Tapped

November 10, 2009

Last year, I mentioned that the movie Tapped had been filmed, and was getting ready to begin it’s independent film tour of the US. Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to visit the Colorado Environmental Film Festival to see this movie, as well as a few others.

To say that Tapped is extraordinary would be a huge understatement. The movie explores the relationship of the bottled water industry and their consumers. The movie is not political (which I really love), but instead it seeks to explore the strange practices that the bottled water industry is allowed to use, and the incredible impact that it is having on our health, our environment, and our towns.

Even though I felt well educated on the risks of plastic chemical leeching, as well as the environmental impact of disposing and creating so many water bottles, there was so much that this movie shed light on that I had no idea was happening in our country.

The boys went with Joel and I to see the movie, and it was neat to leave the theater and have such amazing discussions with a six and four year old. I wasn’t sure if the subject matter was going to be too much for them, but I discovered that it is never to early to help children become aware of things that they can do to try and better the world.

Tapped is a great film, and if you see it, or have seen it, I would love to know what you think.

added: Tapped has a website that is also a wonderful resource for learning more about the subject matter in their film. You can find it here

Eva November 10, 2009 at 4:19 pm

I saw this movie is New York, and it is amazing. I was so angry to learn that we buy bottled water at 1900 times the cost, and that most of the time the water is straight from a municipal source. I can't believe that it is deemed to be OK to take municipal water at tax payers expense, have little or no constraints on how the water is purified, and then sell it back to it's citizens for 1900 times more than it would have been through the tap.

We installed a water filter in our sink, and we no longer drink any kind of beverages from plastic bottles.

Thanks for sharing this, I hope that more people see it.

Shivayamama November 10, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Yep, there were a lot of points like the one you mention that were crazy. I was really surprised to hear that bottled water companies are allowed to continue pumping up to 50 million gallons of water a day in towns that were experiencing extreme droughts, and in certain cases, where citizens of the town were without water. and then they were selling the water back to them at an exuberant cost.

Chris Worthy November 10, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Thank you for posting this! I wrote about the insanity (as I see it) of buying bottled water last year and I know I have some "green" stories coming up on assignment in the spring. Maybe I can get an interview with the folks behind this movie. I can't wait to see it.
One big realization for me was the notion that not only is this tap water, and not only is it bottled in who knows what, but then it is SHIPPED all over. Is there anything less green? :)

Gypsy Forest November 10, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Awesome that you took the boys….. living in the south you really get to see mass consumption of those water bottles due to the heat. We travel with our reusable ones and I've even gone so far as to ask my children to not accept bottles offered by friends. They politely decline and if questioned tell people "I'd rather not waste the bottle." Also, we chose to not have water service at our house and instead installed an RO water system. Thanks for sharing this. Every time we educate one more person, we save our earth a little bit more :)

Shivayamama November 10, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I think that interviewing these folks would rock! They were at the festival and it was so neat to hear all that they had to say. It was also interesting to see how many people came and saw the movie who were looking for understanding on how to take up cause in their own towns.

Shivayamama November 10, 2009 at 5:03 pm

After we saw the movie, we talked about never again buying anything in a plastic bottle as well. We have always carried our reusable ones, but for water than for juice, etc. We took the boys out for a walk on Sunday afternoon to show them how much trash/plastic can be out there, and I think that they got the idea that even though you can recycle plastic, a lot of people choose not to. Even I was kind of stunned by how much garbage and waste is all over the place when you really look

AdirondackMama November 10, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Holy COW!!!!!! I, for one am not a fan of bottled water, it all tastes like plastic to me. Yuk.

It sounds like a really interesting film. I'm glad that you all had a nice time together learning.

Stephanie November 10, 2009 at 5:15 pm

This sounds like a very interesting film and would love to see it. Thanks for sharing the info.

geek+nerd November 10, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Wow – great trailer! Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to see it!

Christine November 10, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I have been doing a lot of reading on water bottles and pregnancy (we are expecting in January). Is this movie out in theaters, or is there a way to purchase it?

Merrie November 10, 2009 at 5:54 pm

People need to see this film, but unfortuately I think too many people are just clueless or don't care about the environment. They label people that care about the environment as "tree huggers". I am a Christian and I believe God gave us everything we need, but we keep destroying all the natural beauty. It saddens me to think of the legacy we are leaving future generations. I am only 37 years old, and the world is already definitely not as nice as when I was a child. It's so simple to have a filtration system installed in your home to make tap water a little safer. It's certainly cheaper. Everyone complains about paying $3.00 for a gallon of gas, but then they pay $1.79 for a small bottle of "Smart Water". It's ridiculous.

AG Ambroult November 10, 2009 at 6:23 pm

that movie seems to be right up my alley. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
thanks!

Shivayamama November 10, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I so agree. I have no idea where the idea of being an environmentalist gave the "you can only be a tree hugging lunatic" came from, but this is a very serious problem, that has consequences for everyone. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Shivayamama November 10, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I know that they have pre-orders on their website, and a list of places where they will be showing the film over the next few months. I hope that helps, and congrats on your upcoming arrival :)

nicola November 10, 2009 at 7:31 pm

thanks for sharing this. i had not heard of it previously and i have been thinking a lot about this (and other topics related to our health and environment) lately.

Andrea November 10, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet but I've heard awesome reviews. I could kick myself for all the years we lugged coolers of bottled water to my daughter's softball and volleyball games! I switched to a stainless steel bottle two years ago…better late than never.

mary November 11, 2009 at 3:38 am

thanks for sharing this. I saw this trailer a long time ago and the trailer ALONE made me cancel my bottled water service (big bottles) and install my water filter. such an impact. thanks again! cant wait to see the full film.

Valarie November 11, 2009 at 3:40 am

Great post. It's coming to our area in a couple of weeks and I'm going directly to see it. We have never really taken to plastic water bottles but still it's everyones problem and awareness is the first step. Thanks for bringing this to us.

Shivayamama November 11, 2009 at 3:51 am

Mary, what shocks me is that those bigger bottles actually pose more of a health risk than the smaller bottles do. Apparently most of the big bottles contain BPA, which is just mind blowing to me.

Shivayamama November 11, 2009 at 3:53 am

Heck yeah! It is never too late. We lugged them around too, and it seemed like such a great convenience, and a way to always make sure that we were drinking water.

Hip Mountain Mama November 11, 2009 at 3:53 am

I remember when you posted this trailer last time. It looks really great and i am glad you got to see it. Sounds like you saw some great movies this weekend!

quirkygranolagirl November 11, 2009 at 5:47 am

I finished watching that trailer over a minute ago and I *still* have goosebumps. I hadn't heard of the movie, so thank you for giving me a heads up. I'll be sure to watch it.

5orangepotatoes November 11, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I must find this movie! I have been a no plastic kind of gal for years now; people thought I was a lunatic when I mentioned chemicals leeching into the product the plastic was holding. I 'm so happy to see that people are starting to fight back and letting the public know. Thanks for sharing the trailer, it really looks like a great independent film.

lisa

mary November 12, 2009 at 6:50 am

I KNOW~ and here I thought I was eliminating the bad plastic by filling our stainless bottles with that water rather than buying the small bottles. wow!

Savannah January 16, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I recently made the switch from plastic bottles to always carrying a stainless steel one. I'm wondering though what does everyone use at home to fill up the bottles? filters? tap? boiling?