So Much To Enjoy

December 28, 2009

When you come to a space like this every day, it seems strange to take a step back and a few days break. I really enjoyed the holiday, and it was wonderful to be with my family for a much needed rest together, but I still missed gathering here with all of you.

It is so hard for me to believe that after all of our discussions, planning, and sharing of ideas, the holidays are coming to a close. Christmas Day was so much fun, and I so love that my boys are now old enough to really get into all aspects of the holiday. It seemed to all fly by this year, and now here we are, just days before the year turns.

For Christmas this year, we decided that it would be fun for the boys to finally get into the mountains, and onto skis. My husband has been an avid snowboarder for many years, and he has been patiently waiting for the day that I would agree to let the boys join in on the fun. Their eyes lit up like nothing I had ever seen at the two sets of skis, helmets, and goggles that sat under the tree (a gift from their Grammie and Papa).

Thankfully we had a ton of snow fall just days before Christmas (as I hear so many of you did as well), and there is a small hill near our home that was perfect for their first few runs.

As is always the case, my oldest strapped on those skis, and took to the challenge head-on. Jacob scares me to death, because he has such fierce determination, and very little sense of fear. The combination led him to create a jump after his fifth turn down the hill, and he had managed to nail it before he came in on that first night. I really think that his teenage years may kill me.

Not to say that he found this new sport to be without it’s down sides too

My husband also gifted the boys with a neat old-time wooden sleigh that he found in a thrift store, and that has gotten a lot of use on that same hill. I myself found a ton of joy on this sled, especially since it does not ride at all like the plastic ones that I am so use to.

The days leading up to Christmas were so full of gift making, that I was pretty sure that I was going to look down to find a pair of cute little elf shoes adorning my feet. I had a ton of fun creating for my family, and it was amazing to not really step into a store this entire holiday season.

The most cherished piece created was a last-minute pillow that I made for my mom. I had been working on the design for a few weeks, and I had so wanted to get to it before the big day, but I feared that the time was simply not going to be there. Two days before Christmas, with a lot of coffee in hand, I sat down to give it a try.

I think that what I love most about this pillow is it’s simplicity. I was originally thinking of doing a colored background, but I am really pleased with the green leaves on crisp white fabric. This was a fun piece that again mixed fabric painting with embroidery and sewing. I now have three more designs ready to be put together, and I do believe that pillow making may take a big part of my sewing time over the next few weeks. Thank you to Larissa for the easy envelope pillow backing tutorial. I think that I will never back a pillow any other way again.

I think that our children’s obsession with music is finally out, as they were gifted with a Native American flute, two recorders, a clarinet and a trumpet. As my youngest said to me as I was putting him to bed yesterday, “Mama, tomorrow I am going to wake you up really early for the musical parade. I hope that you look pretty”.

It was a wonderful weekend that will be very cherished, and to be honest, a little missed. This quiet time with my family has been so needed, and I hesitate to let it go. We have a few more days to come together and enjoy the season, and I look forward to savoring every moment.

I hope that all of you had a wonderful holiday, and that you enjoy these last few days of 2009.

kerry December 28, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Oh Heather, it looks like you all had so much fun! What a beautiful pillow… isn't it just a wonderful feeling when you can make your vision a reality? I think the journey from the creative vision to the end product is such an amazing thing (except for when it is such a frustrating one as sometimes happens!) Enjoy the rest of your special time together!

bright and blithe December 28, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Oh, your mother must be thrilled! It's beautiful. I love the shimmer of the leaves.

Ann December 28, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Wow! you really had a great time and the boy's on those skis – what confidence. The pillow looks amazing and I am sure much appreciated. The colours are wonderful. Thanks for sharing your photographs as always.
Hope you have a Happy New Year.

Earth Mama December 28, 2009 at 1:36 pm

That is a really awesome pillow. I love the green against the cream…simple and beautiful. I think I had the most treasured holiday so far. Whether is was the joy of creating and giving, or something in the air. I was realxed and enjoyed every second of it (almost- with four littles I'm sure I was stressed a bit somewhere along the line). I hope the snow sticks around for your boys to get lots of practice on those skis before hitting the big slopes!

:)Lisa

Tonya December 28, 2009 at 1:40 pm

This is such a special time… I love the photo of your boys skiing and the beautiful pillow you made.
Continue to enjoy the moments. Warm wishes.

geek+nerd December 28, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Hehehe! So much to smile about in this post. Growing up in New England, I was plopped into a set of skis when I was about your boys age…and I well remember my first runs…doing the "pizza" and taking quite a few diggers that looked just like that photo. OUCH! Have fun with that EARLY parade mama – I'm sure you'll look very pretty. (I just about melted from the cuteness over here)

Julia December 28, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Well, I was so happy to see the boys on their skis, sometimes I feel a bit judged at the mountain to have such little ones up so high. You are smart to start them young though, they look like naturals!

That pillow, oh that pillow! I am a complete sucker for leave. What a beautiful gift.

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your time with your family, but selfishly, I did miss you and your sweet present of a blog.

Hugs to you.

Brooke December 28, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Those pictures of the kids on skis are fantastic! Looks like you guys had a great time! I wish my kids were old enough to learn to ski while we are living here in Montana, but that probably won't be the case! Love the pillow, the mixing of mediums is wonderful (especially when you are as talented as you). Glad you guys had such a wonderful holiday.

Jennifer December 28, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I couldn't agree more. I too am taking a much needed break from a few activities, writing my blog included, and I know that it will feel even more strange when I head back to my daily posts. Honesty, I haven't decided when that will be! I am so very glad to hear that you all had a wonderful holiday; it sounds like your oldest and mine are two peas in a pod. Persistent and determined are two words I have used to describe G since birth, and on the days of crying and crying and crying I would tell myself that they are excellent qualities for an adult, just challenging to parent, but oh so worth it! Yes, the teenage years will frighten us, but they will be wonderful men, won't they?

Ivy December 28, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I love the smile on your younger son's face. I don't think he could be any happier! Those cheeks and that smile — oh my gosh how do you keep from just gobbling him right up?! Those boys must have had the best time on those skis and not knowing how to ski myself I think you are one brave Momma.

Maeghan December 28, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I love the joy that your children have while on the skiis. What fun with the instruments.

eliz ~ so wabi sabi December 28, 2009 at 3:31 pm

that pillow is gorgeous…I love the combination of the painted design and the embroidery. I liked it when we first got the peek with your Christmas wish. Enjoy every moment of your family time! blessings~

Hip Mountain Mama December 28, 2009 at 3:35 pm

How cute to see the boys on skiis! We'll have to take them up to the mountain this winter!!

Valarie December 28, 2009 at 3:36 pm

wow, look at those boys go! It is so fun to see them skiing so well on their first day. The pillow design is so lovely and I bet your mom loved it. I was laughing when I read about your musical parade because my youngest son always use to wake up the whole family every morning with his little accordian. These years are so much fun. happy continuation of the end of the year. 😉

kendra December 28, 2009 at 3:44 pm

lol on the morning parade! you will look pretty! if bed-tousled. : )

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 4:59 pm

The musical parade was a blast. Although, I thought my poor husband my crack at the seams at all the noise :)

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm

It was a blast!
Hope you had a great holiday

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I would love to see the boys with an accordian. I think that shall be the next one on the list.
We used your chocolate cookies as our santa treats. Thank you for the wonderful recipe
Hope you had a lovely holiday

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I gobble him up every day. I hate that he is getting bigger, I want to keep those cute little cheeks forever

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I do truly hope that they grow into being happy and healthy young men. I am looking forward to watching their journey. I love your blog so very much, but I understand the need for a break.

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Brooke, I hope that you had a wonderful holiday as well. Learning to ski is sort of a must here in Colorado, and I figured that they should probably learn young. We have friends who put their little ones on skis at 2, so if you are still in Montant when your kiddos are that age, it might be fun to watch :).

________________________________________

Jodi December 28, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Oh the sounds of music will be ringing in your ears! Thankfully, the kids can head outdoors with all that gear. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I know :) I particularly liked the fact that he felt that I needed to be pretty for his parade. Perhaps I always get up looking all messed up.

Brooke December 28, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, I asked the oldest this year if he would be interested (he is 3) and he said pretty much "no"… he is the rational one! The 2 year old would happily learn, and probably have a blast… she is fearless. We will be leaving beautiful Montana after one more winter, so maybe next year. And we have no idea where we are going, so maybe we will go somewhere with snow also! I can hope. I love the snow and cold… except when it gets too cold! Colorado looks beautiful (too bad there is not an air force base my husband can be stationed at! )

Shivayamama December 28, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I have been dying to get the boys up to Montana. My parents and aunt and uncle are taking a pretty long trip through their next fall, and I am so jealous.
What about the air force base in Colorado Springs? That thing is huge!

Ali December 28, 2009 at 8:30 pm

that pillow is beautiful, i love the design, the leaves seem to be placed just perfectly. Happy holidays to you and your family.

Kelly December 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm

what a wonderful holiday!

kaylovesvintage December 28, 2009 at 9:40 pm

very pretty pillow

nicola December 28, 2009 at 10:19 pm

look at the comments here already, heather!
i missed my blog and yours and so many others while taking a holiday break, too, but it certainly makes me re-think (again) how i am balancing my real and mental time.
i love your photo story. my daughter got on skis last winter and loved it!
and the pillow? beautiful!

Allegra December 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm

The pillow is beautiful! It looks like you've been having a wonderful holiday. I particularly enjoyed your son's comment about the musical parade. :)

kristyn December 29, 2009 at 12:09 am

your holiday sounds like it was perfect! I love the ski goggle shot! he's so adorable!!
have a relaxing vacation.

heather December 29, 2009 at 2:31 am

What an amazing feat to make it through Christmas without the shopping! I can only image how wonderful that must feel.

Your pillow is gorgeous!

Chelsea December 29, 2009 at 4:19 am

they look like total naturals on the snow. I'm holding my breath a bit for the time when my own little fella(sss!) will start adventuring like that — Sebastian still loves to run around and jump / climb on everything and while that only makes me a little bit nervous, when its the boys, oh boy… Get some good beauty sleep for the musical parade! +Chelsea

larissa December 30, 2009 at 4:09 am

Great action shots! Your boys look so comfortable on those skis! Love the shading and stitching of the leaves on the pillow. and i'm so glad you found the tutorial helpful! Glad to see you're taking some time to relax.