind to slow down and prepare himself for sleep.

By the way, what a gift you are, to share yoga with people who need it most.

erin January 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

oh heather. thank you so much for this. your words and images are just beautiful.

and thank you so very much for including me in your list of resources. i am honored.

love + light…

~erin

kaylovesvintage January 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

wonderful…my little monster loves yoag with mum

Sadie Fox Metter January 7, 2010 at 1:16 pm

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I am moving my 2 yr old out of our family bed and into "the big girl room" with her 4 yr old sister (who sleeps about 1 hr there every night). I am looking for a new bedtime routine that can encourage peace of mind and sleep for both of them. We have a rough few weeks ahead with tears and anger. I am need some peaceful steps to guide the process. Wonderful post!

Michele January 7, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Just to let you know.. we had the most peaceful bedtime last night!! I used to do something like this when my kiddos were babes but somehow it got pushed aside as they got older. We will now start our routine a little earlier each night so we can have this special time together. Thanks again for this post and for reminding me to teach my kids how to slow down. They all woke up happier and each said they loved the bedtime yoga!!

Kirsten January 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Fantastic post! So loving and thoughtful. Tried it out with my 2 last night. The 7 year old loved loved the child's pose with rub (though she adores rubs/massages of all kinds) and she did fall asleep so easily (and early!). The 2 year old, who refuses to go to sleep at night until much later than I, thought it was fun though didn't totally get into it — however, after some more dancing/jumping/playing, she did, miraculously, go to sleep earlier than usual… Thank you!!

Tonya January 7, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Heather,
Thank you for showing these poses. We have a box of yoga card for kids. We take out a few to do together every so often and it just makes us all feel so much more alive after. (For some reason as well, our almost two year old loves looking at all the cards – checking out the poses I guess.)
Warm wishes.

5orangepotatoes January 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Heather, we are so much alike! Before the girls, I taught elem. school (k&2nd graders). I did yoga with them all of the time. They LOVED it and looked forward to it everyday. I did it with my preschool classes too. The yoga centered them so much and left them feeling so refreshed. I love the positions you shared in this post and will be doing them with the girls. The foot bath before bed is wonderful! Fauna also has sleep problems and has a lot of trouble falling asleep. Going to try the footbath tonight…….

Hannah January 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm

What a wonderful post to share, Heather. I am hoping to do this with my son in the future. We are working to get over some other hurdles to do with his (autistic) sensory difficulties but I think he will gain a lot from yoga when he's ready.

denise January 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

oh. wow. this is awesome. I love how peaceful they look.

Brooke January 8, 2010 at 12:48 am

So relaxing: I could actually smell lavender as I read your post. Then you mentioned lavender oil at the end! I grow lavender in my garden and keep a drawstring bag of it dry, in my pillowcase and it is so relaxing! I also love the idea of a rice bag on the feet to ground. Hmmm. I might have to sew one. With lavender in it of course!

recycled+revamped January 8, 2010 at 1:10 am

This is great! I am looking forward to using these positions when my little guy is a bit older. The foot soak is a great idea too, for me and for him.

darlene January 8, 2010 at 5:31 am

Too cool and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Jane in BC January 8, 2010 at 5:32 am

Wow, what beautiful pictures of a beautiful practice. Thank you so much for sharing this. It's made me feel more relaxed just reading it.

amanda January 8, 2010 at 6:20 am

thank you so much for posting this. this is so inspiring for my husband and i and our little ones. really, thanks for sharing this. i feel better just reading it.

Teri January 9, 2010 at 1:24 am

This is so wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share this. I have a very energetic 2 year old daughter who does not really ever lay still on her back. I bet framing it within the context of yoga (which she's seen mom do) will help!

Jennifer W. January 9, 2010 at 2:08 am

Thank you for this post! I have also found that yoga helps both of my little ones, who also have some trouble with sleep. I haven't used pillows on their eyes or feet and I will definitely be trying that now.

Gina January 10, 2010 at 12:17 am

Wonderful ideas, thanks! The third picture down is my personal favorite.

Imene January 9, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I started taking a yoga class while pregnant with Samy. At first it was hard to concentrate and not giggle during the Ayum part. I have since been a believer in it's calming virtues. I had to stop lately because Layla will scream at the drop off but I'm sure that is a temporary thing.
I wish I was a teacher and teach it to the boys.

rachel January 10, 2010 at 4:58 am

Wow! I like the restoration twist on the kids yoga. This is something new to try with my 6 yr old son who tends to get a bit crazy at bedtime. I also liked one of the comments about taking a meditation (adventure). By the way, what cute photos. Thank you.

Jen Gray January 10, 2010 at 5:08 am

I loved this post! I am a teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. When I was a classroom teacher I did yoga daily with my students. It was fantastic for them. Many of them had other special needs, sensory integration issues and developmental delays. I had a parent who publicly criticized me for doing yoga. She couldn't believe I would do yoga with children with special needs. I continued regardless and now I have a special needs daughter of my own. I haven't done yoga with her yet…this post has inspired me! Thank you for sharing it. :)

Emmalina January 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

This post has had a profound affect on my thinking and generated some great new ideas for my family. Thank you for being a part of my life this weekend. : )

aja January 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm

This is a wonderful post! Kudos to you for integrating yoga and all its excellent benefits it into your children's lives. Its amazing how these simple poses and breath work are so powerful and positive.

Shivayamama January 11, 2010 at 3:24 am

Thank you Rachel. The comments on this opst have really brought up so many neat new topics to explore. It has been a fun time to read all of them. I have really found that a few simple yoga poses, and a bath or foot soak, and a soft story have really helped my kids to get bed easier. I hope that it will be a poitive practive for you and your family. Warmly, Heather

Shivayamama January 11, 2010 at 3:31 am

Thank you Gina, I am glad that you enjoyed it. The pictures were actually super fun to take (although, a bit strange since we are supposed to be peaceful and quiet :)
Warmly, Heather

Lisa/Rosamund January 12, 2010 at 3:18 pm

How wonderful! I wish I knew about yoga when my boys were little. Now, as teens, they sometimes join me for poses in our living room. I would love for them to come to class. I just really believe in the power of yoga. I find your mention of being a yoga therapist fascinating. I never knew there was such a thing until reading this post. Thanks so much for sharing this!

MamaShift January 12, 2010 at 11:21 am

Hello,

Since I read this post this morning I have not stopped thinking about your job. I am quite close to returning to France and doing a one-year training (paid for by French gov't) in caring for elderly/handicapped. However, I am a cancer survivor, and where I live I am working on a palliative care project. I am definitely inspired to do end-of-life care. And then I read those lines about your work and I can't get it out of mind. Could you email me and tell me about what kind of training you did to do what you do? I've found a program in France — I'm sure it's not cheap — and it's a two-year training.

Shivayamama January 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Thank you Lisa, I think that yoga for children is really helpful, and I love what it has done for our nights. There is a pretty large group of yogatherapists out there, which I really didn't know about until just a few years ago. It it Ithe best work that I have ever done, and I feel pretty priviledged. Have a wonderful day

Nina January 14, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thank you!!! EXACTLY what we needed here… Thanks so much!

Gerri January 15, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Wow, I want to bless my son in this way. Thank You!!!

Nicole January 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Thank you! I love all of the pictures, which helps me visualize how it could be for my child!

silvia February 6, 2010 at 3:00 pm

So beautiful, I've just met your blog and already love it.
I've mentioned this post in one of mine:
i'll go on reading.. Thanx!

Taira January 26, 2011 at 6:25 am

Thank you Heather. We have just come across this and will definately be putting it inot practice today!

Shivayamama January 26, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I am so glad, it really is a wonderful practice for children (and adults too).
________________________________________

trista February 16, 2013 at 7:47 am

My daughter is 6 and has ADHD I was wondering if there was a type of yoga that could help her to focus and relax and learn to control herself better?? We don’t agree with putting kids on drugs and would much rather find natural ways of coping and and learning to manage this “disorder”. Thank you for any information you have.

rebecca at thisfineday June 4, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I’m so happy I found this. What a great way to unwind and find some peace in our over stimulating days. Thanks so much for the post!

yoga poses for runners May 25, 2014 at 12:33 pm

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for yoga poses for anxiety

Marcela N December 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Hi! What age did you start doing this? My boy is 1y 4months old.

Heather January 13, 2015 at 11:26 am

I started doing yoga with my kids as soon as gave birth to each of them. They were on the mat with me very young, and once they started showing interest, we just went from there. It is a pretty organic, natural process, nothing forced.

Abbie September 23, 2015 at 1:44 pm

How long do you actually recommend staying in the poses? I have restless boys so I need to have an idea of what’s ideal.