Vintage

August 13, 2009

Last night I think that I experienced the worst case of food poisoning that I have had in a while. I did not get a chance to finish the blanket that I had been working on, so that will have to wait for tomorrow.

For today, a few vintage favorites from a recent thrift store trip. I have to tell you that I can not seem to stay out of the thrift stores. Ever since I really got into vintage repurposing, it seems that I have to talk myself out of making daily trips to find something just “perfect” for the next project that I am concocting in my head.

This trip yielded a lot of incredible finds, and I will certainly put them to good use in the near future.

One of my faves are these stunning lace doilies. I have little experience on how to sew these onto fabric, but I am working hard to find the right technique to do so. I can only imagine how pretty they would be as a table runner for the Winter Solstice.

A hand knit baby cap that I am hoping to adorn a little girl with someday (yes, I have it in my mind that the next baby will be a girl, and I refuse to think otherwise :))

Handkerchiefs for the upcoming cold weather and inevitable runny noses

I fell in love with these snowflakes, and I can see them hanging in a garland over the fireplace for winter celebrations

Small pillowcases that I am hoping to turn into little girl dresses for a few special friends

While not thrifted, this piece is something I hold so dear to my heart. My maternal grandparents passed on before I was born, and this is the only thing that I have as a connection to them. This bowl was my grandmother’s, and I am trying to restore it the best that I can to use as a part of all of our family celebrations. I have been working for weeks to try and remove all of the tarnish, and I am getting so desperate that I am about to take it to a silversmith to see if they can help. This is a true treasure and I hope to one day pass it on to my little ones.

There is something about thrifting that just brings about a feeling of the past, of a time that was a bit slower, more focused on the art of creating beautiful memories, and a sense of pride in craftsmanship. I am so excited to use these wonderful pieces to create something new.

julesinseach August 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Heather, I love that family bowl. Varnish and all. I think the varnish adds so much personality to it, it lets you know that it is old and well used.

I am addicted to old silver. I have a collection in the attic that is patiently waiting for me to find just the right corner hutch to put them all in.

Thrift stores open every day?!?!?! I would be in SERIOUS trouble. You scored some real finds.

I'm sorry you got sick. I hope you are feeling better.

Eva August 13, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Everything is so beautiful. I love the lace, and the handkerchiefs are to die for. Nice finds

julesinseach August 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Oh, I forgot.

The thing that gets varnish off the best for me is Green Works natural dish detergent in Water Lily ( by Clorox) and the rough part of a scrubbie sponge.

It leaves the finest little marks from the abrasion, but they buff out pretty easily.

I didn't know if you tried anything like that yet.

kyndale August 13, 2009 at 6:36 pm

I hope you are feeling better from the food poisoning!!

I hope too that you will have a liitle girl in your future. I love all your finds!

renee ~ heirloom seasons August 13, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Such beautiful treasures you found! I have many lace doilies that were made by my grandmother, some are even unfinished with the working thread still attached! I often use them on our winter nature table. I hope you are feeling much better!

Rebecca August 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Everything is lovely. Enjoy creating

Green Acres in the City August 13, 2009 at 8:31 pm

I understand the addiction. It is my favorite friday night date with Patrick. I will think "pink" for you!!!!

stitching under oaks August 13, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Hope you're feeling better. Those really are great finds! I adore that sweet little baby hat. It will look precious on your little girl! :)

Imene August 14, 2009 at 12:58 am

Have you tried cleaning it with a mixture of ashes and lemon. I know i sound crazy but my mom does that and her silver just start shining no matter how dull.

Hip Mountain Mama August 14, 2009 at 2:07 am

Love those snowflakes! We should learn how to make those!

gennysent August 14, 2009 at 12:25 pm

so sorry about the food poisoning. I've had it several times (I think always from eating at restaurants, not home!) and it is no fun.

yay for vintage finds!

-genny

Heather August 14, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Thank you all for your pink thoughts. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my boys, but I would be so excited to be able to raise both boys and girls (and all those cute dresses to sew).

Also, thanks for the tarnish suggestions. It has been so frustrating to get it off, and I am going to give all your advice a try.

Happy weekend :)

Kerry August 15, 2009 at 6:11 pm

What fun finds! I had a good trip to our local thrift shop this week too. Yay for reusing and repurposing!

Larissa August 17, 2009 at 8:51 pm

i love all that vintage-y goodness. can't wait to see the wonderful ways you'll repurpose them! and I agree with lisa – that baby cap will be just perfect for your little girl!