A Patchwork of Fun

September 29, 2009

As everything else in life, my crafting seems to move in phases. At this moment, I am deep in wool and home love. The wool for my family: mittens, socks, hats and comfy sweaters. The love of my home in sewing curtains, cushions, bedding and decor.

Yesterday was spent mainly in the sewing room, with the mama enjoying the fun that a random patchwork kitchen mat can bring, my oldest son working on his own Halloween 16 patch blanket, and my youngest learning to hand sew. It was a very full day of needles and thread.

For the kitchen mat, I used the pattern from the wonderful book Patchwork Style, and the only thing that I can say is that if the rest of the projects bring me as much joy as this one did, I may have found a new favorite.

This project was one that had a long journey through my mind and imagination. I had so much fun picking out the fabric scraps that would be used for the mat, and then spent many an hour on the design board trying to put together exactly what I wanted it to look like. Of course, this is a random patchwork design, so it came together without looking anything like I had planned, which was good because I adore it as is.

I needed some fall coloring in the house, and the chocolates and rose, greens and blues were just what I wanted.

This mat is a very easy project to complete, but it is wonderfully time consuming as well. I say wonderful because the way that this mat is constructed really allows you to enjoy the process as you are going along. Machine quilting each piece as you go, deciding where the next one will be placed, and watching your design and fabric take shape.

So now we have a lovely mat to greet us while we cook together in the kitchen, and my boys have a sweet place to put those newly warm toes of theirs.

... September 29, 2009 at 3:14 pm

this is beautiful…between this and your bathroom mat I am totally inspired to change the look in my own bathroom and kitchen with these projects myself.

kmberrien September 29, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I love your mat! Perfect fall colors!

Its_Lily September 29, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Someone is going to have very toasty toes for the season. Just lovely.

Kristen September 29, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Good job on the mat. I started that project but never got around to finishing it. Yours is way prettier than mine was turning out to be.

Naturalearthfarm September 29, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Wow, that mat is great. I bought that book for our library (one wonderful benefit of being the librarian) but as a novice stitcher, I have a hard time following the directions. I know, though, if I ever have an afternoon where dear husband takes the children out, I could probably follow the steps.
I also enjoy sewing with my children. Making simple patchwork designs is a great way to start with them. They feel as if they are accomplishing something right away. My daughter sewed a patchwork seat cushion for my secretary's chair. I cherish it.

Heather September 29, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Thanks everyone!

Tonya, I totally had those same feelings when I first looked at it. I just really ended up cutting the base and batting pieces to the size they called for, and then once it came to the patchwork, I just followed my own way. The quilting steps are so easy, and putting the trim on at the end was by far the simplest step.

Elizabeth, I really needed to get some home love into the mix. It is helping me feel a bit cheerier about the cold weather and many hours indoors that is soon to arrive.

Kristine, I would love to see yours. I had to really fight my way through to finish it. I just kept telling myself yesterday "think of how much you will love this when you are done :)" It is tedious though, and if I had stopped, no idea if I would have started again. I suppose that one way to do it too would be to use bigger pieces, that would help to get through it a bit quicker.

Lily, my kiddos LOVE socks (actually, they love anything cozy and warm). Every September we have a few weeks of nothing but sock knitting. Then we move on to mittens and hats, sweaters, etc :)

Thanks Kiran, I just can't get enough of Fall colors.

stitching under oaks September 29, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Heather, that mat looks great…you've really got me thinking outside the box when it comes to floor mats. thanks! and those sweet feet in those adorable socks….perfect!

the nest September 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm

mmm… it so cozy looking! really nice! i'm having a lovin' being at home day today, pasta sauce bubbling, little one hosting a "wedding", a bit of birthday toy knitting for a little friend, kitty nearby… happy home!

best – annri

larissa September 29, 2009 at 5:42 pm

I love the mat and good thinking on choosing the darker colors! those socks are absolutely adorable – I need to knit more socks for my kiddos.

Julia September 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm

well, yet another pair of adorable crafts. That mat is just sublime and the socks…don't even get me started on socks.

I have tried, but just can't get the hang of knitting them.

You make me want to try again though, which is all a girl can ask for.

Love the pictures.

gardenmama September 29, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Beautiful Heather!
I love the colors you chose, so cozy!
Our minds are on the same things these days, wool and nesting : )

KusZ - Jewelry and more September 29, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Such a fun mat! It really worked out great. And socks, oh socks. I would love to learn to knit socks…

Lily Boot September 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Oh Heather I love it! I too have that book and am really enjoying the projects. I loved looking at the fabrics you used and seeing if any of them live here with me – and they do – the little square of green floral in the middle – it's in my quilt that's currently on the back of our sofa – I adore green and pink. As for enjoying the time it took, I read the perfect quotation for this yesterday – "Pray that this unspoken bliss might last just one more hour." I don't know where it is from – it was painted on the wall of a lovely old farmhouse in a magazine I was reading.

gold fawn September 29, 2009 at 11:18 pm

I just ordered Patchwork Style and super can't wait for it! I can't wait to be able to "turn a heel"… right now I am getting the hang of dpns for a bit before trying anything as ambitious as socks. happy fall! xo

Stephanie September 29, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Love the kitchen mat! Great warm colors and nice socks to warm those toes!!

Sigrun September 30, 2009 at 12:12 am

I love that you do so many things with your youngsters. When I think back, I spent a lot of time by my kids, but often they were doing their thing and I was doing my thing. I do have wonderful memories of us gardening together. I really like the homey projects. Are you skid-proofing the mat, or is it heavy enough to stay put?

Hip Mountain Mama September 30, 2009 at 12:30 am

Oh my, I love that kitchen mat…I would love something like that for my kitchen…geez I have got to get over to your house some time soon to see all these new things! Must learn to sew….

livingslowly September 30, 2009 at 1:05 am

I am right with you. My mood and attention are all about crafting things for the home and holidays. I feel like I can't work fast enough. That mat is also on my list. I just love how yours turned out too – chocolates and reds are some of my favorite colors. I really need to get a copy of that book!

Imene September 30, 2009 at 1:15 am

Oh my I'm not sure I would make this one. It is so beautiful I would have to hang it on a wall. Imagine tomato sauce or food stains on it ;o)
It is so beautiful

renee ~ heirloom seasons September 30, 2009 at 1:29 am

I love the colors you chose for the mat. Beautiful! I don't really have many sewing books, I think I will have to check that one out.

minivanlife September 30, 2009 at 2:22 pm

That mat is so pretty! Good for you for teaching those sons to sew. My almost 9yr old boy loves it!

beki September 30, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Very pretty! I love jumping into patchwork projects, just letting them flow. Yours is the second kitchen mat I've seen, and I totally need one.
I've also been into home sewing lately. Fall always brings out my nesting instincts. I have two sets of curtains to make at this very moment :)

kyndale September 30, 2009 at 3:10 pm

how sweet! I love the colors and the design is great! Hope you're having a great day. Smiles, Kyndale

Heather September 30, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Beki, curtains are my next project. WE are in desperate need of some.

Brandy, the kids LOVE to sew. That is by their favorite craft right now. I usually have to set a timer so that they do not sit there all day :). The only problem is that they have begun to argue over whose turn it is on the machine.

Renee, check that book out! It rocks

Imene, I have the same fears. Fingers crossed :)

Michelle, those colors really made the mat for me. I think that if I had used white, I just wouldn't have enjoyed watching it get dirty

Suzy, come on over girl. You know that door is always open

Sigrun, I did slip-proof it. I added latex caulk to the bottom, which helped. It was like ice skating with out it.

Stephanie, I hope that you are feeling better girl. Been sending you some good energy

Mindy, Can't wait to see what you do with the projects in the book :). Turn the hell girl, I promise it is super easy. There is a great video at http://www.knittinghelp.com

Lily, thank you for that quote. It honestly sums up exactly how I felt

Kuz, if you can do jewelry with those tiny beads, socks should be a piece of cake

Lisa, it is so funny, because before last week, I never even thought about sewing floor mats.

Annri, that sounds like a perfect at home day to me. I hope I get one like that soon :)

Nicole, wool and nesting, nothing better :)

Julia, I have seen what you knit, socks should be a snap. I love the pattern from Knitting Pure and Simple (it really is simple :))

Larissa, we are in sock knitting frenzy here. I can't ever seem to make enough

Gerri October 1, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I love the idea of making delicious, cozy things for my family. I am trying to relearn how to crochet, wish me well. Right now I am enjoying using essential oils and giving my boy foot and back massages. I love to nurture him. :)