Rounding It All Out

September 30, 2009

Yesterday found me back at the sewing machine to finish up my Fall sewing for the kitchen. Once I put the mat in, and we started enjoying it, I realized that we needed just a few more pieces to continue those colors through the room.

Last week I had seen Heather’s version of Handmade Home’s Towel Mat for the kitchen, and I fell in love with it! We use a dish drying rack everyday, so I figured that this would be the perfect way to soak up all the extra water that it generates. I used the same fabric on the front of this piece as I did on the back and border of the floor mat.Those two pieces actually sit very close to one another, so they needed to complement each other well. I had enough fabric and toweling to make two identical pieces, so I went ahead and made a second to get a jump start on my holiday sewing. I know exactly who that is going to.

Millie’s pot holders (again from Handmade Home) were the last piece of Autumn sewing for the kitchen, and I adore these. I have never sewn pot holders, and I really didn’t think that this would be a project I would do. I have to say that these were so quick and easy, and I really love the result.

We tested them out yesterday on our Apple and Pear Breakfast Custard, and they worked perfectly.

Just a bit of Autumn color to spruce up the room our family gathers in so often.

Apple and Pear Breakfast Custard

1 cup of chunky applesauce
1 pear cubed
1 cup of milk (any kind you use)
1 Tbs of honey
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon on cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg

In mixer, blend until smooth

Place in individual custard cups, and place in a water bath. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Refrigerate and enjoy!

gold fawn September 30, 2009 at 3:11 pm

that custard looks so wonderful! I need to make some of those potholders too, on my to do list. xo

Midwest Mom September 30, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love the colors you have chosen for your sewing. (This time last year, I was making a bed quilt for my daughter… Your project makes me want to pull out my scraps to make something new.)

And the custard looks fantastic. Thanks!

– Julia at Midwest Moms

Kaylovesvintage September 30, 2009 at 3:33 pm

oh Heather,that is so nice, I love that mat
guess it would be great to have coffee and custard with you

vanessa/NessieNoodle September 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm

ooh the custard sounds great! desert for breakfast? oh yeah.

and the sewing projects are really fun, I love the way you did the potholders.

The Yellow Door Paperie September 30, 2009 at 3:54 pm

That custard looks amazing. I'll put it on the rotation for breakfast!

Julia September 30, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Those potholders are on my list to do as well. Custard…yum.

Jessica September 30, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Custard is on the menu this weekend for sure! I love how both the towel mat and the pot holders turned out. The fabric choice is perfectly autumn!

... September 30, 2009 at 5:23 pm

inspired again! I definitely want to make those pot holders…very cute and functional.

I have a feeling we'll be trying that custard recipe too.

minivanlife September 30, 2009 at 5:37 pm

Beautiful Heather! I should give those potholders a go myself…I think all mine are stained, burned and/or christmas themed LOL!

annh September 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm

just perfect. I am moving house in the next few days and I think my kitchen will be needing a bit of a lift so will be pinching your ideas. Thanks

Meryl September 30, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Everything looks wonderful, but that custard–oh my! I've been trying to reform myself into eating breakfast every morning, and I can tell a batch of these would be very helpful!

stitching under oaks September 30, 2009 at 8:58 pm

oh, I love all your newly sewn fall home items…especially those pot holders. They are on my list of things to try. I think they would make great gifts. Nice job, Heather!

elizabeth September 30, 2009 at 9:00 pm

thanks for visiting me!

i just browsed through your blog a bit and i will be back to try some of your recipes and get some crafty ideas – you've been making some lovely and yummy looking things! :)

Stephanie September 30, 2009 at 11:11 pm

That custard looks so warm and yummy! Love all of your new sewing projects, I bet they really added some homemade coziness to your kitchen. :)

Emily September 30, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I just saw these posted in the flickr group – thought "how adorable" – not knowing they were yours! Love the dishmat and pot holders – and the custard looks delish.

Valarie October 1, 2009 at 12:36 am

Wow these look so great. I just love all of the great things you are sewing these days. I'm ready to get back home and start sewing and knitting again.

Naturalearthfarm October 1, 2009 at 12:54 am

This is on my list to do too! It will make our strainer tray look so much nicer. Yours looks great! I also want to try the potholders from Handmade Home as well.
Thanks for sharing!

Kristi October 1, 2009 at 1:00 am

I love all the Fall colors !

Paige October 1, 2009 at 1:12 am

Oooo, thank you for sharing the custard recipe! It sounds (and looks) so yummy. Love your potholders, too; I can't wait to dig in to that same book and get busy with the sewing machine!

Kristyn Knits October 1, 2009 at 1:26 am

I'm with everyone else- Love your fall kitchen items! the colors are great! and that custard sounds delicious! thanks for sharing not only the tempting shot but also the recipe!

Heather October 1, 2009 at 1:36 am

Thank you all so much. I had almost no internet access today, so this was wonderful to jump on and read everyone's comments. I am so happy that everyone likes the colors. They make me very happy as well.

The custard is such a favorite. I was given a similar recipe after the birth of my second child, and I adapted it for a stronger taste of Autumn :)

Enjoy!

Ginny October 1, 2009 at 2:38 am

You have me wishing I had a bit more sewing time!!!

6p0105362da902970c October 1, 2009 at 2:39 am

These are so lovely. I love the colors……. and that yummy recipe is going to be on our weekend menu for sure! Thanks for sharing it :)

renee ~ heirloom seasons October 1, 2009 at 2:48 am

Very nice! I have been thinking of making something similar, as our wooden dish strainer collapsed a month ago and I am just laying dishes out on a cloth to dry.
You were right, it was very windy today!!

nzgreenbuttons October 1, 2009 at 8:34 am

I love the pot holders, I'm glad to hear they are easy, they are on my to do list from Handmade home.

Tabiboo October 1, 2009 at 11:31 am

'Mmmmmmmmm' cinnamon and apples!

I'll be posting the recipe for the pie I made last weekend, tomorrow if your still interested in 'what' it is.

take care and have a lovely day,

Nina x

Liv October 1, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I think I need custard help. I tried it this morning (after drooling over it all day yesterday). Here are the questions I am left with. Do you bake it in a water bath or just straight into the oven? Do you serve it warm or cold or either way? Mine is close, but just not quite right. Perhaps it is my ratty dol potholders and if I were just to whip up a set like yours that would solve all 😉

Heather October 1, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Oh, I forgot to say in the post that adding in fresh berries (or even frozen I suppose), is great with this custard as well.

Gerri October 1, 2009 at 11:12 pm

Thanks for the recipe, I definitely will add in some berries. :)

Alison October 2, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Mmmm, we may have to try that custard…

heather October 6, 2009 at 12:16 am

Your dish mat turned out so pretty, I love it! And matching potholders too, its all so lovely.

quirkygranolagirl October 6, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I'm excited to try the custard. I've never made a custard with fruit in it before. Do you bake it in a water bath?

Also, I love the towel dish drying mat. We use flour sack towels under our dish drainer and they are always soaked. Great idea!

Kelly October 8, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Custard, eaten hot or cold? Looks delicious!