Happiness Is…..

September 25, 2009

Warm banana bread with milk chocolate chips

Fresh pesto from the garden harvest

My favorite apple butter, infusing the morning with the aroma of Autumn.

Slow Cooker Apple Butter

8 Granny smith or other apples cored peeled and sliced
1 C. sweetened, dried cranberries
4 Tbls. Brown Sugar, Packed
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 C. water
Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on LOW for 6hrs. Use a potato masher or a hand-blender to mix or mash until the sauce is the desired texture

What brings you happiness today?

Julia September 25, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I love love love apple butter, but the kind I grew up on was bought and not made.

Your's looks even yummier.

PS. I saw your letter satchel on Amanda's site! So pretty.

Happy week's end.

Chris Worthy September 25, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Heather, these look so good! Do you freeze your pesto? I am looking forward to slow cooker appleSAUCE in a few weeks. : )

Heather September 25, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I do freeze it, and I love it. I put a layer of olive oil on the top, then a piece of wax paper, then pop it in the freezer.

Slow cooker apple butter is the best :)

... September 25, 2009 at 5:22 pm

thanks for this recipe…I had the notion that you could make applesauce this way, which I bet you could if you just didn't heat it as long.

and i agree these are pure happiness.

Chelsea September 25, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I've had apple butter on the brain lately — this recipe sounds so yum. +Chelsea

kmberrien September 25, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Our apple tree is dropping apples all over the backyard. I'll have to try your recipe this weekend. Sounds great!

Catie September 25, 2009 at 6:52 pm

That bread looks so yummy – where did you get the recipe?

6p00e54edd22a88833 September 25, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Oh this all looks tasty. I think the apple butter might be next on my list of the apple sauce I made the other day.

kyndale September 25, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Hi Heather! I'm still a bit queezy from being sick but these pictures of your food make me think about being hungry!!

Hip Mountain Mama September 25, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I am craving me some pesto now!
I am finding happiness in this amazing weather today!

Heather September 25, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Catie,

Thanks everyone. Apple butter is just so wonderful this time of year. Especially if you are using Honey Crisp apples.

Catie, the bread recipe is Blue Ribbon Banana Bread from the book Easy Gluten-Free Baking. Pamela's also has a recipe on their All-Purpose Flour that I love. The recipes do not call for chocolate chips, but I just folded a cup in right at the end :)

Oh Kyndale, I am so sorry that you are still sick.

Green Acres in the City September 25, 2009 at 10:27 pm

I am so making this this weekend. Thanks for the tip on freezing it. Patrick loves apple butter. When thawed how long can I keep it in the fridge? Does the olive oil change the flavor at all?

kate September 26, 2009 at 12:17 am

i love love love banana bread. warm butter all melted in there….mmm! so good.

thanks so much for stopping by my blog today.

cheers,
kate (thecleanplateclub.net)

Valarie September 26, 2009 at 1:01 am

Hi Heather! Thank you Thank you for the slow cooker apple butter recipe. Last year we had so many apples and I cooked the applebutter the old fashion way in the oven. It took days…..I never thought of the crock pot. Everything looks so delicious.

Hilarie Mae September 26, 2009 at 1:32 am

I can't wait to try this out! I just bought a bunch of apples and some of them will definitely be allocated to apple butter!

patty-jean September 26, 2009 at 2:12 am

I can almost smell this as I'm reading the recipe! Look forward to trying this – Thanks!

gardenmama September 26, 2009 at 2:28 am

your banana bread looks incredible, i can just taste it now! your banner looks so lovely heather, your blog is always so beautiful and relaxing!
thank you for posting the apple butter recipe, i am excited to try it! happiness on this day was a tea party in celebration of this beautiful new season!

At Home Mommy Knits September 26, 2009 at 2:32 am

We have a basket of apples sitting on our table from the tree in our yard. Your recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

renee ~ heirloom seasons September 26, 2009 at 5:42 am

I am happy that autumn has arrived, and that we had a wonderful first week of 3rd grade homeschool, and that Jason is healthy, safe, and will be home soon!
And I am happy that you posted a yummy apple butter recipe. Hopefully we can harvest some more apples soon and try making some. Thanks!

Kaylovesvintage September 26, 2009 at 7:54 am

can I come for coffee and I would stay for dinner
have a good weekend

Em September 26, 2009 at 8:22 am

oh yum!

Anastasia September 26, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I agree, the real essence of happiness lies in small pleasures. Your recipe sounds delicious! I love apples! Apple tarts and apple pies, apple strudels and apple cakes.

Geek+Nerd September 27, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Mmm, I love apple butter. And I love your blog, that's my happiness at this very second!

eringoodman September 27, 2009 at 8:52 pm

i havea never tried apple butter…you are inspiring me to give it a go this week!!!!

as for my happiness…settling into being home after a glorious week in the woods with my family and many new friends.

so nice.

Naturalearthfarm September 27, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Your post was beautiful once again, Heather. That recipe sounds delicious. Maybe I can slow cook the apple butter on our woodstove….

Happiness for me today was standing in the cool rain with my husband and six children watching the close of fall baseball with an all day tournament – observing the children helping one another and cheering their brother on.
Happiness continued with warming ourselves up by the woodstove upon arriving home and the smells of soup cooking and bread baking for supper.

larissa September 28, 2009 at 1:42 am

Heather thanks so much for that recipe – apples and cranberries – yum! I've never known the difference between apple butter and apple sauce but this sounds perfect. I'll have to go dig out my slow cooker. and I, too, always put chocolate chips in my banana bread – why not?

Heather September 28, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Thank you all so much! I am glad that the recipe sounds yummy, it is truly one of my favorites. It is like aromatherapy and gastronomic bliss all rolled into one.

I hope that you all had a wonderful weekend.

karim September 29, 2009 at 9:57 am

An insightfull post. Will definitely help.

Thanks,
Karim – Mind Power

Gerri October 1, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I am going apple picking this Saturday and my friend Tabitha at Fresh Mommy is going to show me how to cook up some yummy apple butter. Looking forward to it!

Anonymous October 5, 2009 at 10:05 am

Hi, Sorry to ask a question to which the answer is probably obvious…. but what does one use Apple Butter for? Thanks!
Carol.