Easing the Pain

January 7, 2010

I suppose that it is the time of year for nasty head colds and achy bodies, so I guess that I shouldn’t be too surprised that it finally caught up to me.

I woke up yesterday with the world’s largest sinus migraine, and moved through my day with a foggy head (allergy meds make me a little loopy, but they take the pain away), and just a touch of self-pity.

I learned long ago that almost any ailment can be cured with a fresh hot pastry and a warm cup of tea, so it was off to the kitchen I went. The only thing that I had in my fridge worth baking with was 4 green apples and a box of puff pastry.

OK, I think that we can work with that.

Sauteed Spiced Apple Turnovers

Peel, core and chop 4-6 apples (I prefer Granny Smith, but whatever you have will do just fine). In a heavy bottom pan, such as cast iron, add a 1/2 of a stick of butter and a 1/2 cup of brown sugar (this can be done to taste as well, so if you have sweeter apples, you will need to adjust the amount of sugar) and melt the butter. Add the apples, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg and an 1/8th of a teaspoon of cloves. Cook on med-low heat until the apples begin to brown and the butter and sugar just slightly start to caramelize. You want your apples to still have some shape, because they will be cooking in the oven as well. Remove from pan and cool

While you are preparing your apples, remove your puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw. Roll your pastry out to form a 12″ square, and then cut into either 4″x4″, or 6″x4″ squares. Place heaping spoonfuls of your apples onto one square, and brush the sides with an egg wash (lightly beaten egg). Place a second square on top, and seal all sides.
Place all of the apple turnovers onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and return to the freezer for 20 minutes. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Remove apple turnovers from freezer, brush with egg wash, place in oven, and cook for 10-15 minutes until light and golden brown. Remove, and allow to cool for about 6-7 minutes. Top with powdered sugar.

And Enjoy

There is nothing fun about a sinus infection, but that doesn’t mean that a good pastry won’t help to ease the pain.

For those who eat gluten free, I use a pie crust from any recipe and roll it out to be very thin, and then cut into circles. Place a heaping spoonful of apples onto one side of the circle, fold the other side over, and seal with your egg wash to form a turnover. Score your edges with a fork, brush with egg wash, and cut three slits into the top of the turnover. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.

bright and blithe January 7, 2010 at 1:18 pm

You managed to keep your wits about you enough to make breakfast from scratch? I'm certain I would have stayed curled up in a ball waiting to be rescued. But I must admit, this recipe looks like it would cure just about anything.

Beth January 7, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Heather, this looks so amazing! And I can't believe you made it while feeling bad. I hope today is better! Beth

Lise January 7, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Now, that's my kind of medicine!

Gypsy Forest January 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm

yum!

Andrea January 7, 2010 at 2:28 pm

That looks wonderful although I'm quite sure if I were sick, the most I could muster up would be a cup of tea. Hope you feel better soon.

Julia January 7, 2010 at 2:44 pm

OK, you made THAT when you were feeling ill.

I can barely pour myself a glass of water.

I hope that you are feeling better today. How could you not after breaking into that yummy apple goodness, right?!

Francesca January 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I think that delicious looking apple pastry must surely heal any pain, and I really hope it did the trick (it'd be 4 apples or so a day, after all:)). Thanks Heather for linking to my post.

Linda January 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Feel better soon Heather, thanks for sharing another wonderful recipe:)
Warmly
Linda

eliz~ so wabi sabi January 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I hope that you are feeling better. Sending good healing energy your way!
blessings~

Stephanie January 7, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Yep, this sounds just like you. Most people would stay in bed, wrap their head with an ace bandage, or just have themselves a glass of water. but you make pastry. I remember you being in labor with Jacob, and making like 4 dozen zucchini muffins so that Joel would have something to eat.

Ivy January 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Oh, my. I seem to have your headache today. It's the kind that sits behind my right eye and attacks the sinuses while thumbing a bass at my temples. But now that I've read what to do to help heal this beast, I might just have to move into the kitchen. Thanks.

Joy January 7, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. That does look like the ultimate comfort food. :)

larissa January 7, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Those look so good – my mouth is watering! and that powdered sugar is the perfect finish. I hope you're feeling better today.

Maeghan January 7, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I have had a headache the last few days myself. I am crossing my fingers that it is just the weather. I know those lovelies would be just yummy!

Meryl January 7, 2010 at 4:29 pm

An apple a day, right? :) Hope you're feeling better soon!

Nicola @ Which Name? January 7, 2010 at 4:40 pm

oh my gosh! yum! are you serious, that that kind of pain is aided by a sweet pastry and tea? honestly, i laughed and smiled thinking "that would cure all that ails you!" but truly, a bit of food, sugar, and caffeine really can help with a few ailments in my opinion!

perches January 7, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I hope you're feeling better. Your pastries look delicious, definitely good medicine for most woes.

Its_Lily January 7, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Hey! Why didn't anyone tell me that's the recipe for curing the common cold? And here I've been sipping tea and toast all these years? Well, no more…..*grins*

Kelly January 7, 2010 at 5:02 pm

yum, yum! this looks fantastic.

I hope you feel better soon.

Donna Ashton January 7, 2010 at 6:01 pm

I know how you feel, as I had it on Monday and Tuesday… Funny, all I could think about was making chocolate scones! If my head had not hurt so much, and if I didn't have to make the three kings cake, I would have made them… hmmm.. I think I hear my rolling pin calling me… LOL!

Chelsea January 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

the last thing I think to do when I have a migraine is to get busy in the kitchen… maybe this is the new cure and I'm just going about it all wrong… :) +Chelsea

Mary YDP January 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Coffee and pastry does cure all my ills, but I'm with Chelsea… I'm not usually in the kitchen with a migraine. I should try it too (:

Jennifer January 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I do so hope that you are feeling much better today; I can't believe you could get it together enough to make a pastry, let alone take photos whilst doing so and write a blog about it! Impressive! I usually just mope around and feel sorry for my self, but I'm guessing a simple pastry might be a better solution.

Hannah January 7, 2010 at 7:22 pm

"almost any ailment can be cured with a fresh hot pastry and a warm cup of tea" – a girl after my own heart!
Hope you're feeling better soon x

Lisa Q January 7, 2010 at 9:12 pm

hope you're feeling better soon….sinus headaches stink. my honey is fighting one now. I have puff pastry in the freezer and apples in the fridge. guess what we'll be having for dessert tonight? thanks!

Suzanne January 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I do hope you feel better! I must say the pastry with tea would help me also:-)

kendra January 7, 2010 at 11:03 pm

tried horseradish for sinus stuff? it worked wonders on our last sinus cold! mix grated horseradish, honey and apple cider vinegar to taste and enjoy on crackers, meat, whatever you eat! our nd also prescribes horseradish tincture for sinuses!

Stephanie January 8, 2010 at 12:32 am

I hope your migraine is long gone by now, and the apple pastries are still around for enjoying!

Valarie January 8, 2010 at 12:46 am

I hope you are feeling better. I know this lovely pastry made me feel better. There is truly nothing better than pastry and tea. Thanks for sharing this really great treat.

Jodi January 8, 2010 at 2:29 am

Wow, does that ever look delicious. I could inhale one of those. I hope you're feeling better.

:: Carrie January 7, 2010 at 8:32 pm

You and me both Heather! This morning I woke up at 2:30 am. Yup thats right only 4 hours of sleep. I couldn't go back to sleep, my head was so stuffed & I was miserable. So I too started to bake. Tomorrow is Jacob's birthday (he's turning 5), so I started in on his requested cheesecake for the celebration. Next I need to go bake some cupcakes for his party on Saturday. He's decided to take the family cross country skiing tomorrow for his big day, so I better get everything done today.
I'd REALLY like to eat one of your turnovers and watch a movie in bed. I brought home the movie Jane Ayer from the library. I thought that looked like a good snowy day watch.
I'll eat a cupcake for you if you eat one of those turnovers for me?

Nina - Tabiboo January 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm

That's the best kind of soothing comfort food ::

I've had a headache for three days now and the only relief I'm finding is from inhaling lavender oil, it doesn't take the pain away, but certainly helps sooth the nausea of it – knowing my luck it's weather related and all this snow were having in the UK is the cause!!

I do hope you feel better soon,

take care,

Nina x

cathleen January 7, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Hope you stay warm and cozy and get better quickly, Heather. Hope you have a couple of quilts to cuddle under. Your turnovers sound quite delicious. I think tea cures everything! Especially comforting is just in the preparing of tea. I don't know why but it totally relaxes me.

Camille Dumas Davis January 8, 2010 at 3:48 am

Thanks for being such a great person and sharing your knowledge.
Your friend, Camille

kristen January 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Can't wait to make this! Hope you are feeling better.

Shivayamama January 8, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Thank you Kyndale. This thing is really kicking me hard, but I am hoping to get it under control soon :)
Have a great weekend

Heather

Kyndale January 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I hope you're feeling better Heather!! xo Kyndale

woolies January 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm

yum. delish. This will be on our table this weekend! I do hope you've recovered! (I hate being sick !!!!)