A Forever Treasure

December 29, 2009

Have you ever been given something that has so much meaning, and so much magic, that it changes a little piece of you?

On Christmas morning, I woke to the idea, as I always do, that this was a day for my children. I sometimes forget that I am a child too, and that being a parent is never something that you stop enjoying. I know that now, because of my mother’s expression when I reached for the bag with my name on it, and found inside one of the most treasured of gifts.

Three years ago, my mom started knitting me an afghan. I really had no idea that she was close to being done, and it was just one of those shocks that takes your breath away. Even though I had seen her knitting it, and even though I knew how beautiful it was, I just didn’t realize the power that it would hold for me.

I treasure my mother (and my dad to). My mom is my world, and she has made every moment of my life so amazing. What she gave me, I know that she just wanted me to have something to always keep me warm and safe, and something that she knew would always keep her close.

Her words were so powerful for me, because I know that they are true. I know that every time she sat down and picked up her needles, she wove together all of her hopes and dreams for me, and then sealed them with her love. No one can ever take that away from me, it stays with me through my life. Hopefully I can find a way to pass down to my children the love that she so willingly gives to me everyday.

Bridget December 29, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Absolutely beautiful!

Suzanne December 29, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I would feel the same way–what a beautiful and amazing gift! I love Emerson's qoute,"The only true gift, is a gift of thyself". Truer words were never spoken:-)

geek+nerd December 29, 2009 at 2:13 pm

That is a gorgeous afghan. I simultaneously got all teary-eyed and laughed within two seconds of reading this post. Teary-eyed because it is such a sweet wonderful gift from your mom, and her words were so heartfelt. Then I laughed, because although I have received many beautiful knitted items from my mom, I don't think there is any one that I have quite attached the same sentiment to yet. This is possibly because my mom is the fastest knitter that I know! Her note would go something like this "Dear Sarah, it has been five minutes since I started your shawl, and I will miss the brief moment that I sat down to make it…" And thinking of that gave me a chuckle :)

lorena December 29, 2009 at 2:24 pm

what a heartfelt gift – for both you and your mother……..

Kim December 29, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Oh, that is precious! A keepsake for its beauty AND sentiment. It definitely has love in the stitches. :)

erin December 29, 2009 at 2:32 pm

oh heather! this brought happy tears to my eyes.

i especially love that she signed it "mama" — i hope my children call me mama forever. (i often wondered if they will as i've noticed many of their older friends/cousins changed to mom as they got older.)

much love to you and your beautiful family…

~erin

jessica December 29, 2009 at 2:32 pm

What an amazing, amazing gift. Your mother's words perfectly explain why I love making homemade gifts. What a treasure!

cat December 29, 2009 at 2:38 pm

way to bring tears to my eyes! what a perfect gift of love, and a great way to get a hug from your mom whenever you need it…..

happy new year…:)

Hip Mountain Mama December 29, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I have tears in my eyes Heather…and now they are falling down my face! :) I hope to bring this much joy to my children throughout the years!!

Maureen December 29, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Each time you use it you will feel the warmth of her love for you.
Beautiful

nicola December 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm

heather, my eyes are teary reading your post. my own mom is just as amazing and giving and loving. we are so very lucky. one of my dear friends lost her mother as a girl and now that she is a mom, she feels like she struggles sometimes without that loving guidance and she has also expressed admiration and wistfulness as my relationship with your mom.
if your mom doesn't read your blog, send her to this post. many hugs,

eliz ~ so wabi sabi December 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

tears in my tea! what a super sweet mom you have, Heather…and what a special gift.

Julia December 29, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Oh Heather…Really, I'm at work….tears.

This is how I feel about my mom. You really have a way with words, which was obviously passed on to you from your wonderful Mama and her beautiful letter to you.

The blanket is beyond stunning.

No fear of you passing it on to your boys the love that you inherited…..your love for and from them is evident.

Hugs to you my friend.

Love Julia

KimmieKusz December 29, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Very adorable, don't we all just have to love our moms for the things they do every day, without wanting anything in return… It amazes me how strong this love is. Altough I am not a mom myself yet, I really love the way my parents love me, and I can't wait to get kids to pass on all that love…

Ivy December 29, 2009 at 3:47 pm

An absolutely beautiful post and gift. You are so lucky to have a mother that loves and supports you that much and who wants to make things for you that show you that. It's all any of us could ever want for ourselves and our children.

Brooke December 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Along with the other women who have commented, I have tears in my eyes! What a beautiful gift from an obviously beautiful woman! How wonderful that she spent that time to create something so wonderful for her daughter. It made me think of the relationship I want to have with my daughter. And I hope that when she is my age and I make her something, she will in turn use some of the words that you have to describe me! (Is that selfish?) In todays busy world, most couldn't wait 3 years for such a wonderful gift, it is an instant gratification thing for most kids! I hope to teach mine that it isn't always the case, and sometimes things made with love take a lot longer! I say this as I venture to create a quilt for my girl… and this time, I plan to actually quilt the thing, instead of just sewing lines down it!!
Thank you Heather, once again!

amanda December 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm

You have me crying this morning too, Heather! What a beautiful, special gift. I know you will treasure it. And I hope that you and yours are treasuring this holiday time together too….

Kayla December 29, 2009 at 4:39 pm

That is beautiful, Heather. My mom said similar things when my sisters and I presented her with a quilt we made together for her 50th birthday. These kinds of gifts are the absolute best!

Kelly December 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

wow, beautiful!!

quirkygranolagirl December 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

This touched my heart. This is always the kind of gift that I strive to give, but to receive it and to recognize all of the love behind it is truly special. You are a lucky woman in many ways.

stacyZ December 29, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Heather this is such a beautiful post not just for your writing but the sentiment. I am blessed to know both you and your mother and your card brought tears to my eyes. i know the afghan is beautiful but what the true beauty is is that of the love between mother and daughter. The bond you two share is sacred and beautiful. Having such as you grow up it is no wonder you are such an amazing woman and mother yourself.

stac

Meryl December 29, 2009 at 5:05 pm

This is the thing I love most about knitting….every stitch is like a tiny prayer. What a beautiful afghan!

Ashley December 29, 2009 at 5:15 pm

This made me cry! What a wonderful Mama you have.

Courtney December 29, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Stunningly beautiful. A work of art and of love. Like your other readers, I too am teary-eyed. Thank you for sharing the card too – it's very personal and I might not have had the bravery to share it but I am so very glad that you did. Very lovely – made me feel warm all the way over here.

rae December 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm

what a beautiful sentiment. the afghan is stunning! i love that you shared your mom's card. so very sweet and thoughtful. it is so special that you share the love of making gifts for loved ones with her. thanks for sharing this special moment with us! 😉

Chelsea December 29, 2009 at 6:19 pm

That is absolutely gorgeous. This being our first Christmas where Pan was a bit more aware of what was going on, it was such an incredible experience of the joy of giving and making magic happen for a little one. You can't really know what that gift is like until you are a mother. But it is so good to be reminded that that joy of making love apparent for a child never quite fades out, even once they are all grown up and mama-ing themselves. +Chelsea

Sarah Jane December 29, 2009 at 9:34 pm

So beautiful! I love the textures. Now you get to think of your mom whenever you use it.

Nina - Tabiboo December 29, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Such a beautiful afghan and something that will be treasured forever. How wonderful is your mum??

Happy holidays,

Nina x

Melissa December 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Very breath taking. I hop eone day i can make such things to give to my children

5orangepotatoes December 29, 2009 at 11:13 pm

Teary eyed as well, her words are the cherry on top of the beautiful afghan! So much beaurty and warmth; and the wonderful energy it will send you as you create beautiful makings while wrapped up in this gift.
lisa

Allegra December 29, 2009 at 5:01 pm

oh heather the afghan is beautiful. i am crying reading this post because the love that your mama put into it and its beauty is so wonderful. lovely.

Stephanie December 30, 2009 at 12:31 am

This is definitely a treasure, both the afghan and the card! Absolutely beautiful!!!! You're one lucky daughter!

Valarie December 30, 2009 at 1:23 am

Moms are so amazingly wonderful. Your blanket is beautiful. It just glows with love. Enjoy ! Such a beautiful story.

Jennifer December 30, 2009 at 2:14 am

Oh, you (and your mom!) brought tears to my eyes! What a beautiful blanket and what a wonderful relationship the two of you have. I am a bit jealous; my mom has Parkinson's Disease. She was diagnosed while I was still in high school, and though it has progressed slowly, she has been quite bad for about ten years. I really miss the person she once was, and I ache for the person she still is. I treasure the bits of her I still know. I am always glad to see someone who has a great relationship with their mom; it's how we once were, and how I believe we will be again once this life is over. Enjoy the warmth of your new blanket, both the physical and the emotional and spiritual kinds!

Adrie December 30, 2009 at 2:47 am

Amazing and so beautiful! It's wonderful to see a "real-life" mother daughter relationship like this one. You are both so blessed.

Julia December 30, 2009 at 3:01 am

ok, so I am just going to go cry now 😉

heather December 30, 2009 at 3:13 am

oh my gosh, the way you just shared this with us is so heart~touching, it made me cry, too. you are very lucky, and i know you know it, to have a mama like that! mmmmmmmm. this makes me want to post a little somethin for my mama too, and a similar knitted afghan she made me a few years back. sometimes i have a hard time letting all these old stories go and just loving her, but this makes me want to try a little harder. thanks for that~ heather

larissa December 30, 2009 at 3:56 am

Gorgeous afghan full of so much love! and the card is just perfect – i love how you mom wrote she was going to miss knitting it. Thank you so much for sharing this. I, too, am so focused on being a mama that I forget I'm my mama's child. I think i'm going to get down the afghan that my mama knit for me when I was married nearly 18 years ago – and appreciate it more.

Shivayamama December 30, 2009 at 6:11 am

We really are blessed, and we both try never to forget it.
hope all is well with you :)

________________________________________

Elizabeth Davis December 30, 2009 at 3:40 am

This is really so beautiful. I have cried through this post. What a special gift from your Mother. And the note from her…such a gift in and of itself.

Gerri December 30, 2009 at 6:23 am

How wonderful that your Mom loves you in that way. Enjoy each moment as you wrap up in her expression of love. :)

Debbie December 30, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Wow…that is so gorgeous…and her note made me cry. I have struggled with my relationship with my mum and have always envied others with these great mother-daughter relationships. However, I'm starting to find my way back to my mum in a way I didn't think was possible. Your beautiful afghan gives me so much hope. Happy New Year Heather. -Debbie

Gypsy Forest December 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm

awesome :)

perches December 30, 2009 at 5:00 pm

oh, your mom's note made me cry (in the best way). so beautiful – her words and her afghan. gorgeous colors!

kyndale December 30, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Very touching. What a beautiful gift your Mama made for you. And it's not just the afghan. That's beautiful. But also the sentiment behind it. You have an awesome Mom!

Jamie Ann December 30, 2009 at 6:19 pm

It is so beautiful. I am sitting here weeping. I miss you all so much. I hope more than anything that we can get together before August 2011. Love you, Jamie

holly c. December 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm

What a wonderful, wonderful gift. And what your mom wrote in her card-that must have made you feel soooooo good!

emily December 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Such a touching, beautiful gift. I thought it was well said that we, even in adulthood, are still children, too. :) Beautiful afghan!

wesleyjeanne December 31, 2009 at 3:06 am

Wow, what an amazing gift, and how very beautiful. I want one now!

farmama December 31, 2009 at 4:12 am

That afghan is so beautiful……and that letter from your Mama makes it even more beautiful and special……so very special!! What wonderful family heirlooms!
Wishing you well on these very last days of 2009!
Sara

Arianne December 31, 2009 at 4:13 am

Oh my goodness, reading your post just made me tear! What a lucky daughter you are to receive such a special and beautiful gift. What a special feeling that is, it's priceless!
Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Arianne

renee December 31, 2009 at 4:24 am

That is so pretty…both the words and the blanket. This is the very reason i like to make things for my own kids. So they can feel the love in their belongings.

Shivayamama December 31, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Arianne. It really is a very special feeling to have something so priceless, and filled with love. Wishing you a wonderful new year.

Warmly,
Heather
________________________________________

Shivayamama December 31, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Thank you Sara, you as well. I have os enjoyed reading your blog these past few months, and I look forward to seeing all that you do in the coming year.

Warmly,
Heather
________________________________________

GinnySheller January 2, 2010 at 12:21 am

I love that you have a wonderful mother, you realize that, and appreciate it. I cannot imagine getting a gift like this from my mom. I don't have that sort of relationship with her, ours is sort of a reverse mother child thing, and I love seeing the proof that there is another way, and I pray that I can achieve this with my own daughters one day.

AG Ambroult January 2, 2010 at 3:09 am

oh my goodness. The afghan is amazing but the note fro you mom is the true piece of beauty!