Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
A Bit of Magic - Shivaya Naturals

A Bit of Magic

December 8, 2009

I would like to thank my dear friend, Imene, for including me in her Blogview today. Imene is the writer of the blog, A Journey To a Simple Happy Life, and I am honored to be featured.

I still believe in magic. I believe in the magic of fairy tales, of true love, of destiny. I believe that the power of those beliefs is what makes them come alive, and gives them the ability to transform my dreams and my journey through this world. I never remember having to go through a painful process of realizing that Santa Claus wasn’t real, because my mom and dad had always talked about the magic of Santa, rather than the person. So today, there is just as much magic in that Jolly Old Elf for me that there was so many years ago. Magic can stay with us for as long as we choose to hold it.

Growing up in a Catholic home, advent was always celebrated, and I loved waking up on the first Sunday of Advent, when my nativity scene advent calendar appeared at my bedside. Each morning I would open a window and see everything begin to come alive. I always remember advent being a time of hope and joy, and those feelings would only grow as we moved toward the magical moment of Christmas Day.

Seven years ago, my mom gave us an advent box for our family to enjoy through the years. Many advent calendars had begun to move towards holding a special gift inside each day, and this box was given to us to allow our children a special surprise each morning through the advent season. The first few years of my older son’s life the box simply had a small piece of wool to touch, or a felted star or bell. As the years went on, the box contained a little treat to start the day off with, and it has been a highly anticipated part of their mornings.

A few years back, my oldest asked us where the treats came from. I paused, not so sure exactly what I wanted to say. My husband looked at them both and replied “The Advent Fairy brings them to you”. I remember thinking “OK, now we have an Advent fairy? Really?” While I wasn’t expecting this to turn out too well, the story has become a beautiful one, with the advent fairy simply being a part of the magic of Christmas. That magic has allowed the little ones to travel to many lands where the fairy might be, to create many scenes and stories for her to enjoy, and many magical moments for the boys to hold onto. When we gather around our advent wreath on Sundays, I know that the boys understand what advent is, and they hold it in reverence, and the magic of the fairy is only one more way for them to dance with the hope and joy that this season is supposed to bring.

Yesterday, the fairy finally got a home, right next to the box that she visits every morning. The fairy house was built with two sets of little loving hands, and a lot of creative craftsmanship. There is a tree house and a lake with a porch. A mushroom garden, and a gem stone path way. There is a swing, and many trees for the fairy to hide in.

Perhaps most special is the advent garden that the boys make every year. The advent garden was introduced to us from the boy’s Waldorf preschool teacher a few years back, who would have the children make the garden just prior to the advent spiral that we all love so much. The garden is filled with shells, and gems and is a special way for the little ones to mark the season. The boys placed the garden in a prominent place, as a special treat for the fairy herself to play in.

Oh the power of magic.

Tonya December 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm

We all need some magic in our lives….
Beautiful.
Warm wishes

AdirondackMama December 8, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Magic is everywhere this time of year. You make me want to run outside and tear up some moss from under the inches of snow.

I love your advent box…doors with surprises on the other side? Who wouldn't be excited at that?!?!?!

Camille Dumas Davis December 8, 2009 at 4:45 pm

You write so beautifully Heather. I really, really enjoy your blog.

Lisa Q December 8, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Great interview…so neat to read more about you. I love that little fairy home..such creativity and imagination! my girls would have loved that when they were little. heck, they might even enjoy it now!

Maeghan December 8, 2009 at 4:56 pm

Thank you for sharing the magic of Christmas!

Kelly December 8, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Very sweet that you are passing this on!

Mary YDP December 8, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Beautiful, such memories you're little ones will have!

Jessica December 8, 2009 at 5:59 pm

we started the advent calender this year for the first time with eliot. he asked me the same thing – where did the present come from mom? after a pause, out came 'the advent elf'. a new tradition is born.

sowabisabi December 8, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I love the idea of the advent fairy and her lovely garden. I'd like to create such a lovely tradition in our home.

Gypsy Mama December 8, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Lovely post. And I enjoyed the interview too 🙂

Jennifer F. December 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm

I encourage all of us to explore with your children the true joy of Advent and Christmas: the holy miracle of God humbling himself to take on the form of man, in order to love him more perfectly.

May God Bless all of you as you celebrate this truly joyful and awesome season, especially Heather and her family.

Melina ~honeybird December 8, 2009 at 6:52 pm

First timer to your blog via soulemama. Got 2 little ones nipping at my feet so I have bookmarked it for further reading. I'm excited because just scrolling through your pics looks so lovely!!

HRobinson December 8, 2009 at 7:18 pm

So beautiful!

Chelsea December 8, 2009 at 7:42 pm

The fairy home is lovely! The boys helped to make it? What a wonderful, wonderful thing to craft together. +Chelsea

Rebecca December 8, 2009 at 7:46 pm

What a wonderful way to bring some magic to your household. Beautiful story

Ann December 8, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Just love the advent box. I always had something special for my son when he was growing up – he really loved all the treats. He is now grown up and living in Savannah, but I still send him his advent calendar and I have one of my own this year. Such a special time – enjoy.

quirkygranolagirl December 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I love the advent fairy's house. I want to live there! Thank you for sharing.

nicola December 8, 2009 at 9:01 pm

thank you for sharing your beautiful bits of magic, heather!

Meryl December 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Mmmm….Magic in the winter, magic in the snow (here!), magic in Christmastime and faries and fun–I love it!

Shivayamama December 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Thank you Rebecca, I hope that you, Mike and the new wee one are resting up

Imene December 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Thank you Heather, I am the one thrilled to have interviewed you. I love this fairy tale tradition, more to inspire us and to incorporate magic in our lifes

HilarieMae December 8, 2009 at 11:49 pm

So I was just about to write my own post about how much I love Advent, and how it's my favorite time of year. But instead, I decided I check a few other blogs first, and here was your post!!! I love that your boys so much appreciate the magic of Advent and it is wonderful to hear that other people celebrate it and don't rush into Christmas without experience that beautiful time of waiting. Happy Advent!

Susan@Rawmazing December 9, 2009 at 12:32 am

Love your blog. Takes me back to the time my daughters were in Waldorf here in Mpls. They now live out there! Thank you for the wonderful trips down memory lane. It was such a special time…it disappears fast!

Stephanie December 9, 2009 at 12:42 am

Love the story of the advent fairy. So fun!

Polly December 8, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Hi there Heather!
We featured your amazing roasted coffee on our blog today! Thanks for all the inspiration!

darlene December 9, 2009 at 4:08 am

Love your advent fairy and the great interview you gave. Inspiring.

Shivayamama December 9, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Polly, thank you so much. I just visited Josie's blog, and I was so excited about all the recipes that you have shared with your readers (I also love her section on amazing women, so cool!)

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 9, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Ann, how sweet that you still send that to him. I think that it must be great to open a package from him family and have something so special inside.

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 9, 2009 at 4:12 pm

It is a nice treat to have.
I am going to be putting together the interview questions I would love to ask, and sending them over this weekend. We can set up a weekend that works for you to get it up on the blog. I know that the holidays can be busy, so whenever it works, wonderful!

________________________________________

Shivayamama December 9, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I think that the fairy home is something that can go into all ages. I have really enjoyed it myself. Have a wonderful day!

Heather
________________________________________

donrahi December 9, 2009 at 5:25 pm

We only have two weeks to create this magic. Our children seem to be in a magical life 365 days a year, especially the two year old. Living in New York City it is hard to conjure up winter wonderland. Maybe it's spending more family time together working on projects or just singing songs while drinking hot chocolate. Happy Holidays!

Valarie December 9, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I believe in magic. Oh Yes, the advent fairy, a great little person to have around your house during this time of year. We must give dad some credit for some very quick thinking. These spontaneous traditions are the ones that are held nearest and dearest. Cheers to the advent fairy.

Valarie December 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Oh , it's me again. I liked so very much Imene's post on you. I enjoyed getting to know you bettter. Cheers.

Shivayamama December 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Thank you Chelsea. The boys actually made the fairy home all by themselves. My oldest loves to build, and he has taken it apart and recreated it a few times over the past week. It is amazing what little six year old hands can do 🙂
Heather Fontenot
” target=”_blank”>http://www.shivayanaturals.com
” target=”_blank”>http://www.rhythmofthehome.com
/>________________________________________

renee December 10, 2009 at 2:47 am

There is so much magic in life, thank you for sharing some of yours with us!
I enjoyed the interview very much.

erin December 10, 2009 at 1:36 pm

this post truly touched my soul. thank you.

Jennifer December 13, 2009 at 4:01 am

It's wonderful when you build a new tradition with your little ones, isn't it? I adore the way they embrace the traditions we create; it's awesome when they take something and run with it making it their own. I love the blocks and other wooden pieces they used in the fairy's home. Where are they from?