Weekend Comfort

August 14, 2009

The blanket that I was working on came out in a fun manner, but not quite as I thought that it would. I used the same set of sheets that I have made many other projects from in the past few weeks as the backing, and then a light colored piece of linen for the front

To add some fun to the top of the blanket, I chose to hand embroider a few circles in different pieces from my fabric stash. One of the things that I like about the circles is the sort of random nature they bring to the blanket. I just sewed them on wherever my hand took me, and there is no pattern or “sense” to their placement.

If I had to do it over again (or perhaps add on in the future), I would have bound the blanket, rather then just zigzagging around. I think that it would have added another color dimension to the finished piece. For now, the kids were eager to cuddle up under it, and I just couldn’t resist their excitement.

In the end, even though the blanket is perfect sized for the children while reading or snuggling in the evenings, I think that it may be used more for an outdoor playmat. The draping is a bit stiff, and I think that it will work well for picnics and days at the river enjoying the coming fall foliage.

It was a fun piece to sew, and I think that I have fallen in love with using embroidered circles as embellishment.

Whatever this piece brings, it is a fun addition to our collection.

Ann August 14, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for sharing your ideas and I just loved your little blanket. I have a great neice who is juist one year old and her name is Poppy, so guess what – I think I will embelish my blanket with Poppies.
Thanks

Heather August 14, 2009 at 6:25 pm

Oh Ann, that will be so cute! I can't wait to see. If you have a blog, or a flickr account, let me know and I will look forward to seeing the finished product :)

julesinseach August 14, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I despise working with binding/bias tape so I am really enjoying the zig-zagging that you did.

I use machine embroidered patches on the little boys pants for the Farmer's Markets.
Just a little something unexpected on an everyday essential.

The creamy linen is smashing. Such a great contrast to the pretty florals.

Happy Weekend.

kyndale August 14, 2009 at 8:40 pm

What a really great idea. I love circles and I love blankets. I would say, I'm a blanket collector even. Have a great weekend! Smiles, Kyndale

Kristine August 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I love quilts and homemade blankets for sitting on outside. This one looks beautiful!
K.

Green Acres in the City August 15, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the idea. I have some flannel sheets that Mr. Miller hates, but they would make a great quilt. Hmmmm. Oh the possiblities!

Kim August 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm

That is adorable! I have so enjoyed seeing the things you've made out of that sheet. It is going on to be very useful indeed, yes?

Naturalearthfarm August 17, 2009 at 12:52 pm

The blanket looks wonderful. A friend just dropped off some second hand sheet sets and I have been dreaming up some ideas with them.
We could use a new out and about blanket as fall baseball has just begun.
Warm wishes.