Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/29/4232629/html/index.php:3) in /home/content/29/4232629/html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/wp-cache-phase2.php on line 62
The Fairy of Dreams - Shivaya Naturals

The Fairy of Dreams

October 26, 2009

The land of dreams is a beautiful and magical place that only children are allowed to visit. Once your eyes have closed for the night, and you drift into sleep, the dream fairy arrives to take you to the lands of magical dreams. The two of you take a long walk through the fields of the Rainbow King, where you play for long hours in the sunshine and flowers. There you meet many other children who are filled with laughter and joy, and who invite you to stay and play for as long as you can.

From there you walk through the lands of the Gnomes and Knights, where you witness some of the bravest souls you could ever meet. Their gallant spirit towards others is courageous and compassionate, and they invite you to come and help those in need for as long as you can.

From there you walk to the land of color and joy, where everything you see and touch is so vibrant and pure that you can do nothing else but stare in wonder at it’s beauty. The artists greet you, and invite you to create a beautiful world with them for long as you can.

Finally, you walk to the land of family and love, and there you see all those who have loved you, and always will. You see your mother and your father and your brother, and your grammie and your papa, and you softly turn to the magical dream fairy, ready to awaken and return.

Softly your eyes open, you turn to the sun, and greet the day.

So go now my love, enjoy and play the night away in the magical land of dreams.

My oldest son has struggled for some time now with trouble sleeping and nervous tension. We think that it might have something to do with the severity of his celiac disease, and how young he was when it developed. Whatever the reason, it has been an issue that we have been slowly working through.

A few weeks back, hours after we had put him to sleep, he was still tossing and turning. I asked him if I could make him some tea, and we sat in bed for a bit and talked. I realized that it was not the dark that scared him, nor the shadows, it was the unknown of where he went once his eyes closed .

Jacob loves stories, especially of magic and fairies and elves. So once the bath has been taken, and the snack eaten, and the teeth brushed, we settle into bed and tell the story of the Magical Land of Dreams. We have been working on storytelling for a while now, and I tried to create a story that used words to encourage him to stay in his dreams (sleeping), for as long as possible. The story varies from time to time, but they seem to love the idea that their dreams are there for them to enjoy, to capture and to savor.

Nicole from Garden Mama had a beautiful post last week on the joys of creating Dream Pillows. It has been the perfect fit into our story telling time, and as the lights go off, the boys inhale the sweet scents of lavender, chamomile and pure wool. The perfect offering to the Fairy of Dreams.

Many of you have asked how I transferred my blog to a custom domain while still keeping my analytics. I followed this wonderful post, and it worked perfectly. I will now be attempting to transfer the blog to WordPress on Friday. Fingers crossed. I will let you know how it goes.
Have a great beginning of your week

Hip Mountain Mama October 26, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Great minds think a like…right!!
I love your dream pillow!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool October 26, 2009 at 3:34 pm

What a great way to help cope with sleeping troubles! I wonder if it works for adults too… 😉

Heather October 26, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Lavender always helps me out. Now, if only someone could tell me a story before bed 🙂

Chelsea October 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I saw those on her blog the other day and swooned a bit – her photographs always seem to come together like a story book. That is a really lovely story — Sebastian had a terrible time with sleep for most of his youth and Pan is already showing some similarities the difficulty he has letting go of the waking world for sleep. Have their dream pillows helped them? +Chelsea

Valarie October 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Your dreamland is a beautiful place and your dream pillows are enchanting. Now I have a question…..Can I go there too. I'm a child at heart. 🙂 Does that count?

Julia October 26, 2009 at 6:02 pm

What a sweet story. Eben inevitably comes to find me when his sleep is interrupted…begging for snuggles.

My trick for allaying his bad dreams that sometimes creep up on him is to kiss them away.
I put my lips to his forehead and have him tell me once I've gotten every last one.

A pillow filled with lavendar sounds all the more sweet and lovely.

Jennifer October 26, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I love the way you take things you read and see and apply them to the things in daily life. The story is wonderful, and I do hope that the pillows are helping them sleep. Our older son (he's 3) is going through a rough sleeping patch too; he has two blankets, one knit and one quilted, that I made for him. We make sure he is snug under both of them before we leave the room at night, and having special things really seems to help!

... October 26, 2009 at 6:17 pm

what a wonderful story…and such a thoughtful way to help your little one find comfort in sleep.

I didn't find the link to the post that helped with your transfer…very interested!
blessings~

nicola@which name? October 26, 2009 at 6:56 pm

beautiful project. oh how our little people worry us. hugs to you.

gold fawn October 26, 2009 at 7:08 pm

oh Heather! So sweet! My oldest has suffered from night terrors, sleepwalking and sleep anxiety since he was a baby and these things really do help, we do similar calming rituals and he has a dreamcatcher over his bed that we made. It can be so hard at times for everyone, good luck working through it and reaching a place of peaceful sleep… xo m

The WoodLand School October 26, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Sweet idea, Heather! I like the extra-special touch that the embroidery adds to this pillow. Can't wait to get started on a couple of my own for my kids 🙂

perchesinthesoul October 26, 2009 at 9:20 pm

beautiful – story, pillow, embroidery, and especially the love & care behind them all. such a good mama, you inspire me 🙂 thanks

Eva October 26, 2009 at 9:30 pm

That is so sweet. I may need to create one for my sweet princess..she has bedtime troubles:0(

Elana October 26, 2009 at 9:44 pm

So sweet. I hope that both the boys have sweet dreams from now on

stitching under oaks October 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm

these are so adorable! I read her post and they are on my to do list. I hope that your boys have wonderful dreams on them!d

Jessica October 26, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I love that dream pillow! I saw that post as well and thought that I could use one, too!

Green Acres in the City October 26, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I wonder if this would help Cameron stay asleep? Love these! I have to make some!

Heather October 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Thank you so much. The boys are downstairs making another one as we speak, so I think that they are a hit

Stephanie October 26, 2009 at 11:52 pm

I too saw this on Nicole's blog. She really seems to live in fairyland doesn't she, or at least I like to think she does! Love your pillow, I hope it brings many sweet dreams for your boy. 🙂

Kelli October 27, 2009 at 12:44 am

Beautiful pillow and story. I too have a little one that is a poor sleeper due to health issues. It has been almost her whole life too. It is getting better though, with the consistent bedtime routines, and candle time. I love making pillows, I might have to do this for her. 🙂

gardenmama October 27, 2009 at 1:06 am

It is lovely to see my project tutorial for dream pillows has inspired you and your boys! I am happy to know they are a comfort to little ones during such a precious time at night.

renee ~ heirloom seasons October 27, 2009 at 1:45 am

The pillow is beautiful and your story is wonderful! I hope you are finding time for rest as well and having sweet dreams too 🙂

Luisa @ Dance in my garden October 27, 2009 at 3:06 am

Hi, I happened upon your blog, and think it's really lovely…I just hope I can find you at wordpress! best wishes.

Adrie October 27, 2009 at 3:11 am

The rituals and rhythms you create for your family are always so thoughtful and tender, Heather – thanks for shining your light yet again.

Journeying Five October 27, 2009 at 5:56 am

love your pillow and the love it will give him all night long.

Nancy October 27, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Such a sweet idea. My daughter sleeps with a tiny hand-crafted, balsam-scented pillow. I didn't make it myself–yours is darling!

Naturalearthfarm October 28, 2009 at 10:46 am

What a sweet mama you are Heather.
Storytelling is something that I want to learn as I am just terrible at it. My husband does make up a story each night for our two girls which is really cute.
Thank you for sharing about switching over your blog. Warm wishes.