Preperations

October 7, 2009

I don’t even know what to say for all of the incredible words that you all shared yesterday. Thank you.

We are knee deep in birthday preparations here today, and the excitement is building in all of us. My little Elwood keeps telling everyone he can find, “I am going to be four this week, four is a really big boy”.

Jacob is busy making Elwood a wonderful soccer bag, and he has insisted on doing every part of it himself. So far he has ironed (sorry, but I drew the line at using a rotary cutter with a 5 year old, and I cut it out for him), pinned and sewn the sides. Today we will work on making the casing, and then he will be all done.

I, on the other hand, will not be done so easily. However, I am still getting everyone out of the house and into the mountains to hike this afternoon, so the last of the preps will have to wait until later tonight.

I have found the perfect GF birthday breakfast recipe, and I will let you all know how it turns out.

For today, I leave you with my newest favorite: infused oil. I had a friend drop in on us unexpectedly last night, and with very little in the pantry, and a loaf of GF bread coming out of the oven, I infused some olive oil, herbs and garlic together, popped open a bottle of wine, and enjoyed the evening.

This oil was such a hit, and was so easy to make, that it will now remain a staple in our house. I used garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme.

Just grab whatever sounds good, put it into a heavy bottom pan, and infuse on low for as long as you can (I only did it for an hour last night, but longer would be just fine). Either serve with bread to dip, or strain it through cheese cloth and use to cook with (I also love to spread it on a loaf of bread just after it comes out of the oven).

OK, fingers crossed that I can get it all done before my little one opens his eyes tomorrow morning

Green Acres in the City October 7, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Sounds lovely. You can make it for me anytime. Fresh hot bread and wine, mmmm, nectar of the Gods!

stacyZ October 7, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Yay El is going to be 4! Many hugs from the Boulder crew love. We will see you on Saturday!

minivanlife October 7, 2009 at 4:36 pm

What a thoughtful little fellow you have there! And fresh loaf of bread with that oil looks absolutely HEAVENLY!! I can almost smell it…mmmmm. Please don't forget to add a few photos of the birthday and gifts to the Handmade Celebrations flickr group!

Inoureyes October 7, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I have been reading GF as girlfriend.
I cant wait to see your girlfriend bread!!
and you gluten free one too?
Cute soccer case, and little sewer too.
Have fun with the birthday preps. My Ellie spent ages going around telling people she was going to be "not the thumb" around that age.
Too cute!

Chelsea October 7, 2009 at 6:56 pm

you'll get it done! this is actually often my favorite way to finish projects — there is an intensity to working up to the last minute, and then this huge relief and bliss when it all works and the little El guy will be so happy to be 4! +Chelsea

kyndale October 7, 2009 at 7:37 pm

I love olive oil and bread! It's the best. What a great idea to infuse the oil with herbs and lemon. Have fun in the mountains! Hugs, Kyndale

PAT JARVIS October 7, 2009 at 7:41 pm

YOU ARE SO AMAZING — everything you do , plus home school— it leaves me exhausted — do take time for yourself—- everything you do with your little guys will enrich their lives, and make them the special people they will be

– faithful lurker and fellow fiber enthusiast

cheers pat — happy birthday ELWOOD

... October 7, 2009 at 8:25 pm

blessings on the special day ahead! and may the projects go incredibly smoothly and efficiently.

the nest October 7, 2009 at 8:43 pm

tomorrow is a busy one for us, so I will wish you and your 4 yr old a happy day, today!

thank you for the infused oil inspiration… yum!

Tabiboo October 7, 2009 at 9:07 pm

What a delicious idea to spruce up gluten free bread -I'm always looking for different ideas to make it a little bit more interesting and not so bland.

And such a wonderful birthday present for a 'nearly' turned four, such thought and concentration.

Nina x

kmberrien October 7, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Happy Birthday to your little one! How sweet that his brother is making him a special gift. I think birthdays are almost as much fun (though a bit more work) for the mom as for the birthday kid. Good luck getting things done tonight!

gardenmama October 7, 2009 at 10:23 pm

mmm herb infused oil *is* so good with fresh bread! Many warm wishes on your preparations for your big boys birthday celebration! I am glancing down at your post under this one and think it is a beautiful synchronicity, I just posted a photo of a 'circle of stones' today : ) Off to read your post… xo

Stephanie October 7, 2009 at 11:14 pm

infused oil and fresh bread is soooo good! Love your sons sock monkey pj's!!!

Julia October 7, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I've spent the day getting ready for Eben's birthday too. I started AND completed a furry little critter that I decided to add to his present table. (I emailed it to you)

He really is an animal lover.

I really am in awe of your boys sewing. How meaningful for Elwood to open a handmade gift from his brother.

I thought of you today while I was getting ingredients to make birthday cookies for Eben to bring to school. There are two little kids who have Celiac disease and I picked up 2 GF brownies in the bakery for them to have when the cookies are passed out.

You really have opened my eyes in more ways than one. So thanks.

larissa October 8, 2009 at 2:35 am

your little guy has the cutest sewing face ever! you are such a patient mom. and make sure that you get some sleep so that you can enjoy the day with your guys. and I can practically smell that garlic olive oil – so yum!

nicola@which name? October 8, 2009 at 3:23 am

oh, we do love dipping oils. nothing like fresh baked bread dipped in oil or slathered with good butter! yum. and your cutie sewing a gift for his brother. i love it!

valarie October 8, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Yum.this looks so good. It's wonderful that Jacob is so into making by his very self his brother's birthday present. It's going to be a great day now with your big boy who will be four.
To help you out in accomplishing your birthday boy due date I will now sing the theme song to Mission Impossible….dahdah,…..dah, dah , dahdah dah, dah , dahdah…get going ….this message self destructs in 4 hours. :) Just kidding. This is a destructive free email. You can do it Heather, You Can. Take Care,Valarie

patty-jean October 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

That oil sounds wonderful – tasty and medicinal!

wayfarer October 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

good luck! those nights before the birthday can be hectic (but so much fun and joy). My boy just turned four too. Enjoy!

Imene October 8, 2009 at 11:51 pm

I love that Jacob is making his brother a gift.
If you like oil infusion, I tried once olive oil infused with lavendar. It sounded nuts but tastes yummy.
I keep a red hot pepper infused oil for homemade pizza. To die for..

Audra October 9, 2009 at 2:00 pm

How sweet to see him working so hard to surprise his brother. Those moments of thoughtfulness are like sunshine in your day. Love the oil idea too. I finally found an olive oil that tastes good to me so I'll try that soon.

perchesinthesoul October 10, 2009 at 3:10 am

Yum, thanks for sharing the infused oil tips. I will definitely try it this weekend.