Rememberance

September 10, 2009

We are just days away from completing our “fall cleaning” of our house, and very little else has felt this purifying. One of the neatest experiences of this process (and there are very few “neat” things about cleaning out so much clutter), is finding things that bring back wonderful memories. We have poured through 33 years of photographs, letters, baby clothes, scrapbooks and trinkets.

This past weekend, my mother decided to share a few special memories of her own with me. She brought over two wonderful items that she thought I would want to have. The first was her Singer sewing machine from when she was first married to my father (40 years ago on September 20th). I remember her sewing on it when I was a child. She never needed to replace it, it still works fine, and it was something that she cherished. We shared stories on what I remembered about her hand work from my childhood. My mother was a knitter and a sewer long before I was born, and although those were not activities that we shared together until I was older, I still remember many details. One thing that I always remember was that my mom had this cool 1970’s knitting bag that she must have bought shortly before I was born, and that until recently, she still used.

My mother has always been my epitome of a classic woman, I think mainly because she has never had to prove to anyone who she is. I didn’t grow up in what you would call a feminist household, I just grew up in one where there was no such thing as a “place”. We all contributed, we all created, we all shared responsibility, we all spoke together and cherished each other’s advice and experience. So when I saw her doing hand work, it was so intriguing. I envied the way that she could make something so beautiful come alive from a needled and a piece of thread.

So needle and thread she gave to me. The SAME sewing box that sat next to her machine when I was a little one now sits next to mine. I love it, and it is a cherished gift that I will keep with me as long as possible (can you imagine a third generation sewing box?).

I love the thread that is in there. I have no idea how old it is, but the look and feel of it is different from today’s spools. My oldest son is, as we speak, reorganizing the entire box. The child has to be organized, and everything must be in place. From the amount of buttons in the bottom of that box, I would say that this will take him all day.

So now we have a 30 year old sewing box, a 40 year old sewing machine (that is, by the way, heavier to carry than both of my children combined), and a day of handwork ahead.

Whenever we embark on a large project, good food is always a necessity. So today, apple peach corn cake was in order. My oldest son has been drawing cook books for me lately, and yesterday he brought me two that he had completed. The first was for his favorite train cake, and the second, was peach apple corn cake. He had the drawings, and it took him a good ten minutes to explain how I was to decorate it, so I figured that I better get out and get what I needed to make this.

GF corn bread is super easy, and adding to it only enhances it’s diversity. Peaches are still in season, and apples are coming into their own, so they are a wonderful combination this time of year.

This is a recipe that I have been playing around with for a while, and you can use the base for making anything from the most basic of corn bread recipes, to adding almost anything to it. Sweet, savory, or just drizzled with honey, it can always be a base.

Gluten Free Corn Bread Cake
1 cup of white rice flour
3/4 of a cup of GF cornmeal
1/4 cup of honey (this can be omitted if making a savory dish)
2 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 cup of applesauce (you can also use enough egg replacer for 2 eggs, or just 2 eggs)
1 cup of almond milk
1/3 cup of meted butter (I use vegan “butter”, but anything works)
The above is the cornbread base, now you can add anything to it you like

2 peaces cubed
1 cup of chunky homemade applesauce

Preheat oven to 375
grease a 9-10 inch round pan (the size will depend on how much you have added to your cake)
Combine all of the base ingredients together and make sure that they are well combined.
Fold in fruits

Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out done.
Cool for ten minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. As soon as you have transferred to wire rack, spread a small amount of butter on top of the cake

Tomorrow I am so excited to welcome Robyn from the One Hundred Hats Project for the Artist at Work series. I will be back on Sunday with a recipe for GF apple turnovers, and a Sunday Citar quote.

Next week I will be tackling the ever daunting task of testing GF bread recipes. I’ll let you know how it goes :)

Happy weekends my friends. Hope it is a great one.

stitching under oaks September 10, 2009 at 5:45 pm

how great to have the legacy of creating passed down to you from your mom. so neat that she was able to gift you two of her treasures! i know you'll enjoy them both.

Sigrun September 10, 2009 at 6:10 pm

I was also lucky enough to get a lot of sewing, stitching and knitting treasures from both my mother and my mother-in-law. I think I'll post about them, too. Check out my purple potatoes on my latest post. The boys might enjoy seeing them, too.

Ann September 10, 2009 at 7:17 pm

I have my mothers old recipe book: she used to write out favourites, cut and paste articles from magazines and keep costs of making Christmas Cakes. It is amazing to look back on and as children we would draw on the pages that she was working from and so we can see our drawings from way back then.
thanks for bring back the memories.

Chelsea September 10, 2009 at 7:21 pm

What beautiful things to have in your family! I inherited my mother's first sewing machine, as well — a gift she received for her high school graduation and the machine I learned to sew on. Its so wonderful that you'll get to share them with your sons, now (especially with the idea that handcraft does not have a gender-assignment, I really like that idea)!

julesinseach September 10, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I think you know how partial I am to my own hand me down Singer….

They ARE so HEAVY!!!!!

I hope you have a really nice weekend full of making so more yummy things.

Audra September 10, 2009 at 7:49 pm

I inherited my grandmothers sewing box, it's really kind of ugly but I love it because it was hers. Using something like that ties you even more to that person because you can remember them using it. Wonderful. Your apple peach corn cake looks beautiful! I love when my kids have a specific recipe request, you know you are doing something right!

Green Acres in the City September 10, 2009 at 8:40 pm

What a wonderful story. I remember learning to sew on my mom's Singer Touch and Sew. Such wonderful memories. Recently she sat down and taught me to knit. I never knew she could do it. I knew my Nana, her mother, could but not my mom. She did teach me as a young girl to cross stich, such a passion of mine that has been set asside it seems since kids came along. You have inspired me to pull that out again. Moms are just plain wonderful. Have a blessed weekend yourself!

Sarah September 10, 2009 at 9:01 pm

That cake looks delicious, thank you for sharing.

6p00e55368e0ad8834 September 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Good luck on the bread! I am eagerly waiting for the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day book, it is a whole grain and gluten free recipe book that will hit the shelves in October.
Enjoy your weekend!

Elana September 10, 2009 at 11:38 pm

Great story. I know much you love things that tell a family story.

Kristyn Knits September 11, 2009 at 12:59 am

how wonderful to have such cherished items given to you from your mother! I'm sure you'll use them and think of her each step of the way.

when my grandmother died in november, I received most of her crafting items- knitting needles, pattern books, yarn, and her quilt frame. when I use her items I imagine her watching me, almost guiding me during my project.

thanks for sharing this!

Tammy September 11, 2009 at 1:47 am

I have a few treasures from my parents, and they are very special. Thanks for sharing the story.

cagio September 11, 2009 at 4:16 am

Drawing cookbooks! Well that's about the sweetest thing. They must know how much extra work mom puts in to make GF delicious.

I love the sewing box and the little smiling cats in one of the panels. So very nice.

Congratulations on seeing an end to your cleaning. It seems like a long time ago that I read you started – but really when I look back for the post – you made really good progress.

And thanks for visiting my blog – I get yours on email and love every post. I feel pretty special to think you've been to our little family blog. Thanks for making your readers feel part of the family.

Geek+Nerd September 11, 2009 at 11:29 am

That cake looks delicious! And you are so lucky to have such wonderful things from your mother. I especially love the sewing box. The patchwork print is too awesome. Cheers!

Meghan September 11, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I wonder what it must seem like to our parents and grandparents that we are so interested in items that they might see as being outdated or not even functional?

I love the idea of your kids making you cookbooks. With all of the baking you do, it seems like a great way to preserve the recipes for the whole family.

Hip Mountain Mama September 11, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Love the sewing box!

renee ~ heirloom seasons September 12, 2009 at 4:56 am

What wonderful treasures… the sewing machine, sewing box, and the memories!
The peach cornbread looks really yummy. Maybe I will bake that with the girls next week. Thanks for all the good recipes lately :)

larissa September 13, 2009 at 5:54 pm

i absolutely adore the sewing box your mom gifted you! I love the way you speak of your mom as an independent woman who made beautiful things with her hands – there is no doubt that is how your boys will remember you! you are a great mom!