Throwing It All Out The Window

August 18, 2009

OK, so maybe not the window, but it was the trash can. Last night, I had quite an argument with some bias tape that I was using to line an arm hole of a tunic. It honestly got to the point where at just after midnight, I picked the tape up, and threw it in the trash. Of course, I had to go back and get it this morning, and it now has an odd bit of a smell.

There are just those moments when nothing seems to come together. I think that most of these moments can be chalked up to the fact that, at some point during a project, I turn my brain off. Now I know that this is my fault, and I don’t necessarily blame the bias tape, but I just think that it could have been a little bit more friendly. I mean really, I had to put the tape on the wrong way four times??? It could not have given me a gentle reminder that I was about to repeat a mistake, albeit the opposite way, that I had just made 6 seconds earlier? No, it apparently could not.

So with only five hours until I had to be awake, what did I do? I decided to embellish a bag. I have no misunderstanding about the fact that some times, I am just plain silly. I was not about to go to bed feeling so blue, and earlier in the week I had decided that it would be fun to take a very boring bag

and spruce it up.

I added four simple circles and fused them to the wool. With a little hand embroidery (the wool was so thick I did not even need a hoop), it was done and ready for the mornings adventures.

The bias tape and I are going to meet again this afternoon, and I for one hope that it arrives in a much better mood.

Chelsea August 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm

lady, you must need very little sleep! I'm envious. :)

Green Acres in the City August 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm

I did that with my new knitting needles and yarn. This should not be that difficult to learn. My mom is here and had not knitted in over 30 years, she picked them up and said here you go. Moms we will always need them. Love the bag!

Ann August 18, 2009 at 6:22 pm

I nearly bought a bag this afternoon whilst shopping and then I thought, no I have ones at home that I can do something with and lo and behold I switch on my computer and there is your lovely bag – thanks for the inspiration.

julesinseach August 18, 2009 at 6:22 pm

The bag is the perfect tote for the matching blanket.

Bias tape and I are long time enemies…teetering on the verge of restraining orders I tell you.

I hope that the two of you can reconcile and that the tunic is not a casualty.

Take a nap!

Gina August 18, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Cute bag. I like the idea of easy embellishments on things that we already own

stitching under oaks August 18, 2009 at 7:53 pm

you show that bias tape who's the boss! love the new look you gave your bag.

Heather August 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Chelsea, I actually have weird insomnia that comes and goes, and on those nights that it is here, I actually do get a lot done. Then again, I am a walking zombie the next day.

Ann, how cool that you have some bags at home to embelish. Can't wait to see them!

Jules, a restraining order, I need that!

Thanks everyone for your comments :)

Stephanie August 18, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Love the bag, those circles make the bag so hip and modern!!

I think you need to sit down with your bias tape and have a good chat, maybe then it will cooperate. :) Good luck!!!

gennysent August 18, 2009 at 11:16 pm

funny, I am so into wool right now and also circles. Do you turn under your circles before you sew them on? I am busy *hand* sewing/applique-ing a circle with some bamboo quilting fiber underneath..a lovely scrap of Amy Butler fabric.

I love the way that heavy wool feels! I want to felt some that I got last week…it is "felt" but I want to see what will happen if I wash it…??? ( I think it's 35% wool)…
-glad to hear from you Heather!
-genny

kyndale August 19, 2009 at 2:40 am

you were very determined to finish Heather. It's your determination. The bag turned out beautifully!

renee ~ heirloom seasons August 19, 2009 at 3:05 am

I'm sorry Heather, but I just had to laugh and laugh! Please forgive me :)

Gerri August 19, 2009 at 3:18 am

Simply adorable. I love it. :)

Jasie VanGesen August 19, 2009 at 4:41 pm

The bag turned out really pretty!

I HATE bias tape. Just hate it. It never cooperates with me.

Larissa August 19, 2009 at 9:48 pm

I love what those four circles did to your bag – so designer! and store bought bias tape and i have never gotten along – all i can say is try steaming it(with iron) into the shape of the underarm first. but be warned that this only works half the time – the other times i just blame the bias tape.